Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax book issue

Options
  • 10-11-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi hope someone can help.ive a old mercedes that belonged to my late uncle who left me his entire estate.have tax book however its the previous owners name thats still on car tax book.car was last taxed 1973.uncle bought it in late1970s and just stored it since.ive no way to contact previous owner.how do i go about registering it in my name as id like to tidy it up, tax,insure and drive it

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think you will have to fill out an appropriate form and get it signed and witnessed
    by a commissioner for oaths before applying to be registered as the owner,
    or something along similar lines.

Its something I have to do myself with a car I purchased that is no longer on the system
    but I have not got around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

..ORRR..just fill it out as if you were the named owner.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You sign the previous owners name for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Get an RF200 form, you can get them on motortax.ie under the Motor Tax section.

Fill it out as indicated on the form, including all signatures, vehicle details, etc...

Fill in your own details on the tax book.

Bring the form and the tax book into your local motor tax office (you might need to make an appointment due to covid measures)

They will complete the transfer of ownership there an then, they will stamp the book and give it straight back to you.

The vehicle may be dormant on their system, but they can reactivate it.

You then have to either tax the vehicle (€56) or you will have 21 days to declare it off the road.

Fill out an RF150 form to declare it off the road, or a RF100 to tax it. Bring whichever form with you so you can do it there and then.

Never post a tax book off to Shannon, that is for newer type registration certificates only.

Squinting helps you to read between the lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Testacalda wrote: »
    Get an RF200 form, you can get them on motortax.ie under the Motor Tax section.

Fill it out as indicated on the form, including all signatures, vehicle details, etc...

Fill in your own details on the tax book.

Bring the form and the tax book into your local motor tax office (you might need to make an appointment due to covid measures)

They will complete the transfer of ownership there an then, they will stamp the book and give it straight back to you.

The vehicle may be dormant on their system, but they can reactivate it.

You then have to either tax the vehicle (€56) or you will have 21 days to declare it off the road.

Fill out an RF150 form to declare it off the road, or a RF100 to tax it. Bring whichever form with you so you can do it there and then.

Never post a tax book off to Shannon, that is for newer type registration certificates only.

Squinting helps you to read between the lines!

Thanks for this but how can i sign the previous owners name?dont know if alive or dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

hi5 wrote: »
    You sign the previous owners name for them.

This.

It's the easiest most hassle free way to do it. I had to do it on a car of mine last year. The last owner hadn't been I possession of it for about a decade or so by the time I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks for this but how can i sign the previous owners name?dont know if alive or dead

Neither will the council office you are sending it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Mucho thanks guys for all the help.ill get onto it right away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Neither will the council office you are sending it to.

They will after reading this thread ;)

Advertisement