Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEAI DBER exam

• 02-11-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Looking into doing the SEAI DBER exam for the first time in January. Has anyone any advice on preparing for it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

This is the type of question that is really tripping me up:

Consider a detached house with the following specification:
    Fabric insulation: average fabric U-value 0.22 W/m2K, thermal bridging factor y = 0.08 W/m2K; Windows: triple-glazed with low-emissivity coating and argon fill, Air permeability: 3 m3/(h.m2) @ 50 Pa Heating 90% efficient gas-fired condensing boiler controlled by a boiler energy manager: no secondary heating Ventilation: MVHR Renewables: 3m2 of south-facing evacuated tube solar panel (30° tilt) What is the most likely BER primary energy usage?

a)25 kWh/m2y
    b)75 kWh/m2y
    c)120 kWh/m2y
    d)150 kWh/m2y

This is the type of question that is really tripping me up:

Consider a detached house with the following specification:
    Fabric insulation: average fabric U-value 0.22 W/m2K, thermal bridging factor y = 0.08 W/m2K; Windows: triple-glazed with low-emissivity coating and argon fill, Air permeability: 3 m3/(h.m2) @ 50 Pa Heating 90% efficient gas-fired condensing boiler controlled by a boiler energy manager: no secondary heating Ventilation: MVHR Renewables: 3m2 of south-facing evacuated tube solar panel (30° tilt) What is the most likely BER primary energy usage?

a)25 kWh/m2y
    b)75 kWh/m2y
    c)120 kWh/m2y
    d)150 kWh/m2y

consider what ratings those values equate to

25 = A1
    75 = A3
    120 = B2
    150 = C1

MHRV, decent air tightness, solar tubes, triple glazing, condensing boiler and 2011 standard fabric u values

i think A3 is the most likely rating, therefore the answer is 75 kWh/m2y

question like these comes come to knowledge of the building regs and experience in carry out assessments.

How to tackle this type? More so where to look for the answer?

1 Kg of Wood pellets manufactured to European standard CEN TS 14961 would typically contain how much energy?

~4.8kWh
    ~14.8kWh
    ~44.8kWh
    ~144.8kWh

The help is much appreciated, sorry about the questions.

where did you get that question?

during the exam you will get access to documents such as the applicable TGD L, The DEAP manual, the technical bulletins, the EPBD and SI legislations... and perhaps some more that i cant recall right now.

The vast majority of answers to the questions will be available in the documents provided, you just have to know where to look.
    some questions will be based on your existing knowledge, uch as a picture and you have to identify it etc

the answer to the question above is 4.8kWh... but only because i know how much energy different moisture levels of wood contain (rule of thumb 1 to 2 for wet, 1 to 4 for dry), ive no idea how to find that in the DEAP manual or in a TGD L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Biker1

This link will give you the kWhr for all fuels. https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf .
    That is the type of question that has no relevance to carrying out an assessment but could cause you to fail the exam. There are many more questions that could be interpreted incorrectly.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    where did you get that question?

during the exam you will get access to documents such as the applicable TGD L, The DEAP manual, the technical bulletins, the EPBD and SI legislations... and perhaps some more that i cant recall right now.

The vast majority of answers to the questions will be available in the documents provided, you just have to know where to look.
    some questions will be based on your existing knowledge, uch as a picture and you have to identify it etc

the answer to the question above is 4.8kWh... but only because i know how much energy different moisture levels of wood contain (rule of thumb 1 to 2 for wet, 1 to 4 for dry), ive no idea how to find that in the DEAP manual or in a TGD L

I came from an old BER Association sample exam paper.

I'm told that there is a bank of 500 questions used by seai. I have 3 old papers. Are they available online anywhere?

ive no idea... maybe someone within the BER association might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Biker1

The simple answer is no.
    SEAI don't believe we should have access to the questions outside the exam setting.!!!

• Advertisement

Biker1 wrote: »
    The simple answer is no.
    SEAI don't believe we should have access to the questions outside the exam setting.!!!

and they dont believe we should have access to the answers either :D

i find it highly ridiculous that they give us an exam, give us the result, but never inform us of the questions that we got incorrect... and thus continue to get incorrect

Biker1 wrote: »
    The simple answer is no.

Some of the questions are answered based on knowledge from experience. So basically going into it for the first time like myself I have already lost at least 2%? that could be the diff between pass/fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭picorette

and they dont believe we should have access to the answers either :D

i find it highly ridiculous that they give us an exam, give us the result, but never inform us of the questions that we got incorrect... and thus continue to get incorrect

Agreed ! I suppose it is because they don't want the questions leaving the exam centre, but it is very frustrating to just be told marks, without any feedback

I am trying to find available dates/locations to book the exam. Have searched SEAI and Prometric websites, can someone please post a link?

from seai
    Dear Assessor,

SEAI are aware of current capacity issues within Prometric Exam Centres. Please be assured that the registration of and/or publishing abilities of any BER assessors will not be impacted by their inability to secure a seat in their preferred exam centre.

At this time, SEAI ask that if you have an exam renewal date due in 2021 and have not yet booked your exam that you refrain from doing so in order to facilitate SEAI’s review of the current situation.

Please note that due to current Level 5 restrictions, Prometric’s exam centres will remain closed between the 21st of October and 1st of December 2020. If you have an exam seat booked within this time frame and have not yet cancelled or rescheduled your exam date, please do so as soon as possible to avoid cancellation fees.
    There is currently no charge to reschedule your exam.

For additional support, please call 042 682 5678 or email seaitest@prometric.com

Further updates will be provided to all BER assessors in due course.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to call the helpdesk.
    Kind regards,

BER Helpdesk

from seai

This is exactly what I thought the situation was. It's no help to someone trying to take the exam for the first time.

This is exactly what I thought the situation was. It's no help to someone trying to take the exam for the first time.

ring the number and see how quickly you can get on the list for when things reopen

ring the number and see how quickly you can get on the list for when things reopen

Did that, April.

Did that, April.

we're in second lockdown now.. november

we're in second lockdown now.. november

No, next April

• Advertisement

No, next April

jesus !!

thats some backlog!!

jesus !!

thats some backlog!!

Are prometric even carrying out exams during lockdown?

Are prometric even carrying out exams during lockdown?

not according to that email i posted above

They told me on Friday that dates were on their website and to keep checking. It's not much use to me. I can't upload surveys.

They told me on Friday that dates were on their website and to keep checking. It's not much use to me. I can't upload surveys.

are you already a registered assessor ??

or are you looking to do the test for the first time in order to become registered?

are you already a registered assessor ??

or are you looking to do the test for the first time in order to become registered?

Looking to get registered for the first time.

Looking to get registered for the first time.

then why are you trying to upload surveys??

then why are you trying to upload surveys??

I am not trying to upload at this time, its for after the exam. If I cannot get an exam before April it means no work before April. The job is there for when I pass the exam.

New dates up online this morning. Booked for mid January.

• Advertisement

From what I heard today the DBER assessor exams have been abolished. Is this correct?

Advertisement