Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merge city and county forums?

• 20-10-2020 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

There is a discussion is city forum about merging city and county to a single Galway forum.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058123497

County posters, is this something you would like?

Note, this is just a discussion and may not happen. But do have your say!

Merge city and county? Anonymous poll. 117 votes

Yes, merge
    70% 82 votes
    No, do not merge
    23% 28 votes
    Something else, I'll explain in a post
    5% 7 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes

Comments

God yes! Please merge them! I've thought about this for ages

The county forum is pointless and annoying. For example, I live in the county but work in the city but I rarely if ever post in the county forum because its dead with threads often going days or weeks without a look in.

I'd love to discuss county stuff, but its a dead board.

I feel you would have a much more lively forum if they were merged.

I'd wager there's others who feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Don Juan II

Please, please merge!
    I browse both ... but use the City one much more even though I live in the county

I propose moving the boundary to match that of the diocese of Galway.

Galway_Kilmacduagh_n_Kilfenora.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think we should merge. I live on the edge of the city so would often shop and visit in surrounding county towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I agree. If I'm looking for a service etc I post I will the city forum even though I'm outside the boundary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I'm in favour of merging, yeah. Speaking as a Ballinasloe native who lived in the city for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Definitely merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CCat

I'm in favour of merging

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Merge the city into the county!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think merge is a good idea. The downside mentioned is that there will be irrelevant threads, but sure they're all irrelevant to someone :pac: we can just skip them.
    I think it would be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’m in favour of merging.
    I don’t think Galway is big enough to make a city/county distinction. E.g. I’m sure I’ve been involved in threads in this forum that were discussing something specific to Oranmore or Claregalway (both very suburban villages these days) and next thing the thread vanishes into the County forum graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

I know it's quite but I think keep them separate.

Just wait for city people to start complaining about too many threads of someone looking for a plasterer in Ballinasloe!

motley wrote: »
    I know it's quite but I think keep them separate.

Just wait for city people to start complaining about too many threads of someone looking for a plasterer in Ballinasloe!

There's a single thread on that forum for "I'm looking for..." so that is already well controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Voted No. I don't live in the city any more but it's nice to have a forum that is city centric. It would just be nice if the Galway Co board was more active.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Voted No. I don't live in the city any more but it's nice to have a forum that is city centric. It would just be nice if the Galway Co board was more active.

How would the small number of posts in the County forum change the nature of the City forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Apparently some people in the city think that Galway ends in Oranmore if not Renmore, and some people around these parts think Galway Bay Fm should be re-named Galway City FM but that is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jc bamford wrote: »
    Apparently some people in the city think that Galway ends in Oranmore if not Renmore, and some people around these parts think Galway Bay Fm should be re-named Galway City FM but that is another story.

Who thinks this?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Who thinks this?

I do because all the talk about is the city, barely a word about the rest of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been part of forum merges before and it has never ended well.
    Usually the quieter forum dies entirely.

To me it's fine to keep the two forums, just because County is quiet doesn't mean it doesn't fill a function.
    That said, I am open to try a merge if the majority wants it, but we won't rush into it.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I've been part of forum merges before and it has never ended well.
    Usually the quieter forum dies entirely.

To me it's fine to keep them two forums, just because County is quiet doesn't mean it doesn't fill a function.
    That said, I am open to try a merge if the majority wants it, but we won't rush into it.

I live in the County rather than the City. I would much rather post in a forum where my post will be seen. I can't see why it wouldn't encourage more County posts. And the County forum is already almost dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

It actually ends about 1/4 way out the dual carriageway, where the city and county council authorities have their border. It’s usually easy to spot the ‘border’, it’s where the grass becomes unkempt on the city side!

Discodog wrote: »
    I live in the County rather than the City. I would much rather post in a forum where my post will be seen. I can't see why it wouldn't encourage more County posts. And the County forum is already almost dead.
    This is the reason. People want to post where they will be seen and hopefully someone will respond.
    However, a post about broadband in Clifden won't get responses from Galway city folk anyway.

Perhaps this time it will work.

Discodog wrote: »

Sure go post in the city one then instead of trying to close this forum down just to suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

think Galway Bay Fm should be re-named Galway City FM but that is another story.

Actually they used to have seperate programs in the evening on the "city" frequency, but that stopped a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sure go post in the city one then instead of trying to close this forum down just to suit yourself.

Jesus......

You understand why you don't post things about the county in the Galway city forum yes? This doesn't need to be explained to you?

Sarky comments isn't helping.
    Keep it civil please.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jesus......

You understand why you don't post things about the county in the Galway city forum yes? This doesn't need to be explained to you?

Exactly why I'm saying they shouldn't be merged.

You do realise our forum here will be merged with the city one?

And I don't like being talked down to either.

Exactly why I'm saying they shouldn't be merged.

You do realise our forum here will be merged with the city one?

And I don't like being talked down to either.

The motivation for me personally, on wanting to see these merged is primarily due to the fact that this forum is virtually dead. A thread that goes days without responses is not likely to promote discussion.

I would love to discuss County related issues but there is simply not enough engagement on this forum.

Take your own engagement as an example. Over the last 2 years you have 14 posts on this board and 4 of those are on this thread, with 8 of the other 10 on the Galway East election thread. Prior to the election thread I have to go back to Aug 2018 for the next most recent post.

Please don't misunderstand my point, I'm not having a go at you specifically, just showing that even you, with 4 times as many posts as I have, are barely active on this forum.

• Advertisement

DaCor wrote: »
    I would love to discuss County related issues but there is simply not enough engagement on this forum.
    What makes you think city folk will respond to your county thread after a merge?
    Are you hoping a merge will make county folk more inclined to view the new forum?

Comparing city to county won't hold up for any of the regional forums on boards. The city forums all have bigger audience.

Advertisement