Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda elective section

Options
  • 31-10-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering if anybody has had an elective section in the rotunda since covid restrictions came into play? Just looking for some pearls of wisdom

My background is I’m scheduled for one on Nov 9th, second pregnancy but first section. I was told I’ll get a call the day before ( a Sunday?) with a time to come in(morning or afternoon) and when to fast from which is fine. I’m just curious if you were brought in the morning were you long waiting to go down, I know it depends on the day and what emergencies they have I’m just looking for a rough idea i.e. should my OH go home if theres a long wait likely, will I be given enough notice to call him back in? etc. Also wondering how long you were kept in afterwards? I was told standard was three days but then heard since covid they're trying for 48 hours if alls well (which would be great for me if I’m honest)

My SIL had one in Feb but was brought in first thing and didn't go down until 5pmish, this was before covid though and my bro could stay all day with her, I got the impression anybody having an elective at that time were all brought in at the same time and then they just went down through the list so just curious if its the same now or what to expect. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

SIL had one recently. Was brought in day before for a covid test. Once the results were negative she was told to be in the hospital at 7.30am next day. She didn't go to theatre till near 3pm as they prioritise emergencies and private patients first. Husband was allowed in after she was prepped for theatre and allowed to stay for approx 1.5 hours after. She was allowed home after 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Frankie19 wrote: »
    SIL had one recently. Was brought in day before for a covid test. Once the results were negative she was told to be in the hospital at 7.30am next day. She didn't go to theatre till near 3pm as they prioritise emergencies and private patients first. Husband was allowed in after she was prepped for theatre and allowed to stay for approx 1.5 hours after. She was allowed home after 3 days

Thanks Frankie, sounds like a long wait time will be inevitable, hopefully they’ll give me a better idea on the day, might just send the OH home though since nowhere will be open for him to go really, toddler at home too so don't want to leave him without mammy and daddy any longer than required.

If you don't live too far from the hospital id say you would be ok although you just never know on the day . It could be a quiet day for emergency c sections e.t.c so be prepared to be called at any time. Its a pain waiting around. If your husband isn't there they could just go to the next person on the list untill he arrives maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Just an update for anybody curious, had my elective section on Monday the 9th, covid test prior on the friday. Was told to be in the hosp for 9am and when I arrived was not given any indication of time but was called down to theatre at half 10 despite being told there was a long list that day. Entire process was very seamless and over the few days I spent there I saw others come in and they weren't waiting long either, in fact one girl walked onto the ward and was being shown her bed area when she was called. Overall a very professional and caring experience and I was very pleased with how it all went

Congratulations. Glad it all went well for you. Enjoy the newborn snuggles!

• Advertisement
Advertisement