Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

• 31-10-2020 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Mod Note:
    This thread is only for discussing the 2020 Football Championship. It's not to be used to discuss Dublin's dominance of the football championship or any changes in the GAA as a result. There are two threads for these topics:
    Changes in the GAA
    The Dominance of Dublin GAA

Also please ensure you read the charter before posting. Specifically the part about abuse and trolling. Abuse of other posters, players (regardless of what they do or have done), managers, referees etc. is not permitted and will be sanctioned. Abuse of players includes, but is not limited to, terms like thug, scum(bag), dirtbag, rat etc. So if you engage in abuse of anyone before, during or after the match and get sanctioned, you have absolutely no excuse.

Please report any posts that cross the line and a mod will get to it in time. This thread is generally exceptionally busy during the game and mods are generally watching it so it may take a while to action some posts.

Starts today and no thread yet !

Anyway as we know it's provincial straight knockout, then two semifinals and a final.

So how will it shape up ?

Leinster
    Dublin will win easy enough, Meath and Kildare will judge themselves on how they preform v each other and the winner v Dublin.

Munster
    Cork play Kerry in a semifinal.
    Now there was a bit of talk of Cork catching Kerry cold, but I don't think that will happen.
    Kerry in their last two league games have shown that they will leave nothing to chance.

Ulster
    One of Donegal or Tyrone will be out by Sunday night.
    Monaghan are the other side of the draw and likely to make the final.

Connacht
    A bit like Ulster it's probably a three hours race between Roscommon, Mayo and Galway.
    The latter were doing great pre COVID but have been really on the back foot since the restart.
    They play Sligo in a SF so a good chance of at least the final.
    The other two likely meet in a SF and that will be tight.

Overall I think it will be
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Donegal
    Mayo.

In the SF it's Leinster v Ulster and Connacht v Munster.

If Dublin have any 5 in a row hangover, or are struggling with a new manager and s few players gone then we will only see it at that stage.

A Kerry v Mayo SF could be fun, they have gone toe to toe more than once in the last number of years.
    I think Mayo could struggle at the back with Kerry's firepower.

So in the heel of the hunt it will be. Dublin v Mayo final with Mayo winning it :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Starts today and no thread yet !

Anyway as we know it's provincial straight knockout, then two semifinals and a final.

So how will it shape up ?

Leinster
    Dublin will win easy enough, Meath and Kildare will judge themselves on how they preform v each other and the winner v Dublin.

Munster
    Cork play Kerry in a semifinal.
    Now there was a bit of talk of Cork catching Kerry cold, but I don't think that will happen.
    Kerry in their last two league games have shown that they will leave nothing to chance.

Ulster
    One of Donegal or Tyrone will be out by Sunday night.
    Monaghan are the other side of the draw and likely to make the final.

Connacht
    A bit like Ulster it's probably a three hours race between Roscommon, Mayo and Galway.
    The latter were doing great pre COVID but have been really on the back foot since the restart.
    They play Sligo in a SF so a good chance of at least the final.
    The other two likely meet in a SF and that will be tight.

Overall I think it will be
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Donegal
    Mayo.

In the SF it's Leinster v Ulster and Connacht v Munster.

If Dublin have any 5 in a row hangover, or are struggling with a new manager and s few players gone then we will only see it at that stage.

A Kerry v Mayo SF could be fun, they have gone toe to toe more than once in the last number of years.
    I think Mayo could struggle at the back with Kerry's firepower.

So in the heel of the hunt it will be. Dublin v Mayo final with Mayo winning it :).

As much as I don;t want to lose an AIF, never mind not being able to attend one that Dubin are in, I would be very content with that outcome.

I think Kerry's handy run to a final will be probably the way it'll go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ulster Donegal
    Connacht Mayo
    Leinster Dublin
    Munster Kerry

Ulster is a straight shoot out between Donegal and Tyrone.

Any of Mayo Roscommon and Galway can triumph in the west.Very wary of a Roscommon team on the up,Galway are ravaged with injuries and their Covid 19 form is a big dip on that pre this pandemic.

Although we went down last week I am impressed with the talent coming through so if we can shore things up defensively I give our boys a hesitant vote.

Lots of talk Cork will put it up to Kerry,may well be the case but Kerry still have that bit too much.

Leinster final will likely see Dublin v Meath/Kildare.I think it will be Meath.

Meath are not that far off a renaissance.The final will be tight and Meath's time is acoming in Leinster but not this year.

Kerry v Dublin All Ireland Final

I think Kerry might shade it.

It is so hard to know with Dublin.They are'nt playing well yet are grinding out the results.

IMO Kerry's pathway to the All Ireland final is no less challenging than that of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As much as I don;t want to lose an AIF, never mind not being able to attend one that Dubin are in, I would be very content with that outcome.

I think Kerry's handy run to a final will be probably the way it'll go though.

It's kinda like this.
    If your team win the All Ireland then great, it's as valid as any pre 2001 All Ireland.
    Some would argue that the format is even more pure than post 2001.

But if someone else win it then it gets a great big * because of COVID.

It's kinda like this.
    If your team win the All Ireland then great, it's as valid as any pre 2001 All Ireland.

Agree to an extent,it's pure knockout and a much less taxing route to an All Ireland with no back door nor super 8s.

The asterisk should only come into play if Covid 19 infections materially effects the championship matches.

It's kinda like this.

Not really. I think every Kerry All Ireland victory should have a * attached.

People who think this is "more pure" than any post-2001 AI are the sort who miss hit and hope high fielding nonsense as well. Those people can be discounted.

This was such a missed opportunity to just throw us all into a hat and play it out over 5 weeks. Ah well.

For all of our sakes I am praying for a Mayo victory at the very least.

• Advertisement

I’d like to see a Kerry or Tyrone win this year, Mayo hopefully still have another 50 or so years to wait.

That glorious final from last year is on now as the amuse bouche to Cavan Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As much as I'd give anything to see Mayo finally win it, our biggest problem is on the sideline and will be our undoing against Kerry.

Dublin will win it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

As much as I'd give anything to see Mayo finally win it, our biggest problem is on the sideline and will be our undoing against Kerry.

Dublin will win it outright.

You're thinking way too many steps ahead there my friend.
    Mayo are taking a bit of a risk with 7 debutants against Leitrim imo.I have full trust in Horan but we need to take it one step at a time.
    Mayo have a harder run than anybody to a potential final.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Mayo are taking a bit of a risk with 7 debutants against Leitrim imo.I have full trust in Horan but we need to take it one step at a time.

I know I'm in the minority, but I disagree. I don't think Leitrim or Ros will be much of a problem at all.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »

James Horan has his weaknesses like any manager.

His philosophy is most definitely to play on the front foot,we will score more than you.

Same can leave you exposed defensively against the very top teams.

His weaknesses on the line against Dublin in 2013 and Kerry in 2014.

Focus was put on his inability to play a sweeper last Sunday when playing into a gale and leaving Aidan O Shea inside in that first half.The neverending debate on where to play him.

Our last line will definitely be targeted irrespective of who is wearing the jersey.

Hope he's at home laughing at this keyboard warrior who would'nt fit to wear his cap.:D

Tell that to Donegal or Tyrone.Admittedly we face a very onerous task.Roscommon are now a real and present danger.If we get over that our reward is a trip to a wind swept Salthill with a Galway team motivated by that league reversal.

TBH I think we have a gap to close to the Kerrys and Dublins of this world.

As a team in transition I would be very happy with a Connacht title and a decent performance in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

seligehgit wrote: »

His philosophy is most definitely to play on the front foot,we will score more than you.

Focus was put on his inability to play a sweeper last Sunday when playing into a gale and leaving Aidan O Shea inside in that first half.The neverending debate on where to play him.

Our last line will definitely be targeted irrespective of who is wearing the jersey.

Hope he's at home laughing at this keyboard warrior who would'nt fit to wear his cap.:D

Tell that to Donegal or Tyrone.Admittedly we face a very onerous task.Roscommon are now a real and present danger.If we get over that our reward is a trip to a wind swept Salthill with a Galway team motivated by that league reversal.

As a team in transition I would be very happy with a Connacht title and a decent performance in Croke Park.

Yes,i think a Connacht win after a 5 year wait would be a great achievement this year with the team in transition and lots of exciting young guys coming through.

seligehgit wrote: »

I hardly think he's checking this out!

And we're off. Hon Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

And we're off. Hon Monaghan!

Both defences very porous. Good goal by cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The fake crowd noise is quite good

physioman wrote: »
    Both defences very porous. Good goal by cavan

That was a great goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Cavan will be absolutely blessed to get to half time still in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Lovely pass inside to set up that goal. Shocking defending mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Well that goal was coming.

Be interesting to seeing if Cavan can make any fist of things in the second half.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Cavan will be absolutely blessed to get to half time still in this game.

I think they're gone unless the wind helps them in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I know I'm in the minority, but I disagree. I don't think Leitrim or Ros will be much of a problem at all.

How did mayo do last year v Roscommon?
    Mayo are in 3rd place in Connacht the last few years

Cavan really looking like a team who got relegated in the 2nd quarter there. The wind might allow them pack the defence a bit more but I don't think it's going to be a big enough factor given how Monaghan are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Big goal from Monaghan there, as a 3 point lead is nothing with a wind like that. In fairness they should have already got a goal, they've cut through the Cavan defence a number of times. Monaghan look dangerous every time they run forward, they were a bit wasteful early but got more clinical as it went on. McManus is in that form where everything he touches seems to turn to gold, a joy to watch.

The wind should be a bit more of a leveller for the second half, but given Monaghan often run the ball through their hands, I still think they'll continue to create more chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Poor second half. Monaghan content to just play it around instead of try to get the few scores that would close the game out.
    Cavan back in it a bit now with a quick brace of points, but have been really poor apart from the first 10 minutes.

Hopefully a lively finish to make up for a desperate second half so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Two poor teams here, technically Cavan are still in it, but they've looked mostly clueless in the second half, restricted to long range efforts

Monaghan have only themselves to blame if they get caught here.
    They have hardly make any attempt at all to get a few scores in the second half.

Was the yellow for the dirty off the ball one in the build up to the last score? He’s lucky enough if it was.

Two poor teams here, technically Cavan are still in it, but they've looked mostly clueless in the second half, restricted to long range efforts

Yep, neither of them will be bothering any of the big teams anyway.

McManus has been very poor in this half. Shooting on sight with players in a better position.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Monaghan have only themselves to blame if they get caught here.
    They have hardly make any attempt at all to get a few scores in the second half.

Mad tactics by Monaghan given how open the Cavan defence were in the first half.

Fair play to Cavan for battling back in the 2nd half.

Advertisement