Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sub/Phillips perfect draft?

• 24-10-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I am after a nice gift for my brother/business partner and came across both home dispensers.
    Can anyone recommend one over the other?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't. You're committing the recipient to buying proprietary refills which may be expensive, or impossible, to get. It's not a good gift idea, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

javagal wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am after a nice gift for my brother/business partner and came across both home dispensers.
    Can anyone recommend one over the other?

TIA

I would go for the Philips Perfect Draft. Kegs are bigger and can be purchased in Ireland from www.thebeergals.com

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aSce7yRk0
    few of them compared here in an honest test.. id avoid all of them. gimmicky and ties you into a big outlay for refills even after the huge cost of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aSce7yRk0
    few of them compared here in an honest test.. id avoid all of them. gimmicky and ties you into a big outlay for refills even after the huge cost of the unit.

Can't get the Blade in Ireland.
    Prefect Draft is the way forward. You get €5 back each empty keg you return. Nothing gimmicky about it. Stella on tap at the perfect temperature, can't be beaten. I got my Perfect Draft from the UK with a keg for €260. Wouldn't call that a huge cost.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Think I'd agree with the Beer Nut on this. I'd personally not want one and would only gift one if I knew the customer wanted it and/or they mainly stick to drinking the same brand of beer when at home.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Think I'd agree with the Beer Nut on this. I'd personally not want one and would only gift one if I knew the customer wanted it and/or they mainly stick to drinking the same brand of beer when at home.

No one is agreeing or disagreeing. I'm merely providing her with the answer to her question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No one is agreeing or disagreeing. I'm merely providing her with the answer to her question.

Not arguing with your advice at all, just commenting on the gift itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stella on tap at the perfect temperature, can't be beaten.

I'm not trying to be smart, here but how is this different from a can of perfectly chilled Stella, freshly poured? I just can't see what the difference would be.
    I don't think those units introduce gas, do they?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stella on tap at the perfect temperature
    That's the other thing: the system is co-owned by Philips and AB InBev, so there isn't much available for it that isn't brewed by AB InBev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I'm not trying to be smart, here but how is this different from a can of perfectly chilled Stella, freshly poured? I just can't see what the difference would be.
    I don't think those units introduce gas, do they?

hey beer revolu, it's a great little machine. The pints are great, cold and creamy, and with the correct glass keeps the head.

I'm no beer snob and have spent the last few years drinking Peroni. I haven't touched stella in years but was pleasantly surprised at the taste from the machine.

That said, it's expensive, the kegs are expensive, and I'd say the chances of getting further beer hawk kegs from the U.K. are slim. So that leaves one, albeit great, Irish supplier.

I wouldn't be buying one as a gift for someone else.

Tinner777

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 caileen

Can't get the Blade in Ireland.
    Prefect Draft is the way forward. You get €5 back each empty keg you return. Nothing gimmicky about it. Stella on tap at the perfect temperature, can't be beaten. I got my Perfect Draft from the UK with a keg for €260. Wouldn't call that a huge cost.

Hi, I'm looking at getting one as I know my husband would love one. They perfect draft seems to be completely sold out from the uk. Where did you purchase yours please? I can get one from Germany but not sure about the plug on it. Was yours 3 pin? Any help would be really helpful ðŸ˜႒ thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I received one of these as a gift over five years ago. It's still in its packaging. No kegs available in Ireland, no tube connectors (from the keg to the tap) available.

They are a novelty, the one I have uses the Heineken 5l kegs and is refrigerated. No gas introduced, it's just a fancy-pants way of serving the keg and keeps it cool. When I did use it (living abroad at the time, kegs and accessories were widely available, weather was good) it was really only used for outdoor parties where there was a good flow and the keg would be finished in one setting.

It's an awful waste of money, to be honest, unless you can get the kegs and any associated accessories (if they are needed).

Advertisement