Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schitt's Creek (Netflix)

Options
  • 10-11-2020 9:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know I'm late to the party but for anyone who hasn't seen it yet - it's a beautifully funny story of the prima donna Rose family who lose everything and have no option but to go live in a town they bought as a birthday present for their son as a joke because of its name.

It finished in April and stole the show at the Emmys this year but with the glory of Netflix is available to binge whenever you're ready. Do it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I know I'm late to the party but for anyone who hasn't seen it yet - it's a beautifully funny story of the prima donna Rose family who lose everything and have no option but to go live in a town they bought as a birthday present for their son as a joke because of its name.

It finished in April and stole the show at the Emmys this year but with the glory of Netflix is available to binge whenever you're ready. Do it :D

My wife loves it but it ain't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I've watched it I think 5 times since March now. Its nothing amazing at all TBH, its just an easy background show (especially in lockdown), but it does have its moments and Catherine O'Hara is brilliant, she just gets better and better each season.
    I think shes one of my favorite actors ever, She was great in those 'Might Wind' comedy's back in the day. Forgot she was also in Death Becomes her and Beetlejuice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd urge anyone who struggled with it early on to stick with it.

Season three onward really picks up and it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's a bit meh, I'm 4 seasons in, don't find it particularly funny. It's grand but I've recently finished modern family and that's a far superior show.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Eugene Levy has said that S1 is setting the scene of how shallow the family is and after that they could get into the story. So if you're having trouble with S1, stick with it. It's part of a bigger picture.

Having said that S1 has Danny Boy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Typical dumb American chewing gum comedy.

You can see the jokes coming a mile off in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Loved it from the very first episode.
    If anything, I didn’t enjoy the later episodes as much. I think we watched it too fast, all 5 seasons in like 2 weeks.

Overall it was excellent though. One of my favourite shows. Great characters & great actors. It’s rare for us to find something we both like but this really hit that sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cina wrote: »
    I'd urge anyone who struggled with it early on to stick with it.

Season three onward really picks up and it's hilarious.
    Totally agree
    Season 1 is a tad meh.
    Parks and recreation was the same in fairness

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it's Canadian to start with..

How much have you watched? S1 is fairly standard but it improves a lot. It's not a sharp comedy but it's very strong on characters (and their growth) which is what nails it for me.

You can see the jokes coming a mile off in most cases.
    ...not even American...but hey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭blackbox

Doesn't do it for me.

I'd be interested to hear what other comedies appeal to people who enjoy this.

gmisk wrote: »
    ...not even American...but hey...

North American. Happy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eugene Levy has said that S1 is setting the scene of how shallow the family is and after that they could get into the story. So if you're having trouble with S1, stick with it. It's part of a bigger picture.

Having said that S1 has Danny Boy :D
    Oh.....................Danny........................Booooohy...

ixoy wrote: »
    Well it's Canadian to start with..

How much have you watched? S1 is fairly standard but it improves a lot. It's not a sharp comedy but it's very strong on characters (and their growth) which is what nails it for me.

I'm not really interested in toughing any show out. I either get it from S1 or I leave it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

blackbox wrote: »
    Doesn't do it for me.

Out of curiosity, how much did you watch?

I enjoy lots of different comedies but the one right now that most closely matches it in tone, I think, is "Kim's Convenience" (also on Netflix). Other family-based sit coms, such as "Modern Family" I initially enjoyed but grew tired of. I felt "Schitt's Creek" didn't get stale, much like "Parks and Recreation" which also had a poor start.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Loved it from the very first episode.
    If anything, I didn’t enjoy the later episodes as much. I think we watched it too fast, all 5 seasons in like 2 weeks.

Overall it was excellent though. One of my favourite shows. Great characters & great actors. It’s rare for us to find something we both like but this really hit that sweet spot.

I had to go back and watch the last 4 episodes again. I rushed through it too fast too and was far too emotional to absorb it all the first time.

I only realised the other day that the song they play at the end of S2 is the first song the Jazzagals sing in the last episode.

Doesn't do it for me.

I like a wide range of comedy all different types of style tbh
    30 rock
    Parks and recreation
    the Royle Family
    Nighty night
    Friday night dinner
    Chewing gum
    The IT crowd
    Father Ted
    Black Books
    Alan Partridge

Maybe it just isn't for you, it's personal taste.
    A lot of people seem to love the big bang theory or two and half men...I would rather watch static than sit through either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

It's similar-ish to The Good Place and Happy Endings, both are comedies where the characters are really sort of wholesome to each other and there's no badness in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Doesn't do it for me.

Seinfeld & Curb Your Enthusiasm are my favourites, along with this. But Schitts Creek is more than just a comedy.

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Community, Arrested Development had their moments, I enjoyed some episodes. Fawlty Towers was hilarious but that’s obviously going back a bit.

Can’t stand the likes of Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Two & a Half Men etc.... If someone were to lump Schitts Creek in with them, I’d strongly disagree.

Doesn't do it for me.

What we do in the Shadows.

I'm not sure what that says about me :D

• Advertisement

What we do in the Shadows.

I'm not sure what that says about me :D
    Love that!
    Second season was even more fun than the first.

If people like schitts creek I would also recommend fresh off the boat.
    It's a bit hit and miss but it's warm and funny imo.

It's decent enough, I'll power through the last 2 seasons but if I didn't I wouldn't really miss it.

Most of the characters in it are very annoying, some of it is pure cringe to be honest. Roland probably my favourite but isn't in it enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

I really love Schitts Creek think the characters are so good, spend so much time trying to pick which is my favourite.
    I'm well into S3 but limit my watching to 4-6 episodes a week as I want it to last. I wouldnt consider myself a fan of comedys.
    Like the fact that it good and mostly positive and upbeat making it enjoyable to watch during these covid restricted evenings.
    would recommend to everyone, glad to see this thread has recommendations for other shows so I know there is something else to watch when I get to end of Schitts Creek

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I love it!

It was recommended to me a while back, so enthusiastically that it nearly put me off trying it at all. Series 1, yes, was a bit meh. But I'm through series 2 now, and it just keeps giving.

It sails SO close to being utterly cringe, but just comes up short, mostly due to the brilliant acting by them all (the father is the least impressive for me, Moira is just inspired, and the "kids" are just brilliant, all in completely different ways).

I also love that it's 20 minute bitesize episodes, seems like less of an "investment" than sitting down to watch an hour episode of something.

And as someone else posted above, it's lovely to have something cheerful, harmless, and generally just good-humoured as a break from grim reality these days!

It's decent enough, I'll power through the last 2 seasons but if I didn't I wouldn't really miss it.

Most of the characters in it are very annoying, some of it is pure cringe to be honest. Roland probably my favourite but isn't in it enough.
    It just shows you how subjective comedy is.

Roland is far and away my least favourite character in the entire show.

It's maybe not helped by the fact when I see him I can only see that character he played in the scary movie films with the weird hand...

gmisk wrote: »

It's maybe not helped by the fact when I see him I can only see that character he played in the scary movie films with the weird hand...

He reminds me of the Tiger King.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I finished this last night. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was as incredible as other people seem to. Tonally, it was like a totally different show for its second half, and I found the constant declarations of love towards the end to be a bit much. I couldn't even look at the screen when Patrick started singing to David at the wedding, it was so cringe! :eek:

All of the main characters were lovable though, and Moira was hilarious. I, like others, didn't like Roland.

Overall I preferred the dark comedy elements, and the whackiness of Moira, to the cheesy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finished the final season tonight (started watching last year, but took about a two month break in between each season, as I wanted to make it last) and the last few episodes were absolutely superb. I cried a lot through the last two episodes.

Loved everything about it, even Roland who I didn't like at first, had really grown on me by the final season and thought he had some really strong moments towards the end, that will make me like him a lot more on re-watches (of which I'm sure there'll be many).

Spoilt for choice on an overall favourite character, and really hard for me to separate between David, Alexis, Moira, and Stevie because I love them all so much, but I'd probably have to go with Stevie because she's literally me, personality wise.

• Advertisement

I cried a lot through the last two episodes.

Everything you want from a 'comedy'..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement