Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic wardens at traffic lights?

Options
  • 04-11-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why there are traffic wardens posted to stop traffic at actual traffic lights / pedestrian crossings around Galway city?

There is one a Nile Lodge who stands about 10 feet away from a traffic light at the junction and I saw another one at the junction at Mr Price in Westside who stands at the actual traffic lights. I was at the lights which were red and this person walked out in front of my car with her pole and allowed a kid to cross in front of me. I could understand this if it were a dangerous road and she had to stop traffic but I was stopped anyway and the pedestrian crossing light was green.

The lady at Nile Lodge stops traffic when the vehicle lights are green (which is a short window) and lets kids, parents, general population cross the road if they have missed the green pedestrian crossing window.

I just dont understand the thinking behind this. The traffic lights have a dedicated pedestrian mode, why do they need a traffic warden? It is very frustrating when they hold you up on a green light and you then have to sit through another cycle of the traffic lights.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Can anyone explain why there are traffic wardens posted to stop traffic at actual traffic lights / pedestrian crossings around Galway city?

There is one a Nile Lodge who stands about 10 feet away from a traffic light at the junction and I saw another one at the junction at Mr Price in Westside who stands at the actual traffic lights. I was at the lights which were red and this person walked out in front of my car with her pole and allowed a kid to cross in front of me. I could understand this if it were a dangerous road and she had to stop traffic but I was stopped anyway and the pedestrian crossing light was green.

The lady at Nile Lodge stops traffic when the vehicle lights are green (which is a short window) and lets kids, parents, general population cross the road if they have missed the green pedestrian crossing window.

I just dont understand the thinking behind this. The traffic lights have a dedicated pedestrian mode, why do they need a traffic warden? It is very frustrating when they hold you up on a green light and you then have to sit through another cycle of the traffic lights.

Red light running is endemic in Ireland.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭thesandeman

They're school wardens not traffic wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

They are just school traffic wardens.they only be out at lights beside schools before and after school for about 15 mins each time to ensure kids cross safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

School kids are apparently too thick to be trained to use traffic lights.

No wonder they run reds when they graduate to bicycles and then cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

That didn’t take long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

They're school wardens not traffic wardens.

The one at Nile Lodge allows people (not just school kids) to cross onto the Crescent. The nearest school on this side of the road is the Jez which is a good distance away. There are loads of kids crossing the other junctions going to St Marys and a primary school on the corner. Do these kids not deserve protecting?

howyanow wrote: »
    They are just school traffic wardens.they only be out at lights beside schools before and after school for about 15 mins each time to ensure kids cross safely.

I dont know where the school is beside Mr Price and I was there at 2.20pm.

I am not complaining about using school traffic wardens, there is one on Taylors Hill Road who provides a very valuable service at a dangerous point on the road. Having them at traffic lights is just ridiculous.

What a bizarre statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 failover

I walk my daughter to Gael Scoil Mhic Amhlaigh every morning. Thank God there's a traffic warden there because the amount of drivers who completely disregard the pedestrian crossings is amazing, even at times when kids are clearly entering/exiting the school grounds. Just yesterday morning, the warden literally had to shout at some woman who drove her suv straight through the crossing as kids were about to cross. Parents also continuously park on the zig-zag lines approaching the crossing despite being told by the school not to do this as it blocks visibility of the crossing. Drivers overall simply cannot be trusted to obey the rules of the road. The traffic warden there does an excellent job of ensuring the kids can cross safely and that cars are not obstructing the view of the crossing.

• Advertisement

What a bizarre statement.

Perhaps your sarcasm-detector needs servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Perhaps you need to read the room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

The Warden on the Dublin Road at the Hopice is fantastic.
    She has to put up with traffic regularly breaking the lights or stopping on the crossing. All while remaining lovely and good humoured with the kids.

failover wrote: »
    I walk my daughter to Gael Scoil Mhic Amhlaigh every morning. Thank God there's a traffic warden there because the amount of drivers who completely disregard the pedestrian crossings is amazing, even at times when kids are clearly entering/exiting the school grounds. Just yesterday morning, the warden literally had to shout at some woman who drove her suv straight through the crossing as kids were about to cross. Parents also continuously park on the zig-zag lines approaching the crossing despite being told by the school not to do this as it blocks visibility of the crossing. Drivers overall simply cannot be trusted to obey the rules of the road. The traffic warden there does an excellent job of ensuring the kids can cross safely and that cars are not obstructing the view of the crossing.

There are no traffic lights at that location. I am not against traffic wardens, I just don't understand why they are posted at traffic lights.

beans wrote: »
    She has to put up with traffic regularly breaking the lights or stopping on the crossing. All while remaining lovely and good humoured with the kids.

I can agree with the explanation that they are there because of bad drivers however I have been stopped at Green lights while they let normal pedestrians across.

There are no traffic lights at that location. I am not against traffic wardens, I just don't understand why they are posted at traffic lights.

The point I am making is that, whether or not there are traffic lights or if it's a pedestrian crossing (which cars are meant to stop at), they often don't and that's not a risk we want to take at times when there are lots of school kids. Just because a light is red does not mean a driver will always stop. They don't always stop at pedestrian crossings, as I mentioned. Wardens really help ensure they do stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭thesandeman

beans wrote: »

I remember my 'lollipop lady' being hit by a car at St Brendan's almost fifty years ago. She survived but was out of work for nearly a year.

ratracer wrote: »
    That didn’t take long

Cyclists are the Godwin's Law of traffic threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I can agree with the explanation that they are there because of bad drivers however I have been stopped at Green lights while they let normal pedestrians across.
    That's the whole point..... Would you have stopped and let the young children cross if they weren't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

They might be better to put cameras at the crossings and prosecute all offenders.

• Advertisement

Or perhaps you were actually serious and now you're embarrassed at your ludicrous statement.

That's the whole point..... Would you have stopped and let the young children cross if they weren't there?

Thank you! It's just amazing that some drivers feel hard done by by being made stop at a green light to let vulnerable pedestrians cross the road. A pedestrian should ALWAYS have precedence over a driver. If a traffic/school warden makes you stop then just stop!! There's no more about it! It doesn't matter where it is, what kind of junction it is, or who is crossing the road. It's the "poor drivers" attitude that will end up running these junctions and injuring someone out of frustration and self-righteousness. I fully agree that there should be cameras on these junctions to monitor these drivers who feel as if they are victims of having to obey the law.

Yes because it is at a traffic light!

If they are there for the single purpose of letting school children cross the road they should not take advantage of their position and stop traffic to allow adults to cross.

A pedestrian should ALWAYS have precedence over a driver. .

That is a ridiculous statement.

Nobody wants to injure a pedestrian but it is up to the pedestrian to ensure they exercise sufficient caution when crossing roads to ensure their own safety. You cannot place responsibility for your own life on another person. Obviously there are so many **** drivers out there that the roads are dangerous but there are so many stupid pedestrians on the paths that they are also a danger to drivers and other pedestrians.

I drive along Taylors Hill road every morning and I cant count the number of times that primary school kids who are walking with their parents have stepped onto the road and made me break sharply.

I remember when I was in Poland.
    Pedestrians and cyclists are treated with respect.

As a pedestrian approaches a pedestrian crossing, drivers automatically come to a halt before the pedestrian sets foot on the crossing. Even ones without lights.

Two chances of that here.

That is a ridiculous statement.

Nobody wants to injure a pedestrian but it is up to the pedestrian to ensure they exercise sufficient caution when crossing roads to ensure their own safety. You cannot place responsibility for your own life on another person. Obviously there are so many **** drivers out there that the roads are dangerous but there are so many stupid pedestrians on the paths that they are also a danger to drivers and other pedestrians.

I drive along Taylors Hill road every morning and I cant count the number of times that primary school kids who are walking with their parents have stepped onto the road and made me break sharply.

A"good" driver will always anticipate children/animals ending up out on the road for whatever reason. If you need to brake sharply then you are driving too fast for the environment you are in. Also, read the Citizen's Information regarding School Traffic Wardens while you are at it. They have the same power as gardai to stop traffic if they see fit. Get over yourself, feeling so put out by having to stop when told to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I remember when I was in Poland.
    Pedestrians and cyclists are treated with respect.

As a pedestrian approaches a pedestrian crossing, drivers automatically come to a halt before the pedestrian sets foot on the crossing. Even ones without lights.

Two chances of that here.

Thats probably because the road laws are properly enforced by police who take their jobs seriously.

Here our Gardai are amateurish in their 'policing' of minor matters and simply aren't proactive enough

A pedestrian should ALWAYS have precedence over a driver.

Nope.

When my brother was about 12 he has to cross a busy road. It had a painted pedestrian crossing which worked well. Then the kids on his bus figured it would be good craic to walk about 2m apart, so as one stepped off the crossing, the next stepped on. It was a game for them but impacted traffic miles down the road. Eventually the council put in lights so everyone got a fair share of having priority.

No mode is more important than any other.

Nope.

When my brother was about 12 he has to cross a busy road. It had a painted pedestrian crossing which worked well. Then the kids on his bus figured it would be good craic to walk about 2m apart, so as one stepped off the crossing, the next stepped on. It was a game for them but impacted traffic miles down the road. Eventually the council put in lights so everyone got a fair share of having priority.

From a safety point of view, in terms of a potential impact by a car on a pedestrian, the pedestrian should always be the priority, not the car.

• Advertisement

Nope.

You sound like a female version of Srameen.

You always have to be contrary to what people are saying just for the sake of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement