Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covering an ugly tile floor

• 09-11-2020 9:57am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My kitchen floor has been a major irritation for me since we moved in - the main tiles used aren't great, but I could live with them if it wasn't for the mind-boggling placement of some other, random tiles.

I have notions of eventually doing a major renovation downstairs - if I don't move before then - so for now I'm looking for a low-cost, medium-term solution rather than a complete overhaul.

Can anyone suggest solutions?

I've seen suggestions of painting tiles but not sure I'd trust it to hold up to the wear and tear of what is a high traffic area.

I've also seen vinyl stick and peel tiles, which seem like they could be a solution... though I wonder how well they look and hold up?

The tiled area is connected on both sides to rooms with laminate flooring so the key is to find something that doesn't raise the floor level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

flogen wrote: »
    My kitchen floor has been a major irritation for me since we moved in - the main tiles used aren't great, but I could live with them if it wasn't for the mind-boggling placement of some other, random tiles attachment.php?attachmentid=532308&stc=1&d=1604912147.

I have notions of eventually doing a major renovation downstairs - if I don't move before then - so for now I'm looking for a low-cost, medium-term solution rather than a complete overhaul.

I've seen suggestions of painting tiles but not sure I'd trust it to hold up to the wear and tear of what is a high traffic area.

I've also seen vinyl stick and peel tiles, which seem like they could be a solution... though I wonder how well they look and hold up?

The tiled area is connected on both sides to rooms with laminate flooring so the key is to find something that doesn't raise the floor level.

We tiled over last tiles and trimmed the doors, worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

My kitchen floor has been a major irritation for me since we moved in - the main tiles used aren't great, but I could live with them if it wasn't for the mind-boggling placement of some other, random tiles.

Could you find replacement tiles to match the main body of the floor? if so cutting out the odd old ones and relaying those areas would be the cheapest option IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

If you didn't want to spend too much, but still a bit, you could self level over the lot, and put a lino down.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

We self levelled our kitchen floor and put lino down, brilliant result for a little cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Something like Palio Core might work.

Vinyl tile, built in underlay, goes down like laminate clicking together and only 6.5mm thick so you can just have a transition strip between rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We tiled over last tiles and trimmed the doors, worked well

I have a door on one side but on the other is a sort-of dining area with laminate flooring. Wouldn’t want to tile over as it’d essentially create a trip hazard between the two (and with two small ones that’s going to end badly!)
    JimmyMW wrote: »
    Could you find replacement tiles to match the main body of the floor? if so cutting out the odd old ones and relaying those areas would be the cheapest option IMHO

Possibly - I’ve not seen the same ones but haven’t done a deep search.
    If you didn't want to spend too much, but still a bit, you could self level over the lot, and put a lino down.
    Glenalla wrote: »
    We self levelled our kitchen floor and put lino down, brilliant result for a little cost.

I have a bit of a mental block about lino - but I presume it’s come along a bit since my nanny’s day?
    Graham wrote: »
    Something like Palio Core might work.

Vinyl tile, built in underlay, goes down like laminate clicking together and only 6.5mm thick so you can just have a transition strip between rooms.

Hadn’t heard of that - looks interesting.

From what you’ve seen is it only available in a wooden floorboard-style? Can’t seem to see any other designs out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

]Hadn’t heard of that - looks interesting.

From what you’ve seen is it only available in a wooden floorboard-style? Can’t seem to see any other designs out there.

They do a version that looks like tile too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I deliberately and for preference have always put down lino - now known as 'vinyl' - in my kitchen. Its more forgiving for dropping things on, more comfortable to stand on, warmer, etc. Get the better quality thicker one, its not particularly expensive anyway. I have tiles in other rooms.

When I was recently looking for covering for the kitchen I discovered that most of the vinyl pattern options are tiles or floorboard style. If I wanted tiles or boards I would have either the real thing or good laminate, not vinyl imitation. I did eventually find some that I liked but the choice isn't as good as it was.

Agree with you about the tiles btw, they would annoy me - I have some a bit similar in one room, without the scattered odd ones but with half inch wide black grout - no exaggeration! They will have to go eventually.

looksee wrote: »
    I deliberately and for preference have always put down lino - now known as 'vinyl' - in my kitchen. Its more forgiving for dropping things on, more comfortable to stand on, warmer, etc. Get the better quality thicker one, its not particularly expensive anyway. I have tiles in other rooms.

When I was recently looking for covering for the kitchen I discovered that most of the vinyl pattern options are tiles or floorboard style. If I wanted tiles or boards I would have either the real thing or good laminate, not vinyl imitation. I did eventually find some that I liked but the choice isn't as good as it was.

Where did you find what you liked in the end?

I had a quick look in a Homebase recently and they had a fairly basic selection of floorboard and tile-style vinyl. Wouldn’t mind going with a tile-like look but the ones they had were fairly meh.
    Agree with you about the tiles btw, they would annoy me - I have some a bit similar in one room, without the scattered odd ones but with half inch wide black grout - no exaggeration! They will have to go eventually.

I’d love to know how they ended up like this. The two brown/terracotta tiles are the same kind that they had in the bathroom so I’m guessing they needed to replace some tiles and had these spare. Can’t fathom what was going on with the blue patterned one, though, as it’s the only one like that and wasn’t used anywhere else in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I found that most of the shops had the exact same range of patterns. I found the one I liked in Waterford, John murphy carpets on Mayors Walk. They happened to have a roll of a good quality one in a slightly mottled orange/copper colour that suited the room, not really a pattern, more a visual texture. It was just chance though, look for a place that has rolls of vinyl as well as books of samples.

• Advertisement

I find Dunelm great for customer reviews. Click on the picture of the adhesive tile and scroll down for the reviews.
    https://www.dunelm.com/search?q=floor+tiles

My guess on the odd patterned tile is they had none of their own of that size so got one off someone else :D

I find Dunelm great for customer reviews. Click on the picture of the adhesive tile and scroll down for the reviews.
    https://www.dunelm.com/search?q=floor+tiles

Excellent, thanks.
    My guess on the odd patterned tile is they had none of their own of that size so got one off someone else :D

You're probably right... or it was the one that was cheapest when they went looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Glenalla wrote: »

Hi Glenalla, did you do this with kitchen cabinets in place? I'm thinking of doing this, just taking the kickboards off the bottom. Not sure what to do about the dishwasher and gas cookers though!

Advertisement