Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Movie Walrus - World Premiere Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Where: 10th place/ 1 point
    What: Dogville 2003
    Who:
    QB

Had not seen this one before nor I don't think I'd heard of it. I will just get straight to the point, I didn't like it. It's basically one sound stage, like a play and it's 3 bloody hours long. I'm sure it works for some but it was not for me. Unique take on a movie for sure. That's really the selling point, outside of that, it's boring. Good acting is the only positive I can say, not enough to save this for me. My Rating 5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276919/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

Where: 9th place/ 2 points
    What: Poltergeist 1982
    Who:
    Spooks

Had not seen this in years. A family's dream house is invaded by a malevolent ghost who abducts their daughter. They bring in a team of experts to bring her back.
    The first 3rd is nice, builds a bit of character. Then about half ways through, this movie just gets really messy. At this point, I was thinking, this is too cartoony. Just a lot of shouting mixed in with slow parts. However, just when you think the movie is over, there is another twist. Now this is where the movie picks up, the final 20 mins or so are very good. Acting here is decent, nothing outstanding. Runtime of just under 2 hour, probably about right. I was really looking forward to watching this as my memory of it was good but it didn't live up to my expectations. It's a decent movie but nothing special. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

what category is this?

Impress us I think it was called

Where: 8th place/ 3 points
    What: A Bronx Tale 1993
    Who:
    Tusk

Saw this movie before, and thought it was okay. Let me start by saying this is not my favourite genre, though stay tuned, that might change later :)
    No point in me discussing the storyline, you probably all know it. Directorial debut for Robert DeNiro, who also stars in the movie. Good acting, pacing was fine, nice use of location. Seemed to be a lot of crime drama movies out around this time, and a lot of much better ones. A decent movie but for this round, not a great choice I’m afraid. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106489/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

• Advertisement

and there goes my only hope of ever winning a walrus :(

*storms off in an emotional breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

tusk wrote: »
    and there goes my only hope of ever winning a walrus :(

*storms off in an emotional breakdown

But you had a 6 point lead going in, you could still win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

But you had a 6 point lead going in, you could still win.

tusk just likes the drama :p

Where: 7th place/ 4 points
    What: Count of Monte Cristo 2002
    Who:
    sKeith

I’m sure I’ve heard of this movie (as apparently it’s based on a famous book) but first time watching it. I’m not really into the genre of this movie so I wasn’t looking forward to it, but, read on :)
    Let me start with saying Guy Pearce is usually a good bet that the movie will be decent. Saying that, the protagonist, played by Jim Caviezel, stole the show for me. He plays an honest working sailor who is betrayed by his best friend (Pearce) out of jealousy and sent to an island prison to rot. He escaped after some years and finds a hidden treasure, transforming into the Count of Monte Cristo. At this point, he plots his revenge of the man who betrayed him and is now married to his sweetheart. I think the acting here was very good and some good old drama without over the top action. There are some fight scenes which were well done. Not expecting much from this movie, I really enjoyed it, a real surprise if you will. Might not be top of my list but a very good pick. My rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Trailer:

Necro wrote: »

Dame Judy Tusk would be a more fitting username alright...

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »

tusk is just bad at maths :pac:

Where: 6th place/ 5 points
    What: Hold the Dark 2018
    Who:
    Deleted User

Not seen this movie. This was a real surprise. A thriller with elements of horror, it tells the story of a wolf tracker who is asked to find and kill the wolves presumed responsible for the death of 3 local children in a small village in Alaska.
    The acting here is very good and there is a superb use of the location. A Netflix original, which is usually not a great thing, but this one is. There are better movies in this category but this is possibly the biggest surprise. Great choice. My Rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5057140/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

*blushes*

:D

Where: 5th place/ 6 points
    What: MacKenna's Gold 1969
    Who:
    Irishejit

This was a movie I had not heard of. An action western as you might have guessed. Not a genre I know too much about, though I have watched a few and I plan to watch more westerns. That said, it will need to be good to get my attention. Good news here, I really enjoyed this one. Great cast, Gregory Peck, Omar Shariff, and Eli Wallach to name but a few. The setting, as in most good westerns, is excellent. Old movies, which I’m a big fan of, especially the classic period of the 40s and 50s, have a charm you just don’t get anymore. This one being from the late 60s, does not rely on the special effects you see these days and that's the kind of charm I like. So all in all, this was a great pick, and actually jumped up the pecking order (pun intended) from when I initially watched it. I want to watch this one again, probably more than any of the other movies in this category. Excellent choice. My rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064615/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

Where: 4th place/ 7 points
    What: Joker 2019
    Who:
    Necro

First time watching this movie having heard lots of good things about it. Let's get the negative out of the way. Very dark theme which I found difficult to watch at times. Now, what is good about it, well let's see, phenomenal performance by Jaoquin Phoenix, excellent character development and a good score to name but a few. This is basically an alternative telling of the origins of DC supervillain, The Joker, based in the early 80s. So a brilliant pick that just misses out on a podium finish as I just personally prefer the 3 above it. My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

Where: 3rd place/ 8 points
    What: The Warriors 1979
    Who:
    LeVar

A safe bet this one. The Warriors try to make their way home from the Bronx to Coney Island after being framed for shooting a high crime figure. But, with all the other gangs in New York out to stop them, it's not that simple.
    I think everyone is familiar with this movie. They incorporate the background of NYC really well in this movie. The movie is mostly shot at night, which I'm sure made the on location easier. Not many familiar actors here however they all do a fine job. Some nice build up of tension in places. Some people might say there are elements of horror here but I would call it a standard thriller. Music is nice, really uses the time period. You might expect a lot more action in this movie than there actually is but I'm fine with that. Not sure how well this movie did initially but it's more a cult classic now. It does what it says on the tin and does it well. A short and a good watch, you will be back for more. My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/

Trailer:

Where: 2nd place/ 9 points
    What: Shutter Island 2010
    Who:
    Skunky

Have seen this one before, and let me start by saying I really liked it when I first watched it. Let us see if that has changed. A psychological thriller, Teddy Daniels, is sent to investigate the disappearance of a murdered from an asylum on Shutter Island. Or course, as the movie progresses, we find out that is not actually the case. This one has a great twist, something I love in movies.
    Leonardo DiCaprio is one of my favourite actors and he really does a great job here, as do the support cast. The setting is great and really adds to the atmosphere. So great acting, setting, and story. Was it as good as the first time I watched, not really. I would have given this one an 8 but on the rewatch, my rating is 7.5. Great pick though.

IMDB:https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130884/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Trailer:

The Warriors is one of my favourite films, but probably not as well known as you think it is Kol. There's far too many who've never even heard of it. Happy with 3rd here anyway. Nice one.

Where: 1st place/ 10 points
    What: Goodfellas 1990
    Who:
    GreenSpurs

I've seen this one before, as I'm sure everyone here has. How did it stand up on 2nd viewing, well pretty damn well as it gets my top spot. Firstly, I'm not really into gangster movies so it was a risky move picking one. However, if you were to pick one, you've picked the right one. This movie is just excellent. It's got the acting, story, characters. I'm not surprised it was voted the best movie here some time ago. As I said, I don't watch these types of movies much, but what has me on the edge of my seat is wondering if a character is just going to snap for no reason and kill someone. Also seeing them get their comeuppance in the end is nice, I won't spoil this one though. Great choice, a gold star for you. My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

The winners of Double Movie Walrus are....

LadySkunk and tusk

Thanks for playing everyone, from Mick and myself, goodnight

"
    Player | 80s | Immotional | Hiiden Gems | True Story | Impressive | Total
    LadySkunk | 6 | 7 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 37
    tusk | 7 | 8 | 10 | 9 | 3 | 37
    LeVar | 3 | 10 | 3 | 10 | 8 | 34
    Greenspur | 2 | 9 | 8 | 4 | 10 | 33
    Necro | 5 | 2 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 25
    Perse | 10 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 24
    Irishejit | 8 | 3 | 4 | 2 | 6 | 23
    Spooks | 9 | 5 | 1 | 5 | 2 | 22
    QB | 4 | 6 | 9 | 1 | 1 | 21
    sKeith | 1 | 1 | 6 | 7 | 4 | 19
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Congrats tusk and Skunk. Well played.

Thanks Kol and Mick for running.

Thanks Kol and Mick :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk and Skunk, joint at the hip them two!!

Well done folks.

Cheers Kol and Mickarooney!!

The Warriors is one of my favourite films, but probably not as well known as you think it is Kol. There's far too many who've never even heard of it. Happy with 3rd here anyway. Nice one.

I would have watched this as a kid in the 80s, probably before I should have :) and all my mates would have seen it too so I assumed it was quite well known. A real joy rewatching it, thanks for nominating it.

WEHEY!!!

Thanks lads. that was great fun.

It's bittersweet sharing my first win with skunk, but hey, ya gotta take what you can get!

Kolido wrote: »
    I would have watched this as a kid in the 80s, probably before I should have :) and all my mates would have seen it too so I assumed it was quite well known. A real joy rewatching it, thanks for nominating it.

Yeah, I'd have the same kind of circles of friends from college and the like and we all love it, but outside of those groups very few people seem to know it which is a shame.

Went down to Coney Island when I was in New York specifically because of The Warriors, chanting "Warriors, Come Out To Play" on the Subway all the way there. The few people I had convinced to come down with me had no idea what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Kolido wrote: »
    I would have watched this as a kid in the 80s.

I presumed you were ancient when you said you liked westerns. My mam used to torture us as kids with John Wayne on replay. Traumatising.

I presumed you were ancient when you said you liked westerns. My mam used to torture us as kids with John Wayne on replay. Traumatising.

You don't have to be elderly to like westerns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

You don't have to be elderly to like westerns :D

I would have thought they only appealed to OAP's :P

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm still a young pup :) I can confirm I've never watched a John Wayne western.
    I did like the few westerns that I have watched.

Advertisement