Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone seen the film 'Incendies'?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Incendies is a foreign film, would highly recommend it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It might help if you said a bit more about why you liked it. This is a forum for discussion, after all. I saw it. Didn't like it. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Saw it at JDIFF and was kinda disappointed. The film builds up to this big revelation moment and when it arrives it requires an insane amount of suspension of disbelief, so much so that it almost spoils the rest of it.

Reminds me of the problem I had with Babel, in that it requires (to move the plot forward) complete coincidences bringing characters in different parts of the world together. But this is just imo of course, I was really pumped up too because the film opens with one of my favorite songs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah wasn't Wowed either. Pretty overblown for the most part. My biggest problem was that the characters were just too uninteresting to invest in. Motivations were inconsistent. It's not an awful film, but it's a fairly bland one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

I thought it was a very moving film, sad and the ending had me shaking my head for ages afterwards, but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

going through top movie lists, I've watched over a hundred films recently the I skipped Oldboy because after hearing a lot of the plot I don't like violence and contrived perversion for "Arts" sake, then knowing nothing about it, I watch this :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

One of my favourite "foreign" film. Denis Villeneuve's best, imo. The "twist" was so shocking I can't get the story and lots of the imagery out of my head for days and I still think about this film a lot, I can't explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

camz09 wrote: »
    One of my favourite "foreign" film. Denis Villeneuve's best, imo. The "twist" was so shocking I can't get the story and lots of the imagery out of my head for days and I still think about this film a lot, I can't explain it.
    Similarly with "The Secret in Their Eyes".

Thought that "incendies" was pretty compelling

I'd put it just slightly above that Argentinian movie mentioned.

Advertisement