Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How is tax calculated for CGT?

Options
  • 10-11-2020 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So long story short - I sometimes sell some shares on Degiro and rebuy different ones.

How does that work with tax?

Let's say I bought 4 shares for €250 each (€1000 Total)

Let's say 8 months later they are worth €500 Each (€2000 Total)

I decide to sell one share and re-invest that into some different share without withdrawing.

What counts towards CGT?

1) Is it when I withdraw?
    2) Is it the difference between purchase price and sell price? (So €250 is the difference)
    3) Is it whole €500 that counts towards CGT and later needs to be declared that half of it was investment?

My problem is tracking the €1270 exemption on CGT and going way over it and committing some sort of tax fraud because I am an idiot and ending up in court.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hi,

So long story short - I sometimes sell some shares on Degiro and rebuy different ones.

How does that work with tax?

Let's say I bought 4 shares for €250 each (€1000 Total)

Let's say 8 months later they are worth €500 Each (€2000 Total)

I decide to sell one share and re-invest that into some different share without withdrawing.

What counts towards CGT?

2) Is it the difference between purchase price and sell price? (So €250 is the difference)
    3) Is it whole €500 that counts towards CGT and later needs to be declared that half of it was investment?

My problem is tracking the €1270 exemption on CGT and going way over it and committing some sort of tax fraud because I am an idiot and ending up in court.

33% of gain is taxed

In your example you invested €1k and came out with €2k, therefore a €1k gain. 33% of 1k is €330. This should be declared but will be exempt from tax with the €1270 exemption.

If you sold one share it’s 33% of the €250 gain (I’m not that good at math to do it in my head!) which again would not breach the exemption threshold and you wouldn’t be taxed assuming you haven’t already used the full tax credit of €1270.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Can't you also apply transaction charges, for both buying and selling, when working out the net taxable gain?

Also, if there's an annual free for having the stockbroking account (not sure about DeGiro, but know some of the others charge), does this get offst against the capital gain, or against dividends received, for tax calculations?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, fees can be deducted when calculating the gain.

The holding fee - I'm not sure about.

It can't be deducted against income tax.

I'd say it can be deducted against CGT, but not sure.

What counts towards CGT?

It is when you sell the asset.

What you do with the proceeds is not relevant.

2) = yes
    3) = no

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnDeBanks

You also pay tax on a first in first out basis. E.g. You buy 100 shares in Company A for €1 each and then 100 more, some time later, for €2 each.
    If you sell 100 of them for €3 your capital gain would be €200. (100 x €3)-(100 x €1)
    If you sell 150 of them for €3 your capital gain would be €250. (150 x €3)-(100 x €1)-(50 x €2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

jive wrote: »
    33% of gain is taxed

In your example you invested €1k and came out with €2k, therefore a €1k gain. 33% of 1k is €330. This should be declared but will be exempt from tax with the €1270 exemption.

If you sold one share it’s 33% of the €250 gain (I’m not that good at math to do it in my head!) which again would not breach the exemption threshold and you wouldn’t be taxed assuming you haven’t already used the full tax credit of €1270.

Thanks that makes sense.
    I guess my second question is - Do I need to declare it if it still falls under CGT?

So I've done a lot of selling in past 4 months on Degiro (Some with negative but mostly positive gains) - I could (and probably will go through records for my own benefit) - Do I still need to declare it to revenue as CGT even if I stayed under 1300 Profit?

That's the part that sort of confuses me, I don't mind paying tax and all that, I just don't want to get a summons to court for tax avoidance due to my idiocy.

Thanks that makes sense.
    I guess my second question is - Do I need to declare it if it still falls under CGT?

So I've done a lot of selling in past 4 months on Degiro (Some with negative but mostly positive gains) - I could (and probably will go through records for my own benefit) - Do I still need to declare it to revenue as CGT even if I stayed under 1300 Profit?

That's the part that sort of confuses me, I don't mind paying tax and all that, I just don't want to get a summons to court for tax avoidance due to my idiocy.

https://revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/when-and-how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

When to file your CGT return
    You must file by 31 October in the year after the date of disposal. You must do this even if no tax is due because of reliefs or allowable losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thanks that makes sense.

You must make a CGT return even if you're gain over the whole year is under the €1,270 allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You must make a CGT return even if you're gain over the whole year is under the €1,270 allowance.

Do you know if you can do this return through MyAccount or is there a paper form? I've read about form 11 but a little confused by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sternn wrote: »
    Do you know if you can do this return through MyAccount or is there a paper form? I've read about form 11 but a little confused by it all!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/when-and-how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

sternn wrote: »

If you are a PAYE worker fill out - https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/documents/formcg1.pdf , scan it to pdf and upload it to "myEnquiries" in "myAccount" on the revenue.ie website under the subheadings - "Capital Gains Tax (CGT)" - "Capital Gains Tax - Return" within that.

If you have your own business /not a PAYE worker you need to do it on the ros.ie website online (form 11 IIRC) which you probably are already signed up to in that case.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Degiro produces a tax report for you, does anyone know if Trading212 does similar, or do you have to manually work it out yourself?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Degiro produces a tax report for you, does anyone know if Trading212 does similar, or do you have to manually work it out yourself?

Degiro produces a list of transactions, its far from something you can submit for CGT purposes though its useful to calculate what to submit.

Trading212 will send you a tax report (similar to Degiro's one) on request via email to their helpdesk.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is this report not suitable so? Under the activity tab, and scroll across to reports

Is this report not suitable so? Under the activity tab, and scroll across to reports

Its useful if the numbers you submit are questioned by the revenue I suppose but it doesnt give you things like "aggregate consideration" which the CG1 form asks for when you are submitting your returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah you need to be careful with Degiro - the apple stock split will show up on my degiro account as me realising a gain even though I didn't sell anything so I dont intend on submitting this as a realised gain. Not sure if anyone else has thoughts on this

Advertisement