Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantastic Beasts 3

Options
  • 06-11-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

Warner Bros. made the announcement as part of a larger statement revealing that Johnny Depp, who portrays the infamous dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald, is exiting the series. Depp said, “I have been asked to resign by Warner Bros. from my role as Grindelwald in ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and I have respected and agreed to that request.” Depp’s departure from the high-profile franchise comes days after he lost his libel case against The Sun tabloid over a 2018 article alleging he was a “wife beater.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/fantastic-beasts-3-release-date-delayed-1234824604/

As if the stakes of Depp's lost case against The *** didn't have high enough stakes, Depp has agreed to resign as Grindelwald after Warner's request.

It will be interesting to see if they recast or use the delay to quietly take Fantastic Beasts in an unexpected direction.

The franchise needs a crowd pleasing turn (or an attempt at the very least) given the recent controversies with JK, Ezra Miller and Johnny Depp so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they introduced an ancestor of Harry's.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The last movie was a huge cheat on the fans stretching the story out over more than one movie.

Half way through it dawned on me (and my huge Potter-head daughter) that they weren't going to get to the infamous duel the books - and trailers - alluded to. It just felt like a cash in.

Pity, as the first Fantastic Beasts was quite charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Honestly my first thought of a replacement for Depp as Grindelwald was Colin Farrell although I know there would be some confusion after his role in the first movie. Just felt he would fit the role really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's possible Grindelwald could take the form of Farrell to mess with Aurelius/Credence.

I can see them also just quietly moving Grindelwald out of the picture and have it centre on Dumbledore and Credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will this get cancelled by the same people trying to cancel JK.

Don't forget Ezra the knives are out for him too. :pac:

Fully expect this to turn into some time travel cash in now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

The previous pope said Harry Potter was immoral and everyone was outraged. Turns out he was right, but for different reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's David Yates again right? This franchise desperately needs new blood behind the lens. And to get Rowling away from scriptwriting, the last two films have been baggy, lumpy messes, the sequel almost unwatchable in places. And the attempt to skirt around Dumbledores sexuality was embarrassing to watch. Tying everything into the main Potter storyline felt like a poor desperate move as well IMO.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's David Yates again right? This franchise desperately needs new blood behind the lens. And to get Rowling away from scriptwriting, the last two films have been baggy, lumpy messes, the sequel almost unwatchable in places. And the attempt to skirt around Dumbledores sexuality was embarrassing to watch. Tying everything into the main Potter storyline felt like a poor desperate move as well IMO.
    Pretty reprehensible stuff to dangle the idea of a young Dumbledore and Grindelwald being in the same film and not tackle that aspect of their relationship.

Then again for anyone who read Cursed Child that's queer baiting at it's worst within the universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pretty reprehensible stuff to dangle the idea of a young Dumbledore and Grindelwald being in the same film and not tackle that aspect of their relationship.

Then again for anyone who read Cursed Child that's queer baiting at it's worst within the universe.

Methinks that was Warner chickening out, afraid of losing some international markets if they let the two be more of an obvious couple. Instead getting weak "very special friend" winking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Cancel culture in all its Glory. JK Rowling got it too, I imagine theres people calling for the whole franchise to be cancelled.

• Advertisement

santana75 wrote: »
    Cancel culture in all its Glory. JK Rowling got it too, I imagine theres people calling for the whole franchise to be cancelled.

Fantastic Beasts should be cancelled cos it has been a bit rubbish :pac:

Hardly "cancel culture" anyway. Depp lost a libel case over being called a wife beater, not exactly a great look by all accounts; so hardly scandalous WB asked him to resign. In any case, IIRC Depp is one of the least profitable actors in Hollywood, so for WB it's probably a win-win to get rid of dead financial weight.

The *** are being true to form anyway and going all in with the wife beater headlines. Hopefully Depp is clean and keeps his head down for awhile, but can't help but feel he's become full poison now to studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭plibige

Seems like the franchise is sort of doomed to fail now. And probably rightly so considering it seems to be a blatant cash grab of "stretch this out over x amount of films". Reminds me of the Hobbit trilogy of films. Each of the Hobbit films did well at the box office though, but each film did worse than the previous. I'd imagine this next one will tank at the box office now

Well the sequel made about 200 million less worldwide so diminishing returns had already kicked in. IIRC there was chatter about FB being a 5 film series; that's some studio hubris.

The original Potter series still holds up; well, apart from those stodgy first two by Chris Columbus.

The first two HP films are not without their charm. Their attempts to stick close to the source is likeable while the older cast are fantastic.

POA was the first film where the younger ones showed their ability but it was the beginning of a direction I didn't like such as giving a lot of Ron's best bits to Hermione or dropping his bits from the book completely.

The first two HP films are not without their charm. Their attempts to stick close to the source is likeable while the older cast are fantastic.

POA was the first film where the younger ones showed their ability but it was the beginning of a direction I didn't like such as giving a lot of Ron's best bits to Hermione or dropping his bits from the book completely.

I think the first two hew too closely to the books in that there's a weird, clumsy pace to the films that almost make them feel like TV movies. There's an innocence to the adventures that obviously disappears once Riddle appears. Azkhaban was the best piece of cinema by far, a legitimately good movie in or outside of the franchise - not surprising given the talent behind the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,684 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Will this get cancelled by the same people trying to cancel JK.

Given JK's attitude and stance on domestic violence, it was probably she who told Warner to ditch him

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the first two hew too closely to the books in that there's a weird, clumsy pace to the films that almost make them feel like TV movies. There's an innocence to the adventures that obviously disappears once Riddle appears. Azkhaban was the best piece of cinema by far, a legitimately good movie in or outside of the franchise - not surprising given the talent behind the camera.

No denying that POA is the biggest triumph of the series from a cinematic point of view, but as a book fan I just didn't like some of the decisions made from POA on. They ignored things such as Dobby that by the time the deathly hallows came along, they had to awkwardly insert plot points in randomly that should have had foundations in the previous films.

Funnily enough JK was the one on record defending Depp.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Don't forget Ezra the knives are out for him too. :pac:

Fully expect this to turn into some time travel cash in now. :D

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

plibige wrote: »
    Seems like the franchise is sort of doomed to fail now. And probably rightly so considering it seems to be a blatant cash grab of "stretch this out over x amount of films". Reminds me of the Hobbit trilogy of films. Each of the Hobbit films did well at the box office though, but each film did worse than the previous. I'd imagine this next one will tank at the box office now
    Ugh. I didn't even pirate The Battle of Five Hours, or whatever the third one was called.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why?

Because between the recent controversies with JK, Ezra Miller and Johnny Depp there's a lot of bad will towards a franchise that hasn't been great anyway.

Thus, like Disney pulled with a Star Wars franchise that was struggling, I wouldn't be surprised if WB go an absolute ludicrous angle that might allow them to bring back a fan fav or two from the original films.

Why?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ezra-miller-throttling-woman-video-1234571800/

Weird incident in Reykjavik where Muller apparently throttled a woman in a bar during an altercation back in April. Not sure what became of it since then, if it became a legal case, clarified as a joke or what..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just thinking again they could easily work around Depp by doing some kind of dr Parnassus style shape shifting and explain it as some kind of glamour spell that makes him change form everywhere he goes for his safety/evade capture

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

cnocbui wrote: »
    Given JK's attitude and stance on domestic violence, it was probably she who told Warner to ditch him

JK supported Johnny Depp even with the knowledge of the case at that time. They must have known other details not known to the public in order to stick up for him at the time. This would no doubt be a business decision by Warners to keep away to bad publicity. I doubt JK's support of him has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mads Mikkelsen is in early talks to replace Johnny Depp

Mads Mikkelsen is in early talks to replace Johnny Depp

Hmmmmm, after watching Mads in Hannibal and the character's......"interesting" friendship with Will, I wonder if they're going to actually tease out the relationship of Dumbledore and Grindelwald now.

Tbh I couldn't think of a better duo of Law and Mads to go there without offending the more let's call them conservative members of the audience. I can see it backfiring but I'm excited to see what Mads does.

Confirmed: Mikkelsen to replace Depp as Grindelwald. Honestly, while the recast is forced through controversy, Mikkelsen is simply a better choice for the role. Won't fix all the other problems with the series mind you, but at least the distraction of "Johnny Depp doing acting" is one less issue to deal with.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/mads-mikkelsen-replace-johnny-depp-fantastic-beasts-3-1234598075/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yep. I might actually give the next one a watch now.

Only problem I have with Mads and I say this as someone who watched all of Hannibal, is that sometimes I find it difficult to hear him at times.

But there's no comparing him and Depp currently, a clear upgrade.

• Advertisement

We now have a title and new release date: The Secrets of Dumbledore, to come out April 15th 2022

Presumably the "secret" will not include that one of Dumbledore's, lest it offends the Chinese and Russian markets 🙄😁

Advertisement