Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long is too long? - Storing fuel in tank in Hybrid

Options
  • 05-11-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So I bought a nice hybrid for myself and I am pretty happy about the purchase.

I filled the car up for 60 quid but have been mostly driving in electric as I can charge at work. I have not seen the fuel needle move at all despite driving it in hybrid from time to time.

I know the fuel tank is pressurised to prevent evaporation but how long can I keep the fuel in the tank before it becomes bad to a point that I will have to pump it out and clean the fuel system etc?

Car is a Passat B8 GTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    but how long can I keep the fuel in the tank before it becomes bad to a point that I will have to pump it out and clean the fuel system etc?

Why would you do that?
    Can you not just drive it on petrol?

Shoulda got a full BEV m8 :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Kramer wrote: »
    Why would you do that?
    Can you not just drive it on petrol?

Shoulda got a full BEV m8 :p.

It is not really what I have asked for but to answer your question, BEV is still beyond my reach in terms of price, but thanks for advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Just don't bother charging it, let it run on petrol and next time only put 10- 20 euro into it.

Last time I put petrol in was mid August, just to stop the petrol warning light coming on when I was going up a hill, Aprils 25 euros worth lasted 5 months technically I am still using it, I put 20 liters or so into it and my app shows I have still 23 liters in the tank.

My petrol tank is unpressurised, I imagine your petrol would keep longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It is not really what I have asked for but to answer your question, BEV is still beyond my reach in terms of price, but thanks for advice :D

I looked up the price for the Passat, so I'm not sure why you think BEV is beyond you.

JPA wrote: »
    I looked up the price for the Passat, so I'm not sure why you think BEV is beyond you.

Why are you trying to impose something on someone?

I asked a simple question: how long is too long. I am not interested in BEV because it does not suit my lifestyle. It's beyond my reach at the moment too. The car I bought is used, not new so please show me where I can get a car for the same price with at least 300 miles of range? I'm not interested in Zoe, Leaf or an i3 or any other sort of small BEV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I asked a simple question: how long is too long. I am not interested in BEV because it does not suit my lifestyle. It's beyond my reach at the moment too. The car I bought is used, not new so please show me where I can get a car for the same price with at least 300 miles of range? I'm not interested in Zoe, Leaf or an i3 or any other sort of small BEV.

The simple answer is a few months at best. Once a month just go a for a quick spin in petrol mode. Or a quick motor way spin. Just to get the ice firing up and turning it’s parts etc

The reason the poster above mentioned EV is because you seem to suit the use.
    when did you fill up with petrol?
    If you haven’t used a drop then your driving habits would suit an EV. What’s the 300 mile range relevance when you don’t need it for the hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You need 300 miles but can't use the petrol you have?

JPA wrote: »
    You need 300 miles but can't use the petrol you have?

I don't need 300 miles of range today but I might need it tomorrow and it's something that any of the BEVs that I have mentioned above do not have thus I said I am not interested in small BEV. Hybrid appeals to me because pre covid I used to do way more motorway miles, not so much now.

Gumbo wrote: »
    The simple answer is a few months at best. Once a month just go a for a quick spin in petrol mode. Or a quick motor way spin. Just to get the ice firing up and turning it’s parts etc

The reason the poster above mentioned EV is because you seem to suit the use.
    when did you fill up with petrol?
    If you haven’t used a drop then your driving habits would suit an EV. What’s the 300 mile range relevance when you don’t need it for the hybrid?

Fueled up the end of October but didn't expect the car to be as "economical" compared to my last car. I am going to charge the battery via the engine and see how it goes. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

.... how long can I keep the fuel in the tank before it becomes bad to a point that I will have to pump it out and clean the fuel system etc?...

A similar topic is often raised with lawn mowers !

With lawn mowers ( Honda, Briggs etc engines ) the usual advice is to use a 'Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser' if the fuel is not going to be used within 3 months of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

I might be slightly off topic, but I had petrol ( 2 stroke mix ) in a chainsaw which was mixed last Christmas and it started and ran fine last weekend.

3d4life wrote: »
    A similar topic is often raised with lawn mowers !

With lawn mowers ( Honda, Briggs etc engines ) the usual advice is to use a 'Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser' if the fuel is not going to be used within 3 months of purchase.

Ok thank you. It's very informative, never would have thought of a stabilizer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aeromac

The car has been designed as a PHEV, this has been thought of.
    Don't add anything to the fuel.
    The tank is pressurised, if the cap isn't open for a while (12mths) the car automatically burns off the existing fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you're worried, just use a fuel stabiliser.

I use Stabil in my Harley (carb) and in my ATV (fuel injected) and in all my petrol powered tools.

Will keep fuel fresh for well over a year.

Be sure to use the one for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Generally speaking, petrol has a shelf-life of six months if stored in a sealed container at 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I once owned a classic car that sat in my garage for a couple of years with only a small amount of petrol on the tank. I had no issues (except for having to recharge the battery).

Advertisement