Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outpost [2020]

• 27-10-2020 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this? Only heard of it by chance on RottenTomatoes.

Quite similar to Black Hawk Down in that's it's a very technical film, it's incredibly intense and fees very authentic and realistic.

There's no cliché characters or silly story arcs, definitely fees like they did a very good job of making the soldiers and their scenario as realistic as possible.

I only realised around half way through the film that it's based on a superb book I read before called 'Red Platoon'

Won't try to say too much but the last 45 minutes or so are ridiculously intense, would match Saving Private Ryan in terms of intensity

If you're into military films without the Pro-America nonsense, then I would definitely recommend this

[/QUOTE]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭billyhead

siblers wrote: »

Quite similar to Black Hawk Down in that's it's a very technical film, it's incredibly intense and fees very authentic and realistic.

There's no cliché characters or silly story arcs, definitely fees like they did a very good job of making the soldiers and their scenario as realistic as possible.

I only realised around half way through the film that it's based on a superb book I read before called 'Red Platoon'

Won't try to say too much but the last 45 minutes or so are ridiculously intense, would match Saving Private Ryan in terms of intensity

If you're into military films without the Pro-America nonsense, then I would definitely recommend this

[/QUOTE]

Seen it already. It's well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was reasonably solid though I don't think I'd agree with putting it up there with Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down in terms of quality or intensity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm giving that a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's actually based on a book of the same name by Jake Tapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Homelander wrote: »
    Thought it was reasonably solid though I don't think I'd agree with putting it up there with Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down in terms of quality or intensity.

It doesn't have the scope, cast or budget to match them but I thought it did a very good job. How it comes across in the film is very similar to how its portrayed in the book

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's actually based on a book of the same name by Jake Tapper.

Will need to read that. A lot of what is mentioned in Red Platoon happens in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The books may be of the same incident alright. I follow Jake Tapper (the CNN guy) on twitter and he does a lot of work with veterans and I believe he was also involved in the movie considering he wrote the book. It's been well received anyway by those involved in the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

decent enough movie, there are a bunch of small bunch of soldiers doing something in Afghanistan movies, they are kinda fire and forget movies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    decent enough movie, there are a bunch of small bunch of soldiers doing something in Afghanistan movies, they are kinda fire and forget movies.

Most are. There's a superb British one called Kajaki (Kilo Two Bravo) which is also very good. Not seen two many others worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

[/QUOTE]

its funny how there are so many US/UK films about soldiers 1,000s miles of from their homes, but somehow being 'ambushed'. yeah its not pro-American nonsense it pro-imperialism nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

The movie is not as good as Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan , I would say it's solid, like the movie 13 Hours.
    And the war in Afghanistan is not “pro-imperialism”

The movie is not as good as Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan , I would say it's solid, like the movie 13 Hours.
    And the war in Afghanistan is not “pro-imperialism”
    the US has been there for nearly 20 years and funding militias for 20 years before that atleast.

nothing in the trailer suggest its not a pro-American film, its these poor boys just trying to help the locals and then getting surrounded and attacked, thats very much Pro-American. The movie may suggest that American government is treating those troops badly but 'pro-troop's is pro-American.

Presenting Americans as the underdogs is ridiculous.

the US has been there for nearly 20 years and funding militias for 20 years before that atleast.

nothing in the trailer suggest its not a pro-American film, its these boys just trying to help the locals and then getting surrounded and attacked, thats very much Pro-American.

There was a small little reason the US went in (9/11)
    The US stayed to long there.
    Thankfully President Trump is getting the US out, about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Most are. There's a superb British one called Kajaki (Kilo Two Bravo) which is also very good. Not seen two many others worth watching

I did see that though I'd be struggling to remember it now, I think its just a genre of movie that can only go so far. Yet I'd remember a movie like Behind Enemy Lines much better. Maybe its the fact that these Afghan movies have a very generic setting with generic NPC style baddies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There was a small little reason the US went in (9/11)
    The US has spent the last 20 years in Afghanisatan only finding and fighting the perpetrators of 9/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Watched this last night, odd movie that switches agendas around half way tru, when the assault starts (which isnt explained) on the base in a valley (which is stupid).

I didnt understand why the new captain dude was made to be the bad guy, he was different to the old captain dude but the old captain dude kinda made the attack?

Odd movie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I enjoyed it for what it was over the weekend.

Iffy jingoism aside, I thought it was a competent action flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

There was a small little reason the US went in (oil)
    Thankfully President Trump is getting the US out, about time.

Fixed yer post.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I never knew Tom Hanks's wife Rita Wilson was a singer till I shazamed who was singing the final song and it was her singing it.

It was also pretty cool the 3 of the soldiers played themselves in the movie.

Wailin wrote: »
    Fixed yer post.
    So you are saying it's because of the tiny amount of oil in Afghanistan.

And not 9/11

• Advertisement
Advertisement