Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi & alcohol

• 01-11-2020 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Was in my local aldi today around 2. They weren’t selling alcohol. Aisle was blocked off. It’s not essential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

What time?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tamara25 wrote: »
    Was in my local aldi today around 2. They weren’t selling alcohol. Aisle was blocked off. It’s not essential?

I was in my local Aldi around 1pm and off-licence was open .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

What time were you there- no alcohol before 12.30 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OP has said around 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's normal to see drink aisles closed on a Sunday up to 12.30 due to licensing laws.
    Maybe someone forgot to open it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Could have forgotten to put her watch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭bmc58

Cork Lass wrote: »
    What time were you there- no alcohol before 12.30 on Sunday.

That's always the case in Ireland,suppose due to our catholic upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

I noticed in a few aldi's of late that they have alcohol section with a barrier type thing that you push through to enter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

who buys alcohol Sunday morning

you have work monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

When has alcohol ever been essential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Most likely forgot to open it up, although an hour and a half is quite a length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    who buys alcohol Sunday morning

you have work monday

Little bit of a generalisation there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who doesn't buy booze of a Sunday.

I'd have (hic, hic) asked a staff member why it was closed provided it was after the Catholic Matt Talbot induced Sunday opening hours for selling alcohol. In fact I would have DEMANDED that they select their best Merlot for me as a punishment. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Who doesn't buy booze of a Sunday.
    I'd have (hic, hic) asked a staff member why it was closed provided it was after the Catholic Matt Talbot induced Sunday opening hours for selling alcohol. In fact I would have DEMANDED that they select their best Merlot for me as a punishment. LOL.

You should have demanded a Chateau Talbot!

Seems like an oversight in this store, lots of people on the whiskey thread who bought their specials today.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

who buys alcohol Sunday morning you have to work monday

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well, you can have a glass of wine with dinner or a nightcap without getting a hangover.
    And some people don't have to work mondays.

And other people were in picking up one of their special whiskeys that dropped today.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: No need to post twice. No one is here to be judged either. Please read the forum charter before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You should have demanded a Chateau Talbot!

Seems like an oversight in this store, lots of people on the whiskey thread who bought their specials today.

LOL. Just short staffed or an oversight I reckon too.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I noticed in a few aldi's of late that they have alcohol section with a barrier type thing that you push through to enter.
    Mandatory in all supermarkets from 11th January 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

Barriers were up in aisle so I presumed it was shut off?? Should have asked staff member

• Advertisement

tamara25 wrote: »
    Barriers were up in aisle so I presumed it was shut off?? Should have asked staff member
    They are swing-shut barriers so will always be closed unless someone is passing through them. You just have to push through them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have them as standard here up north. Don't worry, they'll break and end up being stuck open in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

irish_goat wrote: »
    Have them as standard here up north. Don't worry, they'll break and end up being stuck open in no time.

They remind me of the swing doors in an old wild west saloon.

Well done to the neo prohibitionists they have got a result installing something that makes me think of drink and debauchery.

Yee ha set em up Joe :)

Quackster wrote: »
    Mandatory in all supermarkets from 11th January 2021.

12th of November is what I've heard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's right: Section 22 of the Act says it kicks in two years after commencement. Commencement was in SI 448 of 2018, dated 12th November 2018. All hail the beer burqa.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's right: Section 22 of the Act says it kicks in two years after commencement. Commencement was in SI 448 of 2018, dated 12th November 2018. All hail the beer burqa.
    Apologies, was getting mixed up with SI 4 of 2020 which comes into effect on 12th January 2021.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going to be a lot of extremely shonky things thrown together in two weeks

One of the suggested presentations in an official document was a fully enclosed box, emblazoned with 'beer cave' and some awful 00s idea of cool / 'sexy' graphics. Which I suspect makes drinking more attractive to teenagers than a shelf of bottles ever did

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    When has alcohol ever been essential?

Are you just buying bread and water when you shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Quackster wrote: »
    They are swing-shut barriers so will always be closed unless someone is passing through them. You just have to push through them.

This.

I shop every Monday and my local Aldi suddenly had saloon doors you push through into the alcohol section today.

OP probably saw the doors for the first time and presumed the section was shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard a cashier in dunnes told somebody that in Nov. they would stop accepting alcohol with the tenner off a spend of 50 coupons. Maybe they were getting it mixed up with this law.

My tesco has the doors too, it does look closed off.

Advertisement