Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here taking a dislike against Amazon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

My friend thinks Amazon are great too and buys loads of gimicky overpriced Chinese crap from them too... me ... I I can’t understand why so many obsessed with them... they are never the cheapest for anything I’ve ever searched for ... even with their “deals “. I’ve got one or two of their Chinese brand products but feel I paid too much in hindsight for what it was... u get it cheaper on wish or eBay probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

While I use it a lot, the one thing that really gets my goat are the bullsh!t fake reviews and how lethargically Amazon addresses it. And it's so obvious... wow 5 stars... and the first 5 reviewers all decided to post unboxing pictures too... wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

LillySV wrote: »
    My friend thinks Amazon are great too and buys loads of gimicky overpriced Chinese crap from them too... me ... I I can’t understand why so many obsessed with them... they are never the cheapest for anything I’ve ever searched for ... even with their “deals “. I’ve got one or two of their Chinese brand products but feel I paid too much in hindsight for what it was... u get it cheaper on wish or eBay probably

Amazon used to be great then it turned into fleabay.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oink wrote: »
    My understanding of Amazon is that its single purpose is to make money by any legal means necessary.
    My understanding of any business is that its single purpose is to make money by any legal means necessary.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

the_syco wrote: »
    My understanding of any business is that its single purpose is to make money by any legal means necessary.

Well, well, well. Speaking of illegal abuse of market dominance. Look what popped up in my feed:

https://www.thejournal.ie/amazon-european-competition-charges-5261930-Nov2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

SB71 wrote: »
    agreed the service is flawless ...

Is it? I'm waiting for something that was promised to arrive by 20h00 on the 10th. Just got a message from Amazon telling me that it's delayed and will be delivered on the 12th. This isn't the first time my Amazon orders have stalled somewhere, so it's definitely not a "flawless" service; and it doesn't really count as a "good" service either if they didn't know by lunchtime that my package hadn't got to whatever local depot is supposed to be handling it.
    I'd make a plea to all of you to do your damnedest to buy as many Christmas presents as possible from local retailers this year.
    Buy Christmas presents? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes I take a big dislike to Amazon. I buy through them occasionally but less and less, I will try everywhere else first or sometimes go without.

They were the beneficiaries of corporatism when they were originally exempted from Sales Tax in the US and more recently their brick and mortar competitors have been forced to shutter or (in the US) burned/looted by political establishment-backed mobs.

Their evilness is obvious to anyone who cares to see it.

They use their monopoly power to drive wages down to the lowest common denominator, create sweatshop conditions and they want to bring labour rights back to the gilded age of the 1850s-1910s before trade unions.

Not surprised lots on here support them almost pridefully.

Often they aren't any cheaper than competitors once you factor in postage. And the quality of the goods can be quite low. I got a Kindle as a gift and it quickly broke. You only lease e-books and Amazon can revoke or delete them.

In the end they are mostly just a mail order service like you had at the turn of the last century. Back in 1900-1940s ordering things such as books through the post was a big craze.

Only the spoiltness of this generation leads to the belief that clicking a button so that someone can send you something in the post is impressive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cordell wrote: »
    The fact it turned into some sort of ebay - a marketplace with too much dropshipping from China.
    At multiples of the price. If I didn't mind waiting I'll go to Aliexpress. If I've to go through several pages I probably go there anyway .

RANT
    - where is the button in Amazon or Ebay to filter out stuff that isn't either here, the UK or Europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

growleaves wrote: »
    Only the spoiltness of this generation leads to the belief that clicking a button so that someone can send you something in the post is impressive.

But it is impressive, a few clicks and i have everything I want. Amazon makes shopping enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

I see the reasoning behind 'shop local' 'brick and mortar' etc etc. I even still miss the days of going to rent a film from a store (Damn you Netflix!!) but at the end of the day, you cannot compete with the likes of Amazon on any level. It's easy to say support local independant stores but when it comes to our own money, can anyone honestly say they are happy to pay more for the same item from the shop down the street than go online for far less??

An example I have from today; I pre-ordered a book from Amazon in September, paid £26 for it, it shipped today and during the time from when I ordered to when it dispatached, the price varied, lowest price it hit was £21 so Amazon just refunded me the £5 difference. Tell me a local book shop that will do that for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

can anyone honestly say they are happy to pay more for the same item from the shop down the street than go online for far less??
    Depends on the item and how much it costs. If I can find it locally I'm willing to pay more to have it fast and shop locally.
    It's not always just the price, sometimes you need advice or no hassle returns, this is why you can accept to pay more.
    For stuff like computer components or games, there is no brick and mortar option, and the Irish online shops are quite overpriced. Even so, sometimes I order locally if the extra cost is not too much just to get it faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

If I find a better deal on Amazon than normal shops I always buy from Amazon.

Amazon is great along with Ebay.

I usually have a quick scout first around the likes of Argos, electrical stores websites first but generally the amazon prices beats them every time significantly.

I have no sympathy for Irish electrical stores when there fleecing people every day on piece of crap laptops specifically.

Cordell wrote: »
    Depends on the item and how much it costs. If I can find it locally I'm willing to pay more to have it fast and shop locally.
    It's not always just the price, sometimes you need advice or no hassle returns, this is why you can accept to pay more.
    For stuff like computer components or games, there is no brick and mortar option, and the Irish online shops are quite overpriced. Even so, sometimes I order locally if the extra cost is not too much just to get it faster.

You're right. If there is only a few € in the difference (say €20 vs. €22) I will buy in the shop. I guess it all depends what you buy on Amazon or other online retailers too, for me I never buy clothes online due to sizing and the hassle of returning. Shoes no problem.

For me, I mainly use online for for either electrical goods or books and local brick and mortar just cannot compete with giants like Amazon.

If people prefer to support local then great go ahead it is nice to see brick and mortar still surviving somewhat. But to call corps. such as Amazon 'Evil' doesn't make sense to me, they saw a gap in the market and went for it, props to them.

Anyone interested should check out a podcast series called Business Wars. Very interesting and just shows how businesses work in order to get on top (there's even one on Amazon Vs. Walmart). The whole point in starting a business is to dominate the market and hopefully put your competitors out of business, sounds harsh but that is the reality... If you had a bakery shop on the high street, would you like to have 3 other bakeries down the street or be the only one in town selling cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

For some items amazon are miles ahead. 100 discs of high quality sandpaper for an orbital sander = £15. Five discs of comparable quality although well known brand in woodies = €9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Looking forward when Enic sell Tottenham Hotspur club to Bezos.

DilD wrote: »
    I see the reasoning behind 'shop local' 'brick and mortar' etc etc. I even still miss the days of going to rent a film from a store (Damn you Netflix!!) but at the end of the day, you cannot compete with the likes of Amazon on any level. It's easy to say support local independant stores but when it comes to our own money, can anyone honestly say they are happy to pay more for the same item from the shop down the street than go online for far less??

An example I have from today; I pre-ordered a book from Amazon in September, paid £26 for it, it shipped today and during the time from when I ordered to when it dispatached, the price varied, lowest price it hit was £21 so Amazon just refunded me the £5 difference. Tell me a local book shop that will do that for you?

Haven’t found a single item I’m interested in that amazon are cheaper on. Then again I research things before buying

Haven’t found a single item I’m interested in that amazon are cheaper on. Then again I research things before buying

I'm by no means someone who runs to Amazon for every purchase I make, in fact I only buy off Amazon probably 5 or so times a year.

I thoroughly research also, even too much at times, but there are items on Amazon which are much cheaper than other places, primarily books. And that's not including the superior delivery service/price and customer support they offer. As others have mentioned, some stores within Ireland still seem to think it's acceptable to charge outrageous shipping prices and up to 10 days or more for delivery.

I purchased a book eariler in the year from Amazon that was shipped from New York and I recieved it on the third day. Just another example of how they provide a fantastic service that's hard to criticize.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,405 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An Irish website Mcds.ie advertised all day on Virgin Media, I decided to check it out
    Due to an unprecedented early surge in demand we are temporarily not accepting any new orders online at this time. Please bear with us. We will reopen the checkout in a few days . Thank you for your patience.

Honestly how hard can it jaysus be to get it right? A 'few days' to fix and people wonder why Irish online shopping is brutal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

the_syco wrote: »

Some have a lot more morals and are more pro human than others.

For some, money is a ruinous mania, for others just a tool or not something to care about once you have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

An Irish website Mcds.ie advertised all day on Virgin Media, I decided to check it out

Honestly how hard can it jaysus be to get it right? A 'few days' to fix and people wonder why Irish online shopping is brutal?

They would be better off just accepting all the orders now, getting the money and if theres delays, so be it. You have the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Only started using amazon this year and whilst experience fine, I had to set up vertual UK address to avoid some outrageous delivery charges and to overcome quite absurd rules about were certain products are delivered too.

Also, probably not noticed by many, the Euro/Sterling exchange rate they quote is scandalous.

A final note, if people actually researched pricing on Amazon as opposed to buying elsewhere, they might actually get a shock, notwithstanding delivery and currency charges, there's must cheaper alternatives out there.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Greyfox wrote: »
    But it is impressive, a few clicks and i have everything I want. Amazon makes shopping enjoyable.

Also needful for anyone housebound. Shoes , clothes. I do use irish shops who have a really efficient next day mail order service eg Lenehans in Dublin for hardware and homeware.

DilD wrote: »

Your logic makes perfect sense.

However I'd just point out that it isn't always far less. Sometimes its far less and sometimes its about the same when you factor in postage.

In general I'm happy to go into Irish bookstores and browse, or order from them without checking Amazon first.

If you can see that the future is being sold out from under you then it makes sense.

In the last few years I perceive that the advertising and customer service of mega-corporations has become a little hostile. There was even an Irish corporation that insulted Irish speakers and then refused to apologise. I read somewhere that these corporations have calculated that they have more need to impress their investors (such as the big investment company Blackrock/Vanguard) than they do their customers.

Add in that they make terrible employers (Amazon rules over an army of factory slaves), and you should think twice about ceding the future to these people just to save a few quid now and then.

"The little guy" is you and me. Resisting ruinous commercial trends is one of the few powers we have.

Anyone know what aliexpress is like?
    Seen an item on that that’s a fraction of what Amazon wanting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They are after changing their delivery provider from An Post (who were great) to Fastway (I think) who are not at all great. One parcel about ten days ago was just left on the door step. I don't even know if your man rang the door bell. You can't leave anything outside where I live and expect it go be there 2 minutes later, I don't know what they were thinking. Another day I was on a Zoom call for work and someone is ringing my mobile over and over. I eventually had to excuse myself from the work call and it is some lazy git in a van outside who again hadn't ring the doorbell. "Oh it's John with your Amazon delivery". I nearly decked him. And then another Amazon eejit trying to deliver something on a Sunday evening. No thanks, it's the only day now I get out of the poxy house. And it's really hard to complain because the help centre people don't understand anything that isn't in the UK.

If people prefer to support local then great go ahead it is nice to see brick and mortar still surviving somewhat. But to call corps. such as Amazon 'Evil' doesn't make sense to me, they saw a gap in the market and went for it, props to them.

What did Amazon do with their business success? They used it to push down wages and worsen labour conditions, censor books, turn a blind eye to fake reviews, compete with their own authors by creating knock-off editions of books and buy the Washington Post. The last action allowing them to influence the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

On a point of information: Amazon didn’t buy The Washington Post - Jeff Bezos as an individual bought it. Even though he’s the founder, CEO and President of Amazon (and owns just over 10% of it), it’s not quite the same thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone know what aliexpress is like?
    Seen an item on that that’s a fraction of what Amazon wanting
    Probably the same item. Might be a fake if a prestigious brand though.

Only buy from Amazon if you need it now and triple check delivery date. Anything over a few days and they are most likely drop shipping from China.

Amazon.com’s Prime Day shopping spree generated an estimated $10bn this year – $3.5bn by third-party sellers and about $7bn by Amazon itself

Alibaba said this year’s 11.11 sales holiday generated $74.1bn in gross merchandise

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2077
    The European Commission has informed Amazon of its preliminary view that it has breached EU antitrust rules by distorting competition in online retail markets. The Commission takes issue with Amazon systematically relying on non-public business data of independent sellers who sell on its marketplace, to the benefit of Amazon's own retail business, which directly competes with those third party sellers.

• Advertisement

On a point of information: Amazon didn’t buy The Washington Post - Jeff Bezos as an individual bought it. Even though he’s the founder, CEO and President of Amazon (and owns just over 10% of it), it’s not quite the same thing.

Thank you, you are correct.

Advertisement