Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish winter running gear (5k) country roads

• 26-10-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Ok random part time runner (fair weather ) looking for winter road running gear advice. Usually a shorts and running top summer runner, so Irish winter roads and weather will be a new experience. Any advice on gear and winter running appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Running in cold weather u need to dress for how warm you'll be during the run, not starting it, ie don't wrap up too warm heading out as you will overheat.

For me all I have for winter running is long sleeve tops, running tights (cheap pair for €15 on sportshoes.com) - please do not wear shorts over tights, just don't. A beanie hat and gloves also essential for really cold days - no need to spend big, I find the €3 wooly gloves from Heatons work just fine. After a while you figure out what works for you,

If running on the roads, hi vis and head torch are a must.

Enjoy, there is nothing like getting out on a cold winter's morning for a run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Enjoy and stay safe........

Personally, Under Armour type tops are a must. The rest is personal preference TBH, I hate hats, tights can be good if it's particularly unpleasant, I often use gloves too.

Biggest thing it to see, and more importantly TO BE SEEN! A light, reflective tip is a must, something like the grey reflective jacket type thing are very visible, but have your wits about you, it's no fun on country roads in the dark, cars don't care nor expect to see you, and you'll have to dodge them regardless of how visible you are - just be safe and have your wits about you.

TBH, I gave up and went to a gym last year for the few months after a few near misses, and bought a treadmill this year, too fvcking dodgy around here tbh.

Good luck and stay at it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

please do not wear shorts over tights, just don't.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought running tights in heatons ( sports world) cost me 25 euro and I love them ..... like above being a man I was a bit nervous at start and wore shorts but i stopped pretty quick mainly because they felt better without and i saw a few running with shorts over tights and thought they looked silly...... AAA Haaaaa

I wear one of my compression long sleeve tops and wear a high vis tight bib over it .... I wear a small hat I can take off and shove in side of tights if hot....( not down front for safety of local ladies driving) ( or even men I suppose)

I wear a pair of my full cycling gloves sometimes ...... but basically I cycle as much as I run and generally use same gear a lot .... i run sometimes with a cycle top on and can shove hats or gloves in back pockets.... very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

All, thanks a mill as a man I had planned shorts over leggings. I am now seriously re thinking it. Summer running is grand Irish winter will be interesting. We will see how we go with the cold and wet. Again appreciate all the info...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    All, thanks a mill as a man I had planned shorts over leggings. I am now seriously re thinking it. Summer running is grand Irish winter will be interesting. We will see how we go with the cold and wet. Again appreciate all the info...

Shorts over tights is absolutely not ok and should be banned,

However, tights under your shorts are totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

pc11 wrote: »
    Shorts over tights is absolutely not ok and should be banned,

However, tights under your shorts are totally fine.

Shorts over tights should be up there with EPOs on the banned list

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

T-Shirt with a long sleeve running top (DCM finishers top) over it is what I usually wear.

Hat and gloves. Gloves a cheapo like above. Maybe a snood. Really depends on what I'm doing and how cold. Gloves usually every run around now but I'm out 6-6:30 am.

Highviz and head torch.

I might take off a layer and hat and just pick them up at end of run. If speed session I'd wear everything for my warm up and put back on for cool down. Easy run they might stay on all session. Dress for weather than season.

I don't wear rain jackets etc as they just turn into sweatboxes. If rain just suck it up and go.

Not into tights as might be cold for first few minutes but give yourself 10 minutes easy they'll be fine.

You'll see plenty of people running around dress like it is -20 outside with jackets wide open or tied around their waste like a big cape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

Dont normally wear a rain jacket but I am planning to run a bit more over winter so saw this one for cheap enough, looks a good job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X1WYD6R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11AL0WA87TGSX&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

If you can wait until Black Friday 27/11 you may get a better deal on a winter jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Short and t-shirt all year round. If below freezing, a long sleeve t-shirt and gloves/hat also are allowed. Head torch if dark.

As stated above, dress for the middle of your run, not the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I bought this Jacket from Elverys and wore it for the second time this evening with only a t-shirt and so far i have found it to be very good, it is nice and light keeping the rain and wind out while also warm.

Klopp wrote: »
    If you can wait until Black Friday 27/11 you may get a better deal on a winter jacket.

Good shout, sportsshoes.com usually have great BF deals

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

I wear two thin layers on top, one long-sleeved, and take one off if I get too hot. I also acquired a pair of light gloves that I can take off and stuff into my shorts. I wear tights (no shorts!) and a buff thing for my head if it's very cold. I felt ridiculous the first couple of times I went out with the tights and buff but I got over myself. And a baseball cap is great for keeping the rain off your face.

Whatever you wear make sure you're easily seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

I wear two thin layers on top, one long-sleeved, and take one off if I get too hot. I also acquired a pair of light gloves that I can take off and stuff into my shorts. I wear tights (no shorts!) and a buff thing for my head if it's very cold. I felt ridiculous the first couple of times I went out with the tights and buff but I got over myself. And a baseball cap is great for keeping the rain off your face.

Whatever you wear make sure you're easily seen!

Yeah bought the tights can’t see myself going out in public with them. It will be shorts for me I think. I keep thinking Rocky Horror Show re the tights

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Yeah bought the tights can’t see myself going out in public with them. It will be shorts for me I think. I keep thinking Rocky Horror Show re the tights

I'm sure you're only lovely.

Feck that, i had the tights on tonight. Was a cold one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think it's very individual, people experience the cold/wet differently, there's a bit of trial and error involved. For me the main change is the addition of a pair of gloves! I have Raynaud's phenomenon and my fingers get extremely cold. Other than that I don't change a lot, maybe switch the baseball hat for a beanie in frosty or very cold weather. The key thing for me is getting into a hot shower as quickly as possible afterwards. I'm rarely cold once I'm running but I find in Winter if I don't get into a shower asap then that's when i get very very cold and it takes a lot to warm up if I left it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

For the first time ever (honest) I bought 3 pairs of ladies tights for 3.50 in Dunnes today..
    Cut the crotch end off, cut the toe end off left with 2 running sleeves...
    Take off when/if it gets too warm, and fit into running belt or pockets, thry fold up small.
    60 cent each !!
    I see you can buy thermal tights for 8.50euro..
    Probably too warm..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

4Ad wrote: »
    For the first time ever (honest) I bought 3 pairs of ladies tights for 3.50 in Dunnes today..
    Cut the crotch end off, cut the toe end off

Did not know where this was going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

4Ad wrote: »
    Cut the crotch end off, cut the toe end off left with 2 running sleeves...

Fishnets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Fishnets?

Of course ! Forgot to mention that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

ariana` wrote: »
    I think it's very individual, people experience the cold/wet differently, there's a bit of trial and error involved.

Definitely, i'm lucky in that I'm the opposite and rarely have cold hands, and i don't really feel the cold on my legs either so i still wear shorts. in saying that, we haven't had a really really cold winter in a while, so i image some morning i'll be in for a real shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote: »
    I think it's very individual, people experience the cold/wet differently, there's a bit of trial and error involved. For me the main change is the addition of a pair of gloves! I have Raynaud's phenomenon and my fingers get extremely cold. Other than that I don't change a lot, maybe switch the baseball hat for a beanie in frosty or very cold weather. The key thing for me is getting into a hot shower as quickly as possible afterwards. I'm rarely cold once I'm running but I find in Winter if I don't get into a shower asap then that's when i get very very cold and it takes a lot to warm up if I left it too long.

You legend E. I had to Google that but now I finally have an answer to what used to be called my "ghost fingers". Never heard of that condition til now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

You legend E. I had to Google that but now I finally have an answer to what used to be called my "ghost fingers". Never heard of that condition til now.
    Haha happy to help! You should mention it to your GP sometime, it's not worthy of a special visit but if you're there anyhow... It's quite mad though isn't it, my kids think it's hilarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have it as well. It started out 4 years ago on just one finger above the top joint. It has gradually spread to the point where I now have ghost or 'dead mans' hands in the cold...totally white to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I have it as well. It started out 4 years ago on just one finger above the top joint. It has gradually spread to the point where I now have ghost or 'dead mans' hands in the cold...totally white to look at.

I had thought it was anything from early arthritis to me cracking my knuckles for years. At least now I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ShadowSA

I am from South Africa, just moved here 1 month ago.

Currently running in shorts, a long running top with gloves and a beanie. Definitely far colder than what I am used to as well as the sun setting at 5pm.

Bought an armband light which I keep in my backpack with torches as I have been caught in the dark already.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ShadowSA

Looking for a running top that I can wear in the rain but will wait till the shops open as my sizing is all different to the norm. Then I think I will be sorted and happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Running in cold weather u need to dress for how warm you'll be during the run, not starting it, ie don't wrap up too warm heading out as you will overheat.

For me all I have for winter running is long sleeve tops, running tights (cheap pair for €15 on sportshoes.com) - please do not wear shorts over tights, just don't. A beanie hat and gloves also essential for really cold days - no need to spend big, I find the €3 wooly gloves from Heatons work just fine. After a while you figure out what works for you,

If running on the roads, hi vis and head torch are a must.

Enjoy, there is nothing like getting out on a cold winter's morning for a run :)

Men can wear shorts over tights right?

Advertisement