Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef factories bank transfer payment

• 05-11-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Factory told me the An Post deliveries is going very slow so might have to be a bit more patient for cheque,it’s sent but cause of all the online shopping and lockdown , it got me thinking why can’t they do a bank transfer for slaughter payments. I know they hold the cheques longer than they should to save euros and cheques are a pain as you have to go into the bank to lodge them, especially now With Covid , it would be handy for a direct payment .
    Is everyone paid by cheque?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

jntsnk wrote: »
    Factory told me the An Post deliveries is going very slow so might have to be a bit more patient for cheque,it’s sent but cause of all the online shopping and lockdown , it got me thinking why can’t they do a bank transfer for slaughter payments. I know they hold the cheques longer than they should to save euros and cheques are a pain as you have to go into the bank to lodge them, especially now With Covid , it would be handy for a direct payment .
    Is everyone paid by cheque?

Everyone. It won't happen its a source of credit for the factories. Some auld lads have been known not to cash cheques for months. Other have them in their wallets for a while. If they went direct debt it would cost them millions. In Poland farmers wait weeks for payment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Killed heifers 29th Oct. Cheque arrived today 5th Nov.
    So 8 days later.
    I know over the years if you called in in person the next day your cheque would be there for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Never had an issue with cheques. If I want to collect they are there and if posted I usually get it within 48 hours. TBF to ABP if slaughtered on Thursday cheque is usually with you in Fridays post.

If it a small independent factory is spinning about cheques going out to eight days I get suspicious and would not be sending big loads of cattle. I want any cheque cashed before next load go into factory.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone old enough to remember when factories used to close and catch farmers for thousands. Larry saw this as an opportunity and paid farmers with cheques before they left the factory.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

"Insist on payment on the day "
    Is the old ifa mantra. Suppose op,
    it just reinforces the notion that they have always been way too cosy with the factories, that electronic payments aren't normalised.

I agree with you re the cheques,especially so when most small farmer suppliers only deal with one factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I find Kepak & Liffey are grand if want to wait you ll get the cheque on the the day or collect it before lunch the next day as it goes in the evenings post so you ll have it the next morning.. just wish they would put more in the cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Our local Larry factory is always spot on. Two days after its in the post box. No problem calling up to collect it if you want either.

Used to deal with a factory in the North...... Give me strength!!!

My old man was lucky enough never to get caught by Tralee beef n lamb or Roses in Watergrasshill. The way it worked near the end was, they'd give you a good thing for the load of cattle but you would not get paid until you'd another load given.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    "Insist on payment on the day "
    Is the old ifa mantra. Suppose op,
    it just reinforces the notion that they have always been way too cosy with the factories, that electronic payments aren't normalised.

I agree with you re the cheques,especially so when most small farmer suppliers only deal with one factory.

I think everyone saw last year exactly what you'll make the factories do. They're better left alone, look at the sheep trade.
    There was a factory went bust years ago when I was involved with IFA and it was an absolute joke the number of cheques that were up to six mths old, hence the ''insist on payment on the day'' . Hard to believe people could be so stupid that they need to be told.
    I don't think it's a big issue to get cheques and it gives the factory extra credit so win win

Oh i knew the mention of the ifa would draw you out wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Never had an issue with cheques. If I want to collect they are there and if posted I usually get it within 48 hours. TBF to ABP if slaughtered on Thursday cheque is usually with you in Fridays post.

If it a small independent factory is spinning about cheques going out to eight days I get suspicious and would not be sending big loads of cattle. I want any cheque cashed before next load go into factory.

Ah that’s harsh Bass. Remember these guys are minnows swimming with sharks. They keep the floor in “out of spec” cattle and keep the live trade alive. If the terms are understood and you can afford to do so a few weeks isn’t the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Defender of the realm!
    They should find him a new hobby as he does us no good on this.

You're a joke if you think you can tell the factories what to do, the farmers were a solid joke at the gates last year if they didn't f..k up the trade , but I had you all warned
    €138m GLAS this week and €150m during the year but the incessant whingeing of BEEFPLAN farmers goes on,

Jjameson wrote: »
    Ah that’s harsh Bass. Remember these guys are minnows swimming with sharks. They keep the floor in “out of spec” cattle and keep the live trade alive. If the terms are understood and you can afford to do so a few weeks isn’t the end of the world.

We sell our lambs on a Thursday, Weights Emailed on thursday evening, Cheque posted friday, we get it Monday, Posted then to the bank, in the bank on Tuesday.

wrangler wrote: »
    You're a joke if you think you can tell the factories what to do, the farmers were a solid joke at the gates last year if they didn't f..k up the trade , but I had you all warned
    €138m GLAS this week and €150m during the year but the incessant whingeing of BEEFPLAN farmers goes on,
    Calm down. You don't know me too well

We sell our lambs on a Thursday, Weights Emailed on thursday evening, Cheque posted friday, we get it Monday, Posted then to the bank, in the bank on Tuesday.

Did you have a load of lambs in today? Red Offaly reg lorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Defender of the realm!
    They should find him a new hobby as he does us no good on this.

Was his post not exactly true like?

Did you have a load of lambs in today? Red Offaly reg lorry?

There was two loads today, about 800. lorries would be white with green stripes.
    The haulier is always buying lorries and they re spray them selves in their own workshop when they get time. If it was ours the trailer would be white anyway.
    Since the Covid we're not allowed go to the factory to sort the lambs,
    We sold the last of our lambs today. €110, averaged nearly 5.40/kg. It has been some years for sheep

There was two loads today, about 800. lorries would be white with green stripes.
    The haulier is always buying lorries and they re spray them selves in their own workshop when they get time. If it was ours the trailer would be white anyway.
    We sold the last of our lambs today. €110, averaged nearly 5.40/kg. It has been some years for sheep

Yes I was stuck waiting for one to unload!
    Great lambs from what I seen.

Yes I was stuck waiting for one to unload!
    Great lambs from what I seen.

Was the trailer white
    I thought they used to tell famers to be in early on thursday, We'd be told the time to be there and they're supposed to try to avoid having farmers there.
    It takes a good while to unload as they have to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭morphy87

I know two men in sheep, they said the same as your self, they had a great year,it’s great to see,

• Advertisement

Was the trailer white
    I thought they used to tell famers to be in early on thursday, We'd be told the time to be there and they're supposed to try to avoid having farmers there.
    It takes a good while to unload as they have to be sorted.

Red tractor unit green and white lorry. A big blue and white washing out. It was dinner time. I’d say most local lamb was in well before it came. I’m a late riser!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Waiting on payment for 10 days is that normal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Gave you rang them. Is it an independent or a small abbatoir. Did you get there weight and grade

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sent cattle to be killed on Monday. Cheque was in todays post. 2-3 days after slaughter seems to be the norm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Same as that, I use a couple of different factories and it’d never be any more than 2-3 days. Killed on Tuesday and expecting the cheque to arrive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Anyone have cattle killed Dunleavy Meats Ballina ? Slow to pay ?

Advertisement