Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Driver

Options
  • 29-10-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Just looking at a new driver. I have a Callaway x Hot at the moment and looking to change it. Looking at one of these 3;
    TaylorMade Sim Max,
    Cobra Speedzone or
    Callaway Rogue.
    Looking at a few golf shops who have deals, and ebay. I'm relatively new to the game and not the straightest of hitters. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Why not wait till shops open again and try all 3 if they have a launch monitor or such.
    I have the rogue but it was built for me so expensive compared to a rack buy. Love it but can't comment on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Why not wait till shops open again and try all 3 if they have a launch monitor or such.
    I have the rogue but it was built for me so expensive compared to a rack buy. Love it but can't comment on others.

Ya unless I see a too good to not get deal I most likely will wait. It's just from looking them up I've kind of narrowed it to those 3 and was just looking for advice! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Absolutely wait and get a fitting.
    Make sure you get the right shaft and head adjustments to suit your game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

macslash wrote: »
    Ya unless I see a too good to not get deal I most likely will wait. It's just from looking them up I've kind of narrowed it to those 3 and was just looking for advice! Thanks

Each of those drivers are great but by buying off the rack you are rolling the dice whether you can hit it or not. And to be honest the odds on you choosing the right one is pretty low

Go get fit

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I had good experience with the rogue, but am moving it on now that I have the Mavrik. I personally wouldn’t put it in the same category as the sim max. For me the issue with fits is that it is still only relatively few shots and you can get tired before have got a proper feel for a club. I’ve played with loads of people who got fit into good clubs and good shafts, but can’t hit them straight on the course. I was fit for sim max 3 wood and hit it amazingly at the fit and well off the tee in play, but would say only get great results half the time from fairway. I’m hitting a 16.5 ts3 off eBay much better, although I did get same shaft in both.

The fit is great for finding out which clubs you don’t like and which shafts work, but for me it’s weeks and weeks of rounds and range before you know if they are for you. For that reason I buy 90% of stuff second hand so can really try them out and sell on what doesn’t work out for around same price, can turn into nearly a full time job though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Everybody says to get fit and they're obviously right but I've bought most of my clubs used/off the rack because I'd far prefer to invest heavier in clubs down the line after working a little longer on my technique.

The only club I've bought new is a Cobra Speedzone Xtreme driver. I tried a couple of the clubs above including Rogue before purchasing.

I watched a couple of online videos most notably ForeGolf who mentioned the Speedzone as a club that can be purchased off the rack with confidence.

The Speedzone Xtreme is very easy to hit and having purchased it new for 350e, it was at the lower end of the scale when compared to Sim, Mavrik, G410.

The preferred method is to get fit but as someone who has tried a couple of the aforementioned clubs off the rack, Speedzone Xtreme is a solid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

If you're new to the game I'd spend the money on lessons, and then get fit by your instructor when you are good enough. There really isn't any point in spending the money on a new, fitted driver if you're a new player off 18+, in my opinion. If you're already good enough then definitely get fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think you can buy a bad driver these days, but you can buy one that's not perfect for you.

If you're looking for a bargin, no harm is rolling the dice a bit. You could get a two year old driver second hand for a third of he price of a new one and it could be a smashing driver. But if you're paying top dollar go get fitted. If I had not been fitted I'd have gone for a 9 degree stiff shaft cobra speedzone. I got fitted and that's exactly what I got, but with the peace of mind that I'd tried other drivers and set ups and that was the best for me. And on top of that, it's an immensely enjoyable experience to get fitted. I don't generally like pampering, but I did enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Some good advice above.
    I got fitted for a driver recently and ended up getting the Sim Max (Stiff Ventus blue) . I tried 3 drivers Mavrik, G410 and Sim Max. Was playing with an old Cobra AMP driver stiff shaft. To be honest I couldn't tell you how the Sim Max is working out as I haven't had a chance to use it yet due to lockdown but the numbers stood out when hooked up to launch monitor in store. I went in with preconception that I would get G410 based on videos on youtube but Spin rates, dispersion etc were more consistent with SIM max. I was averaging 15 yards extra carry with SIM max as opposed to my own Cobra Amp. My best ball with SIM carried 285 yards ball speed of 166mph. Sound and feel were great. I only hit 5 shots with each of Mavrik, G410 and SIM max so it is a very small sample size but felt more confident with SIM in my hand. It is very subjective though and based on individual so someone else might go in and find the G410 or Mavrik worked best for them. Hard to find fault with the SIM max though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Loads of great advice lads, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I got a Mizuno ST200 a couple of months ago and I love it. I tried all of the drivers from the big brands and got the best figures from the Mizuno, and it was over €150 cheaper than the equivalent from Taylormade and Titleist.

As other people have said, wait til the shops reopen and hit them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

As has been said above, get a fitting.

I got fitted for the Sim Max earlier this year and love it, the difference between the different shafts is very apparent when you hit them one after the other. There was a fitting day in my club and it worked out cheaper to get the custom fitted club than to buy off the rack in a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I got a Mizuno ST200 a couple of months ago and I love it. I tried all of the drivers from the big brands and got the best figures from the Mizuno, and it was over €150 cheaper than the equivalent from Taylormade and Titleist.

As other people have said, wait til the shops reopen and hit them all.

Saw a YouTube video about this years drivers, think it was Rick Sheils where he tried them all out. Narrowed it down to the ST200 and Cobra Speedzone. He was full of praise for the Mizuno. Did end up picking the Cobra but his previous was a Cobra as well so obviously a fan. Would love to try one at some stage, always loved Mizuno woods even when they weren’t widely well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If you are willing to buy off the shelf I'd say go second hand or new last season stock.
    M6 and sim you will not see any difference same with the rest of them.
    Ping was the most forgiving last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Neworld17

I believe the combination of driver head and shaft spec is critical to how the driver will perform for you. Each shaft performs differently and in different heads... for example the kick point will vary in each shaft, so finding the one that suits your swing is tricky. The club also has to look good to your eye.

What are you chasing... is it max distance or accuracy? The longer the shaft the greater the likely club head speed and longer the drives ... when you hit the sweet spot on the club head ... but will be harder to control so will happen less often. Reduce the length of the shaft and you are much more likely to hit the sweet spot which will deliver greater accuracy with good distance ( I cut 1" off my driver shaft and am hitting the ball longer and straighter than ever). Moral of the story is to get a fitting (even a couple that you can compare) and ideally at a range where you can see the flight of the ball. Don't be afraid to go for last years driver model as there will be very little if any difference unless you are an elite/low handicap golfer and you will save yourself a bunch of money. Some driving ranges sell used drivers and will let you try before you buy or if they have a pro pay for a fitting and ask him/her to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Something I would insist on now if I was getting a driver fitting is, the driver I am hitting at the fitting is the one I want in the bag. Not one they have to order in as the one I have just been hitting is the driver I was fit to. I know this probably couldn't be done with irons but no reason it couldn't be done with a driver.

I think getting fit in 2 different places like Newworld said is something that I would be doing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I fully agree that you should be choosing the club that you want in the bag as much as the one with the best numbers.
    I started the conversation with the fitter in that way telling him that I didn't like the feedback/feeling on the driver that I was using, which I bought online.

Also, blue note mentioned paying "top dollar for fitting" - my experience has been that the price of the fitting was taken off the price of the club once you made the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Off topic question, has anyone ever had a driver retro-fitted and if so what was the experience, cost and effect on their game after fitting. Would they reccomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Absolutely wait and get a fitting.
    Make sure you get the right shaft and head adjustments to suit your game

This.

Got fitted in August, new Callaway Maverick in September, down 4 shots in 6 weeks before the lockdown.

Advertisement