Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

cgcsb wrote: »
    Eh Leeds isn't on the mainland, it's in England. So a classic example of English thinking. Leeds is not bigger than Dublin, not by a long shot. :pac: You've probably got bamboozeled by the illusively illogical English system of defining city boundaries which makes Leeds the England's second largest City after Birmingham:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

Mentioning Belfast threw me where some of the locals refer to Britain as the Mainland. Yes you are correct and to add to that if Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham were in Mainland Europe they would have multiple Metro lines.

I have noticed in the UK that some do refer to London as nearly it's own region like Yorkshire rather than a city and referring to London boroughs as cities in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ News on Morning Ireland has reported that the 3rd consultation for the Core Bus Corridors from BusConnects Dublin, to be launched by the NTA later today, will include a new major change for St Stephen's Green. A bus gate will be included there which will go from Lower Leeson St with cars being able to turn left at Lower Hatch St & then onto Earlsfort Terrace to access St Stephen's Green South. The planning application for the CBCs in Dublin is not expected until March 2021.

The delay to the CBC planning app. is due to Covid-19. The CBCs are expected to be launched in stages up until 2027.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1103/1175785-dublin-bus-corridor/

There will be a virtual consultation room going live later this morning which will be displaying the plans with a preview link here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Very useful for when looking at the protected junctions later. Kerbs alone won't do it if you're designing left hooks into the junction.

https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1323592568010084354?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've revised my forecast to the more optimistic side for transport in Dublin. I do now believe that bus connects, in some form (watered down), will be more/less fully in place by 2027. Although in it's self that is a ridiculously long timetable for a project such as this that requires so few changes to existing infrastructure.

I do think that DART+ will be partially delivered, at least the Maynooth line with perhaps a hybrid train service on the Hazelhatch line and outer parts of the commuter network by the 2027 deadline.

It's impossible at this point in time for metrolink to be opened by December 31st 2027 and I'm not confident that the project will proceed at all at this point. I believe it'll be radio silence until mid 2021 and there'll be some redesign or simple postponement announced. It may eventually happen but in the 2030s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why is cash payment still an option for bus, its a farce! Also the greens shoiid walk unless meyro proceeds as planjed. Its collossally importajt to dublin and the region. The sum is also a financial irrelevance in the scheme of things...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why is cash payment still an option for bus, its a farce! Also the greens shoiid walk unless meyro proceeds as planjed. Its collossally importajt to dublin and the region. The sum is also a financial irrelevance in the scheme of things...

Green party members seem to be walking, but no high profile (well paid) ones yet. I must admit I did admire Trevor Sargent for walking last time round, he has principles and he kept them intact. They need to stick to their guns on transport, and keep their current figure head sleepy Ryan awake and on program.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes it's ridiculous, and as someone who rarely uses buses I never have a clue how much a ticket costs. And why can't you tag on and tag off and be charged accordingly?
    Are there any plans to allow card/phone payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Cash payment was raised as a safety concern after TFL phased it out I believe. Various women's groups pointed out that if you are stuck without a card, you may have cash and it's better not to leave women stranded late at night. Having said that I think the irish are still much heavier users of cash in general than the UK and particularly the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

ElgX71eWoAEg2ww?format=jpg&name=medium

I know that this is out of date as it was drawn up from earlier in the summer. But I was looking at this yellow page with the table which have the launch dates of the new bus routes being rolled out for BusConnects in Dublin. And I was having a look at the routes being changed in phases 6, 8 & 12 from it. I thought that I found some confusion with the rollout regarding some of my local routes that I use which run from Blackrock, Dún Laoghaire & Sandyford. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to remove GAI's 63/63a & 114 from phase 8 & 12 of the table & be added into the current routes that should be scrapped in phase 6. I would then add the L26 (226) & L27 (227) from phase 8 of the table above & put it in with the new routes to be launched in phase 6 which is to launch between July/Sept 2022. Would that not be a good idea in hindsight or I am missing something out there that maybe should have been addressed from other people who are working on this initial rollout?

Now; I may be accused by some of nitpicking here & probably from others from outside boards when I think of this idea particularly from people in the local community.

However I do think that the S8 being listed in phase 6 of this table & the L26 (226) in phase 8 are like a near direct mirror of the 114 with GAI. The new services that will replace the 114 have vastly better timetables being provided for them by the NTA when it was proposed from the network redesign consultations. The 114 in this case not being due to be scrapped until Sep 2024/Dec 2024 would probably be a redundant route for anyone to use at this point. It could become a potential victim of sustained periods of dead running on it's daily timetable while other routes on it's route can take it's passengers. I may be controversial with thinking about this idea when other people are reading about it, however, I do think the amount of passengers that are currently served on the 114 would be better served with using the L26 & S8 instead on a permanent basis once the 114 is scrapped for good preferably from phase 6 of the rollout timeline. The new routes do cover most of the same areas when compared to the 114 for the vast majority of it's route. The 114's PVR allocation maybe then should be redeployed to the other new routes launching in the phase 6 timeline so they can continue to serve other passengers served on the new S orbitals.

The 63/63a from GAI can also be replaced with the L27 because that new route covers most of the exact same route as the 63/63a from Dún Laoghaire to Ballyogan. The only part of the route that is omitted from the L27 is the section from Carrickmines down Glenamuck Road & then further down into Kilternan. The L26 will cover that part of it when going to/from Blackrock DART Station.

My own thinking on dead running i.e. buses running empty when they should be carrying passengers to create demand; is that it should not take place at all when the network is being rebuilt from scratch when it's getting rebuilt in Dublin. The primary reason in these times is that it can waste a lot of money when it's not supposed to do under any circumstances. Public money is really a finite resource as we go through this global pandemic. As we are now in a period of transition to a post Covid economy here once we hear news of a vaccine getting launched for next year; public money being wasted because of buses having to do dead running should not have to be tolerated from citizens at this time. It would probably create an undue level of stress on the operators overtime when we could be going through a huge amount of uncertainty when the economy begins to recover from the worldwide global pandemic. Other services could begin to creak under pressure when Covid has wrecked our finances to support a huge amount of people from not working in their jobs at the moment.

I also think if the Government & the NTA reportedly in favour of sustainability, as the green party are a partner in government for the next 4 or so years, to try to get climate change addressed here. As long as public money from the remaining taxpayers trying to work here & does not get wasted from running new bus routes that could run empty around our capital city. The money saved from avoiding this exercise should then be used to begin rolling out the other remaining parts of the new bus network in Dublin in a sustainable way so that the rollout of the BusConnects routes in the capital do not get subject to more delays.

BusConnects in other cities like Galway, Cork, Limerick & Waterford would need to have radical plans being put in place that would effectively have dead running eliminated when newly proposed bus routes are being run between other termini while within their own cities. There is no doubt that people living outside Dublin should not tolerate dead running on their buses while they are run in their own cities. People could then think that the new bus network would not actually work for them as expected as the country is trying to fully recover from the effects of Covid in the economy when looking at the longer term outlook.

Also; as I was looking at the current orbital routes of phase 6 for the Dublin rollout; most of them displayed on it are currently run by Go-Ahead with the exception of the 61 that's with Dublin Bus. I would assume that from phase 6 the S2, S6 & S8 would be run with Go-Ahead Ireland & the S2 and 24 would be run with Dublin Bus. I'm thinking the routes being allocated in each phase on the table above could be attached to their current PSO contract arrangements with the NTA unless other routes get added to Go-Ahead Ireland overtime to take on more routes for this new bus network in the GDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Why is cash payment still an option for bus, its a farce!

How is it a farce? Its been talked about on boards many times over the years.

By making public transport cashless, you are denying a big chunk of the population access to it.
    I live in Dublin and have never owned a leap card. No point as I only used the bus once a month so cash was easier.

• Advertisement

Cash payment was raised as a safety concern after TFL phased it out I believe. Various women's groups pointed out that if you are stuck without a card, you may have cash and it's better not to leave women stranded late at night. Having said that I think the irish are still much heavier users of cash in general than the UK and particularly the continent.

Bus drivers in the UK are expected to allow vulnerable passengers without means to pay travel anyway especially late at night. I queried if this applied here on another thread but was told it was none of my business. Any good bus driver would be understanding and allow someone in an obvious vulnerable position travel without expecting a fare.

Anyway I don't nessecarily agree that is about cashless societies or cash v card. Cash is very much king in Italy for example but it's very rare to find buses in urban areas there where you can pay with cash to the driver although some buses there do have exact change only ticket vending machines on board them. But generally tickets must be bought in advance in tobacconists.

The cash option is still there for those who want it even if it's not accepted on board the bus as those who wish to use cash to pay for public transport can still do so by topping up a leap card in a shop or at a TVM. Perhaps the minimum top up of 5€ could be gotten rid of if the cash payment option was taken off buses.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    How is it a farce? Its been talked about on boards many times over the years.

By making public transport cashless, you are denying a big chunk of the population access to it.
    I live in Dublin and have never owned a leap card. No point as I only used the bus once a month so cash was easier.

I have family members that use public transport less than you and still have a Leap card.

It's hardly denying a big chunk of the population access to public transport if contactless card payments were introduced on top of Leap payments then almost everyone would be covered don't have contactless use Leap don't have Leap use contactless when contactless payments is introduced obivously which is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The future is phone payment anyway. In Switzerland, you open the app at your boarding bus stop, slide a bar across, the app locates you and the stop you start your journey, slide the bar back when you get off. The app calculates the cheapest fare for you. It doesn't matter how long you spend on public transport, how many times you change, how many different journeys you make during the day, it calculates the cheapest fare. If you use it multiple times during the day, at a certain point you will likely be put on a daily ticket meaning the rest of your journeys wont cost you any more. That is how to make public transport, including interchanges, attractive.

In this day and age, most people have smart phones, and many of those who dont will have FTPs. Keeping Leap and offboard ticket purchase can accommodate anyone else. The problem is habit, keeping cash payment on buses means some people will continue to do so despite there being better alternatives available. Bite the bullet and get rid of cash payment, it will improve services and people will adapt, and all but the most stubborn will realise that the cashless system is infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Peregrine wrote: »
    Very useful for when looking at the protected junctions later. Kerbs alone won't do it if you're designing left hooks into the junction.

they are right to be concerned, that's a horrific junction for cyclists :eek:
    Personally i'd be totally ignoring the cycle lanes there in favour of the driving lanes 1) to not get run over by left turning vehicles and 2) to not have to hook turn and waste an eternity for the lights to change

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

they are right to be concerned, that's a horrific junction for cyclists :eek:
    Personally i'd be totally ignoring the cycle lanes there in favour of the driving lanes 1) to not get run over by left turning vehicles and 2) to not have to hook turn and waste an eternity for the lights to change

Yep. I wouldn't use a lot of the cycle lanes in these plans when going straight at a junction on a bike. The risk of getting killed is just far too high.

It would be similar to the Lombard Street/Townsend Street junction which most people on bikes ignore. It may be okay on low traffic streets but this design with a large volume of traffic including HGVs is just downright dangerous. This is in Airside. All of these movements would happen at the same time.

Hd0jFVWl.jpg

The Dutch junction at the Griffith Avenue/Drumcondra Road and the CYCLOPS junctions in Clondalkin looks good though. It's clear that they looked at both Dutch and CYCLOPS all around the city and then, for some bizarre reason, decided to ignore the two internationally accepted safe junction designs and created a new Dublin-style with left hooks designed into it.

Y
    It would be similar to the Lombard Street/Townsend Street junction which most people on bikes ignore.

I've cycled this many times and I genuinely have no idea what a cyclist is supposed to do here if proceeding straight through the junction. Was it not safer before? I assumed for the above junction type there would be signals for bikes, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Yep. I wouldn't use a lot of the cycle lanes in these plans when going straight at a junction on a bike. The risk of getting killed is just far too high.

...This is in Airside. All of these movements would happen at the same time.

Hd0jFVWl.jpg

The Dutch junction at the Griffith Avenue/Drumcondra Road and the CYCLOPS junctions in Clondalkin looks good though...

Could you explain what makes the Airside one dangerous and the Griffith Ave one safe please? Is it the separation of the cyclepath from the road meaning the straight on cyclist doesn't veer away from the road as much?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Could you explain what makes the Airside one dangerous and the Griffith Ave one safe please? Is it the separation of the cyclepath from the road meaning the straight on cyclist doesn't veer away from the road as much?

I assume they are talking about the currently planned junction which is part of the currently being built Griffith Avenue cycle lane:

531880.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, so I see the latest Bus Connects public consultation is out of whack with what is currently happening on the ground! Left hand, meet right hand!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The difference between the two junctions is where the cyclist stops at the lights.

In the Airside one, cyclists will stop back at the where the cars stop. When the light turns green, both cars and bikes will start at the same time, from the same position. By the time that a cyclist reaches the point where they're to "cross the road", cars will already be turning left through where the cyclist should be crossing.

In the Griffith Avenue one, cyclist don't stop with the cars, but rather continue onwards, and stop at the point where they "cross the road". When the light turns green, cyclists are immediately crossing the road, and should have crossed by the time a car turns left. Even if a cyclist is slower than expected, cars will be able to have more visibility, as cyclists will be ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It would be similar to the Lombard Street/Townsend Street junction which most people on bikes ignore. It may be okay on low traffic streets but this design with a large volume of traffic including HGVs is just downright dangerous. This is in Airside. All of these movements would happen at the same time.

Hd0jFVWl.jpg

My first thought when I was looking at this route the other day was that the Metrolink cutting could be widened there to grade separate the cycle lanes there. Further south, the south (airport) bound cycle lane switches to the other (western) side of the R132 requiring cyclists to cross six traffic lanes at the Coachmans Inn. The bi-directional cycle lane should run along the western side of the R132 the whole way from the airport roundabout to where Metrolink crosses the R132 and then pass under the R132 and L2305 alongside Metrolink. Could also provide underpasses when removing the Pinnockhill Roundabout. This would mean cyclists would only have to interact with traffic at the Naul Road junction between Swords and the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I see that the 111 is to be scrapped and a half-assed approach is taken for the 7d replacement with only a couple of journeys each way. The current status quo will still prevail for the denizens of Dalkey i.e. only accessible by car or bike. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I see that the 111 is to be scrapped and a half-assed approach is taken for the 7d replacement with only a couple of journeys each way. The current status quo will still prevail for the denizens of Dalkey i.e. only accessible by car or bike. :mad:
    Eh:confused:
    horizontal-view-of-a-dart-train-en-route-to-dublin-arriving-at-dalkey-d2rmke.jpg

Except there will be more connections at various different locations along Dart line meaning Dalkey has more connections than ever before.

Eh:confused:
    horizontal-view-of-a-dart-train-en-route-to-dublin-arriving-at-dalkey-d2rmke.jpg
    GT89 wrote: »
    Except there will be more connections at various different locations along Dart line meaning Dalkey has more connections than ever before.

I mean aside from the DART as transport doesn't revolve solely around Dublin City. However, I probably should have clarified that before posting.

I mean aside from the DART as transport doesn't revolve solely around Dublin City. However, I probably should have clarified that before posting.

The DART doesn't revolve around Dublin City. After bus connects there will be numerous connections to other parts of the city that did not exist before at interchange locations on the DART line which will benefit Dalkey commuters. Considering Dalkey's population density it is more than adequately served by the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The DART doesn't revolve around Dublin City. After bus connects there will be numerous connections to other parts of the city that did not exist before at interchange locations on the DART line which will benefit Dalkey commuters. Considering Dalkey's population density it is more than adequately served by the DART.

Exactly. The people who have never had a useful bus service before who will have one with Bus Connects aren't writing to their local councillors because there is no appreciation for what they will lose. Those people are just as entitled to a bus service as the people who stand to lose out as a result of a re-routing.

The DART doesn't revolve around Dublin City.

I say that because the DART is primarily used to get people from Greystones/Bray and Howth/Malahide into Dublin City. Yes, it also connects intermediate stations.
    After bus connects there will be numerous connections to other parts of the city that did not exist before at interchange locations on the DART line which will benefit Dalkey commuters. Considering Dalkey's population density it is more than adequately served by the DART.

However, the elimination of the 111 essentially halves the frequency of buses between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire as the renumbered 59 will run hourly. The 111 serves to make the frequency of buses half hourly.

The offering for other locations is being improved significantly. However, the requirement for a change from places like Dalkey will still leave it no better than it is.

I say that because the DART is primarily used to get people from Greystones/Bray and Howth/Malahide into Dublin City. Yes, it also connects intermediate stations.

Well you can say that for most places and for most cities with a centralised plan. Most public transport systems are focused on city centres the same for most cities.
    However, the elimination of the 111 essentially halves the frequency of buses between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire as the renumbered 59 will run hourly. The 111 serves to make the frequency of buses half hourly.

The offering for other locations is being improved significantly. However, the requirement for a change from places like Dalkey will still leave it no better than it is.

The problem with the 59 and 111 is the timetables are not interworked to the point that both routes are operating a half hourly frequency so having two routes is fairly useless. Of course you could say run the 59 every 30 mins but I do not think the demand is there.

The 59 and 111 are both very much local community routes that are lightly used whose demographic is largely FTP holders. They serve a purpose but don't need to be highly frequent. What is wrong with the requirement to change it is something done effectively in many locations?

• Advertisement

Well you can say that for most places and for most cities with a centralised plan. Most public transport systems are focused on city centres the same for most cities.

The problem with the 59 and 111 is the timetables are not interworked to the point that both routes are operating a half hourly frequency so having two routes is fairly useless. Of course you could say run the 59 every 30 mins but I do not think the demand is there.

The 59 and 111 are both very much local community routes that are lightly used whose demographic is largely FTP holders. They serve a purpose but don't need to be highly frequent. What is wrong with the requirement to change it is something done effectively in many locations?

All I am saying is that existing bus users from Dalkey may wind up flocking back to their cars to get around given the pairing back of frequency of services in that immediate area.

The same interchanges between Greystones and Dublin 4 (i.e. Bray, Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock and Sydney Parade) are being enhanced which will primarily benefit people from those areas.

So, for those Dalkey denizens who don't mind having interchanges along their journey and aren't in a rush to get to their destination, it may be beneficial.

Having said all of that, I've been living in Bray for the past year and a half and it will benefit massively from these changes.

Advertisement