Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wine to use for mulled wine

Options
  • 29-10-2020 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Lately I'm getting into mulled wine. I use the mulled wine sachets from one of the spices brands from the supermarket. The wine I used so far was a cabernet savignon wine. Its was OK. I found it very sharp and bitter. It wasn't my favourite. I don't if if that was to do with the dark brown sugar I used of if it was the wine. I think I used a different wine last year but I can't remember if it was a merlot or a shiraz. I would love to achieve a smooth and soft mulled wine. Any ideas for recipes and what wine to go for?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cheap shiraz from Tesco, LIDL, ALDI would be the goto cooking wine in our household for dishes like Beef bourguignon.
    It is usually cheaper than merlot and more robust, whereas cheap merlot can be a bit thin.
    Maybe cabernet sauvignon didn't work cos it would be higher in drying tannins.

LIDL and ALDI usually sell a mulled wine (Gluhwein) this time of year, might be worth trying for a relative comparison.

An old boards thread here on the subject might have some recipe pointers:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52500648

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BurgundyRose

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Cheap shiraz from Tesco, LIDL, ALDI would be the goto cooking wine in our household for dishes like Beef bourguignon.
    It is usually cheaper than merlot and more robust, whereas cheap merlot can be a bit thin.
    Maybe cabernet sauvignon didn't work cos it would be higher in drying tannins.

LIDL and ALDI usually sell a mulled wine (Gluhwein) this time of year, might be worth trying for a relative comparison.

An old boards thread here on the subject might have some recipe pointers:

Thank you for the reply. Thanks for the wine suggestions and the link. I will have a look in my local aldi at the weekend for the mulled wine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I found it very sharp and bitter.
    Every year I'm surprised by how much sugar is needed. I'm not sure the wine matters to the flavour much, but when it's too sharp and bitter, just pile in the sugar until it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

We make some every year in work and we use a cheap shiraz (Hardy's I think) as odyssey06 suggested and it comes out lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

Any wine - as lomg as it is red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement