Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 checkpoint

Options
  • 06-11-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry if this is mentioned in other forums, does anyone know when these checkpoints are to be stopped?

Traffic on the M1 is getting worse and worse, on Tuesday after waiting 40 minutes in the traffic jam there wasnt a sign of any guard, they must have been in their cars, i commute from Dundalk to Dublin every day but it seems any alternative routes have checkpoints too.

I wouldnt mind but stopping people on a motorway where its clear on rush hour that people are coming from work is just bonkers :mad:

Comments

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry if this is mentioned in other forums, does anyone know when these checkpoints are to be stopped?..............

When folk aren't being advised not to move from county to county again.

The checkpoints are frustrating to all of the genuine work commuters and I doubt they deter any from unessential trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah was stuck in it for ten minutes last monday evening and got to the end and about 10 garda standing on the side of the motorway. Not stopping anyone. Thought it was kinda bizzare. Maybe they thinking the traffic jam is a deterrent to people using the road? That said there was a lot of traffic on it.

I imagine they are mandated to have the checkpoint there but the Gardai are rightfully thinking there is no value in stopping loads of work commuters :)
    They are doing their best to minimise the delay that they are forced to inflict.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so it's the accordion effect from motorists slowing when they see the gardai, assuming they'll be stopped?

It's down to one lane and they've a chicane type thing with traffic cones also, the volume of traffic means it comes to a crawl for the merge to one lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I would think once (if) we come out of level 5 on 1st December they may stop then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭furiousox

Using exit 6 and going through Gormanstown was an option (brought you out at the Huntsman pub) but that route is as busy as the M1 now.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Augeo wrote: »
    When folk aren't being advised not to move from county to county again.

The checkpoints are frustrating to all of the genuine work commuters and I doubt they deter any from unessential trips.

Anyone bent on rule breaking isn't going to take main routes anyway.

Indeed.... It's only adding time onto essential workers commutes.... In the 'spirit' of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

furiousox wrote: »
    Using exit 6 and going through Gormanstown was an option (brought you out at the Huntsman pub) but that route is as busy as the M1 now.

Junction 6 is a complete disaster (in peak times anyway), the queue can be quite long and ive seen people even queuing on the hard shoulder and cutting in last minute over the hatched lines, i wouldnt be surprised if there was a crash at that point one of these evenings

• Advertisement
Advertisement