Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should all games be required to have an Easy Mode ?

Options
  • 08-11-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Very soon the next generation of consoles will release , and no matter how many years goes by the same narrative of topics are always brought up now and again from gamers/journalist alike that all games are required to be accesible as possible , because you know ... you have to cater to peoples needs who cant afford to overcome hurdles the developer throws at the player due to time restraints from work , college , friendships , relationships ...

Yet we all have to deal with this , and despite it all , many people have beaten games like The souls series , Sekiro , Cuphead , Super Meat Boy , Nioh (etc..)

It truly astounds me the amount of Self Entitlement from people that every game needs to fit into their list of demands and needs , despite 99% of games already cater to the mass audiences .

I have been reading from articles , that people are upset Demons Souls Remake will not have an Easy Mode and instead of people respecting the decisions from blue point games to not tamper with From Software game and keep it faithful as much possible to the Original, listening to them moan and whine really iirks me :mad:

When the difficulty of a game is part of the design , to demand to a dev to tamper with their art to suit them because they just want to walk to the ending and claim trophy bragging points is self entitlement nonsense and should stop .

With the rise of developers trying to fit in everyones demands from social media sites , games have lost all the immersiveness from its gameplay imho.
    Its no longer an art form anymore , but rather a checklist to tick off everyones complaints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yes and all games should have accessibility options.

I'm able bodied but I've banged the x button repeatedly in qte's to last a lifetime. So I loved the option in Spiderman and God of War to have the option to just press and hold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There should be no ‘mandatory’ easy mode, but developers should in an ideal world implement reasonable and robust accessibility options wherever possible.

Celeste remains the gold standard - a punishingly difficult game with no compromises for those who want it, with a dizzying range of adjustable options for those who don’t have the patience, interest, time or physical capacity to try something dozens and dozens of times. No vision compromised, nobody left behind. Would be a better world if more developers followed that example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

Yes they should, some people are there for the story and not the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Within reason.

Different colour blind option, a epilepsy care mode.
    Auto button mashing, hold to sprint, or toggles.

But no changing mechanic, no bowling ramps or gutter barriers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 newjaqcity

When the difficulty of a game is part of the design , to demand to a dev to tamper with their art to suit them because they just want to walk through the ending and claim trophy bragging points is self entitlement nonsense and should stop .

I don't know about making it mandatory but I don't think it's that much of a big deal for the developers to include a "easy mode" for casual players.

With regard to the "art" part of your argument - well I think I would not have seen a huge part of the design of God of War if I had opted for the most difficult mode. and as such I would not have sung it's praises to everybody who would listen!

I don't think the enjoyment of a game is diminished for hardcore gamers by casual gamers opting for an easier mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

newjaqcity wrote: »
    I don't know about making it mandatory but I don't think it's that much of a big deal for the developers to include a "easy mode" for casual players.

With regard to the "art" part of your argument - well I think I would not have seen a huge part of the design of God of War if I had opted for the most difficult mode. and as such I would not have sung it's praises to everybody who would listen!

I don't think the enjoyment of a game is diminished for hardcore gamers by casual gamers opting for an easier mode.

Hard games are a steep learning curve I can’t tell you how amazing it felt when I beat every boss in blood borne

I beat bosses easy in other games and move on it’s nothing and I forget it in 5 mins

But blood borne nearly every boss stuck with me because I spent ages trying to beat it

I don’t think there should be an easy mode no there’s plenty of games out there now that practically hold your hand through the experience there’s room for everything
    For instance the souls games are too hard then there’s other games to play on easy instead
    god of war
    Darksiders etc

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Without trying to sound like a Gate-Kepper , I would very much love to learn peoples different takes on the subject. When I say accessibility I mean mostly in the case of the difficulty mode .

I have been gaming since the SNES/Megadrive era but also had a NES as a child . Why is there this feeling you have to finish a game ? there have been plenty of games over the years the bested me that I have never finished : SMT Luicfer Call , Shadowgate , Wings of Wor ...

But that never took away my love for these games , and its up to me to push through the ending if I so wished too .

If brolylegs can become the highest rank Chun Li player in the SF Community because his sheer love for the game , there is nothing holding anyone back from playing games and finishing them

Or a girl on twitch who completed Darksouls 3 on a dance mat

biggebruv wrote: »
    Hard games are a steep learning curve I can’t tell you how amazing it felt when I beat every boss in blood borne

Yes but what I'm saying is that your experience of mastering the game and the sense of achievement really shouldn't be diminished by somebody taking the easy route.

From the developers point of view having a broader audience is probably a good thing for potential sales.

there is nothing holding anyone back from playing games and finishing them

Well the main thing holding people back, and I'm speaking for myself here, is time. And I would imagine that's true a lot of people who grew up with games from the olden days but now have jobs and families and other things that prevent them from sinking the amount of hours required into some of the harder games.

Varik wrote: »
    Within reason.

Different colour blind option, a epilepsy care mode.
    Auto button mashing, hold to sprint, or toggles.

But no changing mechanic, no bowling ramps or gutter barriers.

Why not? You don't have to use them

• Advertisement

Yes but what I'm saying is that your experience of mastering the game and the sense of achievement really shouldn't be diminished by somebody taking the easy route.

From the developers point of view having a broader audience is probably a good thing for potential sales.

That way of thinking is never entirely sound , Square enix tried to take that approach with the avengers to try to reach to the widest demographic as possible which left a game with no identity with the most recognisable characters in modern pop culture and it failed for them.

Having an easy mode can hurt what is special about videogames . That thrill of always been on the edge and overcoming obstacles is what gives it its special feeling . A game like Cuphead , when remove the challenge is pales in comparison that playing it the way it was designed to be played .

you dont appreciate the devs design for bosses when you have infinite health to rely on , and in the head you scratch what everyone sees in the game you dont see .

you dont get immersion from easy games .

Well the main thing holding people back, and I'm speaking for myself here, is time. And I would imagine that's true a lot of people who grew up with games from the olden days but now have jobs and families and other things that prevent them from sinking the amount of hours required into some of the harder games.

As I already mentioned , not having time is an excuse ( no meaning to attack you , not my intention )
    We all have a certain amount of time in the day to play videogames , but its people patience thats at fault when they hit a wall .

I find that is more at fault with how easy games have become over the years , and how the industry is trying to blend in with being an interactive movie than a videogame .

The greatest thing about videogames is , there can be a marketplace for those type of games , but my argument will forever stand not every game needs to cater to everyones needs .

If someone does not want to play dark souls , they can play a Star wars fallen jedi. There are plenty of games to choose from :)

That way of thinking is never entirely sound , Square enix tried to take that approach with the avengers to try to reach to the widest demographic as possible which left a game with no identity with the most recognisable characters in modern pop culture and it failed for them.

Having an easy mode can hurt what is special about videogames . That thrill of always been on the edge and overcoming obstacles is what gives it its special feeling . A game like Cuphead , when remove the challenge is pales in comparison that playing it the way it was designed to be played .

you dont appreciate the devs design for bosses when you have infinite health to rely on , and in the head you scratch what everyone sees in the game you dont see .

you dont get immersion from easy games .

I don't know anything about the Avengers games can't comment on that.

I'm fully in agreement with you above the level of engagement and achievement of a really challenging game and in terms of dumbing something down to appeal to a wider audience I am very much in agreement with you as far as movies go - where the experience is the same for everybody.

But games have the option of multiple audiences at multiple levels of difficulty so where we've been discussing things like the Souls games, Bloodborne etc I think a better comparison would be some of the driving games.

So in the Formula 1 games you have an option to go full manual, switch off all driver aids, increase the "intelligence" of the AI drivers , steering wheel and accessories etc etc for the pro players while still offering an arcade-like experience for the Sunday drivers who just want to bang wheels around the track for an hour or so.

In terms of skill level I don't think any of top players really care about the arcade mode when they are virtually racing with actual Formula 1 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

a game should be whatever the developers imagine it to be and not curtailed to suit everyone in my opinion

AnniePowwa wrote: »
    Yes they should, some people are there for the story and not the challenge

Watch a movie? What's the use for a *game* with no challenge?

I don't know anything about the Avengers games can't comment on that.

I'm fully in agreement with you above the level of engagement and achievement of a really challenging game and in terms of dumbing something down to appeal to a wider audience I am very much in agreement with you as far as movies go - where the experience is the same for everybody.

But games have the option of multiple audiences at multiple levels of difficulty so where we've been discussing things like the Souls games, Bloodborne etc I think a better comparison would be some of the driving games.

So in the Formula 1 games you have an option to go full manual, switch off all driver aids, increase the "intelligence" of the AI drivers , steering wheel and accessories etc etc for the pro players while still offering an arcade-like experience for the Sunday drivers who just want to bang wheels around the track for an hour or so.

In terms of skill level I don't think any of top players really care about the arcade mode when they are virtually racing with actual Formula 1 drivers.

I think thats a fair comparison :)
    But under Bloodborne design those Accessibility options are already put into place in its core design .
    When you get hit you lost a small chunk of your health , and its you up to you do you want to risk going offensive to recover all your health by hitting the enemy , or do you want to play it safe and use a blood vial to heal .

It always respects the players choice and skill and never makes the player feel small and incapable of figuring things out for themselves .

I just think if we start to focus so heavily on trying to make sure a game can suit everyones needs , gaming can never grow and expand because you always have to make sure someone can finish it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So can't speak for all Souls like games but the actual From made games aren't about being faster or having incredible reflexes they're about perseverance and observations. While you can get past some things by being quicker you probably weren't doing it right in the first place, this is the same for most of Froms games.

They aren't hardcore fighting games were you've a frame or 2 to figure out what the opponent's next move is, they telegraph them very visible and sometimes with giant flashing symbols.

This is something you see plenty of with sequels, the same attempt to broaden the demographic completely removes what make it unique and eventually kills the franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd have once been inclined towards the 'don't compromise the art!' argument, before realising that actually the art isn't at all compromised by making a game more approachable to more people. I go back to Celeste. I played through a gruelling, intense and challenging platformer that was often dependent on split second timing. I reached the end, and was delighted with myself. That sense of achievement was in no way diminished by the knowledge I could have given myself an extra dash or slowed down time if I so wished. I was happy more people could experience such a brilliant game on their own terms.

I adore the Souls games, and have finished them all. Difficulty isn't all they have to offer by any stretch - they are majestic, decaying worlds to explore, with complex, nuanced narratives that often require visiting every corner of the sprawling maps. I thoroughly enjoy the challenge and have no interest in tweaking them, but if there was an option for people to move the various dials in a way that allowed them to get the most out of the game it'd have zero impact on my default experience, but a substantial positive one for them.

To put it quite simply: Giving games robust difficulty or accessibility options does not diminish the challenge for those who wish to play hard or punishing games 'as the designers intended'. It just allows more people to experience the other elements of a game which are usually worth experiencing beyond mere difficulty.

Particular kudos to Mark Brown for his superb work on this very topic. Difficulty and accessibility don't always go hand in hand, it goes without saying, but his look at the ways games can be more welcoming to more people are invaluable IMO, and no question helped sway my own views on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Should all games be required to have an Easy Mode?
    Absolutely not. Advocating for such a requirement is lunacy.

Should developers strive to include variable difficult settings where possible in order to allow more people enjoy their work?
    Absolutely. If developers can accomplish that without compromising on their vision for the game then of course they should be encouraged to do it.

I'm not sure the manner in which you've worded the title or your OP is going to help here, Arcadeheroes. I'd be amazed if anyone would argue in favour of the first point and I'd be curious to know what articles you've read elsewhere that make it.

To touch on a few games you mentioned in the context of the second argument with some back-of-the-napkin comments...

A reasonable option for the Souls series would be to do a balance pass on the enemies in-game, wherein their attack damage is reduced without changing their patterns. An unreasonable one would be to remove the mechanic whereby enemies in the area respawn when you use a bonfire.

Reducing the difficulty via the level design of Super Meat Boy to accommodate lower skill levels would wholly compromise the experience and most definitely wouldn't be considered reasonable. Adding mid-level checkpoints would be very much reasonable.

Cuphead already has an easy mode in all but name - Simple Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

God no

Heck, im against anything other than one mode, easy/hard modes just break the game balance. If you wanna be lazy and experience the story by breezing through the game with zero effort then use cheats or watch someone play it on twitch, same thing..

I'm noticing an increasing trend with games coming out now with them being heavily padded, which is a result of most people playing the games on easy, breezing through them and then complaining they're too short :rolleyes:

It's a "game", it's should be a challenge. :(

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Should all games be required to have an Easy Mode?
    Absolutely not. Advocating for such a requirement is lunacy.

Should developers strive to include variable difficult settings where possible in order to allow more people enjoy their work?
    Absolutely. If developers can accomplish that without compromising on their vision for the game then of course they should be encouraged to do it.

I'm not sure the manner in which you've worded the title or your OP is going to help here, Arcadeheroes. I'd be amazed if anyone would argue in favour of the first point and I'd be curious to know what articles you've read elsewhere that make it.

To touch on a few games you mentioned in the context of the second argument with some back-of-the-napkin comments...

A reasonable option for the Souls series would be to do a balance pass on the enemies in-game, wherein their attack damage is reduced without changing their patterns. An unreasonable one would be to remove the mechanic whereby enemies in the area respawn when you use a bonfire.

Reducing the difficulty via the level design of Super Meat Boy to accommodate lower skill levels would wholly compromise the experience and most definitely wouldn't be considered reasonable. Adding mid-level checkpoints would be very much reasonable.

Cuphead already has an easy mode in all but name - Simple Mode.

Apologies for the wording of the title , my first original one was too wordy :pac:

The one that always comes to mind is the Sekiro one by forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/03/28/sekiro-shadows-dies-twice-needs-to-respect-its-players-and-add-an-easy-mode/?sh=545256616393

I am going to use FromSoft games as an example here , but I think if you tamper with the way the souls games and sekiro are designed you lose too much on what the games are truly meant to be.

Souls series theme is the ending cycle of death , it lasted so long in peoples memories for almost 12 years because it took the risk of trusting the player to get through areas and bosses on their own .

A comparison I want to bring up is from Mike Matel from
    Cinemassacre (although this might open another can of worms) is the rewind feature in classic Nintendo classic games/ Capcom and Konami collection games that were released over the years with the Castlevania, Megaman , Nes remix games .

outside of the Mario series , Mega Man is my favourite platformer of all time especially Mega Man 1 -3 and Mega Man X

In the Mega Man Legacy games you can Spam the hell out of the rewind feature and complete the game .

Now if someone was playing Mega Man for the first time and using this rewind feature , can they truly enjoy the Mega Man series?, even if they were spamming the rewind feature till the very end of the game ?

It essentially becomes a very different game , and loses what makes it as great as a series at it is , cause its difficulty is designed with the gameplay .

Yes Cuphead has a simple mode , but people who play that mode compared to the way its supposed to be played , are two very different games and got two very different experiences finishing it .

There is so much to love about the design and effort that went into creating such different variety of bosses , I simply cant see people appreciating it playing on a easy mode which to me is insulting the devs hardwork they put creating such amazing different experiences of games .

a game should be whatever the developers imagine it to be and not curtailed to suit everyone in my opinion

A game should cater to the consumer, whomever marketing (or game designer) decides that should be.

The people paying the bills call the shots, not the other way around

A game should cater to the consumer, whomever marketing (or game designer) decides that should be.

giphy.gif

Great artists don't pander to the audience, they give them something they didn't know they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In the Mega Man Legacy games you can Spam the hell out of the rewind feature and complete the game .

Now if someone was playing Mega Man for the first time and using this rewind feature , can they truly enjoy the Mega Man series?, even if they were spamming the rewind feature till the very end of the game ?

It essentially becomes a very different game , and loses what makes it as great as a series at it is , cause its difficulty is designed with the gameplay .

The days of playing Mega man with no rewind are long gone as people are not going to have the patience these days due to their been too many other games to play. I played Uncharted 4 and Assassins Creed Oddessy on easy mode, I'm glad I did as I think both games are not good enough to play on normal mode. The problem with easy mode is the fact that it's shoved in your face before you have started the game rather than starting the game on normal and having something in the options that can help you but only if you actually need help.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I think easy difficulty modes should be available in all future games next generation...as a €9.99 DLC pack . Muhahahahahahahahahahhah...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. :pac:

Greyfox wrote: »
    Uncharted 4 and Assassins Creed Oddessy on easy mode,

They are both perfect examples of games that become broke as a result of multiple difficulties. If the devs only had to worry about one game mode, the game play would be more polished and fun.

Now dont get me wrong, when i say all game modes should be just one difficulty, i dont mean that difficulty should mostly be hard like say some people might look at Dark souls games, or as above mentioned the mega man like games of old, some games should be easier than others, but i strongly believe them being one difficulty would be better for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The difficulty level someone else plays on should have ZERO impact on your own sense of achievement, if it does impact you that speaks more to your own fragile ego and/or sense of importance than anything else. I look at gaming over the last few decades and on my scale they've already en-masse turned to easy mode. Console controllers limited options so games got slower, FOVs smaller, hitboxes larger and on anything involving aim with a console controller you have aim-assist/aim-botting. Don't think that because you finished a SoulsBorne that you are at the pinnacle of gaming skill and therefore can dictate that for any one else. From my PoV gaming has become easier over time to allow for more and more casual players, so what? It means more people enjoying a past time that when I started had you looked down on as a freak. I choose to play in ways to avoid the factors I've mentioned above if I can but I am glad that those who want or need them have them there. My choice is mine, theirs is theirs, and the more developers cater for this the better - required? No...strongly encouraged? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think people realise the amount of work it can take it implement difficulty selections. If you're demanding every full feature game have a difficulty selection you could be bloating their budget by a nontrivial amount depending on the game. Some games like Demon's Souls incorporate ways to make the game easier or harder within the game itself rather than just a selection at the beginning. To change that would fundamentally alter the game.

A lot of difficulty selections can also go wrong. Harder difficulty settings may increase the severity of difficulty spikes the game might already suffer from and easy modes can teach bad habits that eventually, even on easy mode, begin to harshly punish the user for not understanding a core combat technique or strategy that the user would've learned earlier on a standard or hard difficulty. This can lead to incredible frustration later in the game when the user just wanted to coast through it. I saw this firsthand for a DMC4 stream (Human mode & all assistance inputs on) where the player didn't understand you could time special grab attacks on bosses and enemies until the final boss where he needed it. He outright said it spoiled the entire game up until then. He also didn't understand some dodging basics because he didn't need to for most of the game and because of that he got completely wrecked over and over towards the end. He left with a terrible impression of that game.

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The difficulty level someone else plays on should have ZERO impact on your own sense of achievement, if it does impact you that speaks more to your own fragile ego and/or sense of importance than anything else. I look at gaming over the last few decades and on my scale they've already en-masse turned to easy mode. Console controllers limited options so games got slower, FOVs smaller, hitboxes larger and on anything involving aim with a console controller you have aim-assist/aim-botting. Don't think that because you finished a SoulsBorne that you are at the pinnacle of gaming skill and therefore can dictate that for any one else. From my PoV gaming has become easier over time to allow for more and more casual players, so what? It means more people enjoying a past time that when I started had you looked down on as a freak. I choose to play in ways to avoid the factors I've mentioned above if I can but I am glad that those who want or need them have them there. My choice is mine, theirs is theirs, and the more developers cater for this the better - required? No...strongly encouraged? Yes

If your comment is directed at me , you have completely missed the point I was trying to make :confused:

Advertisement