Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else NOT going insane

Options
  • 28-10-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Question
    Is anyone else NOT going insane
    With lock down etc etc
    I've got a lot of the xmas presents
    Halloween will only be in our house
    No hassle getting all the food shopping
    Go for 1 or 2 small walks a day
    I dont mind autumn or winter weather
    I dont really go to the pub so dont miss them
    Get my hair cuts at home as always

Just seen the other thread where most posts are how people are struggling. I can understand most of the issues and reasons, im not questioning them at all. Just seeing is there as many positive stories where people have learnt to adapt to all our situation

Comments

I’m happy. Just getting on with things instead of blaming everything.

cooking every day
    house spick and span
    caught up on a load of jobs
    have all the tech i wanted researched and bought
    plenty of stuff on netflix, plex, kindle to read/watch
    plenty of podcasts to listen to
    walking most days
    working around my own schedule, which is great

miss the five a side and missing spins, missing travel badly

but considering all thats going on, those are tiny things to be without

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It has not made much difference to my life and I can go out for a walk or the shops when I want so it has not really affected me at all except for going to the Cinema and the big city. I miss that but that's about it. There is plenty on the T.V anyway so that keeps me busy and always loads to be doing. Having the clothes section locked of in Tesco and Dunnes is a bit of a bummer but not much we can do about it. You just have to make the best of it the lockdown and hope it does what is supposed to so we can open up again and get back to some normality and maybe people will not be stupid again and we will not have to go into another lockdown in the new year. The sooner the Vaccine comes the better then hopefully everyone takes it. Yes it is scary taking something new into the body but it's either that or stay inside all the time and the Vaccines will have be tested for most problems hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Me. I can totally handle it.

F*** you Covid, you c*** - you may be more deadly than me, but I have an infinite source of patience, far more than you - so... take your time - y'Viral Bast**d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Really enjoying the lockdown. Fortunate to have a secure job that I can work from home.

I am on the introverted side anyway, so its honestly great not having to deal with people.

Currently working on a college dissertation - so timing is great for that.

Also have time to work on classic car projects.

The dogs are loving me being home every day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Luckily im still working although it weather dependent . Few hours a day in the shed mending ''stuff'', few walks or spin on the bike most weeks .
    I enjoy a pint if there's some get together on but not one for just going to the pub so dont miss the pub . However the best part of the lockdown is its stops herself coming out with the dreaded '' do you know what we could do'' or ''do you know where we could go'' . The answer to both those questions involves wandering aimlessly around town/shops or going ''visiting'' [to talk sh..e]
    HAPPY DAYS

I've been put out of work because of the tight restrictions a few months back (was out of work for 4 months), got back to work when the restrictions were lifted and now I'm back on the PUP again for level 5 (Self employed photographer).

... I wish it would last forever! €1,400 a month and not have to worry about chasing invoices, car breaking down, 16 hour days, flying drones in the wind and so on and so forth. Don't get me wrong, the novelty might eventually wear off, but I think I'd stick it for a few years, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It clearly doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people but its still not ideal. I'm not going insane or anywhere near it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No, my immediate family had caused me a lifetime of stress in the 9 months previous so I had moved well away just before lockdown.
    The breather of just being away from the drama means it has had no impact on me whatsoever.

For those who are close to their family, I see how it may be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tzardine wrote: »
    Really enjoying the lockdown. Fortunate to have a secure job that I can work from home.

I am on the introverted side anyway, so its honestly great not having to deal with people.

Currently working on a college dissertation - so timing is great for that.

Also have time to work on classic car projects.

The dogs are loving me being home every day too.

Oh cool. What classic car are you working on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

when-you-find-out-your-normal-daily-lifestyle-is-called-quarantine.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

People are soft, they're just too soft.

No resilience, no ability to cope with any change. Not happy if they can't swan around and have everything go 100% thier way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh cool. What classic car are you working on?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058125035

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

RonaVirus wrote: »

No resilience, no ability to cope with any change. Not happy if they can't swan around and have everything go 100% thier way.

Many people are going mad because they can’t do what they never did in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Some people are coping, others aren't. Have more empathy. Not everyones circumstances are the same as yours. Think of those families who cannot send their severely disabled son or daughter to care, because of Covid. Think of the the 24 hour care that is required, the strain this puts on people and families.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Some people are coping, others aren't. Have more empathy. Not everyones circumstances are the same as yours. Think of those families who cannot send their severely disabled son or daughter to care, because of Covid. Think of the the 24 hour care that is required, the strain this puts on people and families.

Genuine cases are ok but all this bull**** “I can’t go to the pub/gym/party/match and I should be allowed mental health mental health mental health” is nauseating. Nation of entitled twats who have now been given a catch-all excuse for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Exactly. Like the dole bashing threads, people are not including the genuine cases in their comments of the situation, and I would have thought that was obvious by now and wouldn't need to be clarified. But anyway...

I'm loving it. Lends perfectly to my lifestyle in the last 5 or so years. Seems like a lot of people don't want to be left with their own thoughts and are unable to cope with that. The only thing I miss is calling around to the lads house to watch that weeks anime or play games. But we still play D&D online together, and while not the same it'll do for my social requirements.

Also got confirmation today that I'm getting a PS5 on launch, so won't be needing any social interaction for the rest of the year after Nov 19th. Yurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm happy. Got to work the last ten weeks of pregnancy at home, and I'm convinced the relaxed pace with no stressful commuting contributed to an easy, fast and straightforward birth and recovery!

OH WFH means he can be here to support us and when he is finished work, he's here and not getting onto a Luas to start a 90minute commute home.

Saved a load on travel, lunches, pet sitter etc and have saved a big chunk towards our deposit.

Doing pretty much everything online and only venture into the city for essentials such as veterinary visits. Have the Christmas shopping sorted.

Take lovely, peaceful walks each day with the little one and the dog. We have learned to make do a lot more and have pretty much abandoned previous tendancies towards instant gratification and fast fashion.

We have a bubble of around six people that we see, and everyone else is by call/ message.

The only two downfalls for me have been losing out on normal first time mum stuff like meetup groups and playdates, and the freedom to travel.

But no, I'm very far from going insane.

But, we are lucky. Both still have jobs and have space and flexibility to WFH. I wouldn't like to be in a cramped house share or trying to live on 350 a week. I agree, people calling mental health because they can't go to the pub is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Interesting thread and to hear other posters perspective. Same as many overall I quite like the lockdown and similar for the first one. I enjoy fully working from home and dread the expectation to be going back into the office. Aside from not going to the pub or restaurants it hasn’t really impacted our lives.

Weekends are generally just relaxing around the house, watching sport or helping on the farm (usually a combination). Ok I’d have gone for a few pints most weekends but now I will have a few bottles each weekend night at home.

We never really do anything in the evenings during the week bar a walk or a little farm work but mostly tv especially with a toddler. It would normally have been after 7 when I get home now I’m generally down helping with dinner at 6.

We do feel for those who have lost jobs and so on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

It’s a walk in the park compared to past life experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Question
    Is anyone else NOT going insane
    With lock down etc etc
    I've got a lot of the xmas presents
    Halloween will only be in our house
    No hassle getting all the food shopping
    Go for 1 or 2 small walks a day
    I dont mind autumn or winter weather
    I dont really go to the pub so dont miss them
    Get my hair cuts at home as always

Just seen the other thread where most posts are how people are struggling. I can understand most of the issues and reasons, im not questioning them at all. Just seeing is there as many positive stories where people have learnt to adapt to all our situation

Some people, a lot or people, don't have what you have.
    They had something different and now it's been taken away and they don't know if they'll ever get it back.

Take away some of the things on your little list and see how happy and content you would be and adjust to the new paradigm.

Let's just say you CAN go to the pub (something you don't do) but you can't go walking (which is something you like to do)

Let's just say you can live in the same house as your family....you just can't be in the same room as them. For weeks or months and with no explanations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Im very happy in my own skin and company so I don't mind it at all. I do feel sorry for those who are suffering though.

I wake at 6 am and do a few downward dogs in my home gym. Afterwards I make porridge from the oats I soaked over night. At 10 am I begin my online Japanese language class with my tutor Akihiro. I am almost fluent thanks to the bounty of free time on my hands.

Lunch is the sourdough I baked yesterday spread with honey from the bees I keep. Lockdown has allowed me to make great use of my extensive gardens. After lunch I tend to my chickens, then sit in silent contemplation underneath the oak tree.

Thankfully I can have a healthy income from doing absolutely fùck all. The money just keeps coming in. As it gets dark I cast my eye towards my collection of classic novels which I now have time to read. I do so in my very large sitting room while sipping a camomile tea.
    Alcohol is so 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I wake at 6 am and do a few downward dogs in my home gym. Afterwards I make porridge from the oats I soaked over night. At 10 am I begin my online Japanese language class with my tutor Akihiro. I am almost fluent thanks to the bounty of free time on my hands.

Lunch is the sourdough I baked yesterday spread with honey from the bees I keep. Lockdown has allowed me to make great use of my extensive gardens. After lunch I tend to my chickens, then sit in silent contemplation underneath the oak tree.

Thankfully I can have a healthy income from doing absolutely fùck all. The money just keeps coming in. As it gets dark I cast my eye towards my collection of classic novels which I now have time to read. I do so in my very large sitting room while sipping a camomile tea.
    Alcohol is so 2019.

:D:D. Namaste ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

RonaVirus wrote: »

What a vacuous comment. Well done to you.

Autosport wrote: »
    :D:D. Namaste ;)

*Bows*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I am doing fine.
    I have my new sniper rifle to put with my other 57.
    I got me my bush knife, billhook, utility knife, and Sykes-Fairbairn.
    I was worried about the Covid so I stocked up on another 200 bottles of bleach for wave 2, people told me it werent safe to be hoarding that much but look who is laughing now.
    Got some fresh diesel, chemical fertilizer, Saltpeter, and a half ton of sugar for good measure.
    Did some fencing around the property and took down the old electric fence and changed it for some spangly new razor wire.
    I found some antiques my great grandad had saved since the war of independence just in case the british ever came back. Woulldnt you know it the old codger had one of them great old Maxim guns and 30,000 rounds of 303 that he never declared.
    I have been worried about bears on the property so I put down a few bear traps.

I was worried about mice getting near my MRE rations so I decided to scare then off with sonics, got me a tip top of the range rave machine. I dont know why but every morning after 3AM I play the last post followed by some jungle music. Neighbours never complained I dont know why I just do it at the darned tootinest times.

The main thing is to have love in your life. Mine is my dogs. I used to walk with Lucifer and Obama my Doberman pincers. I was worried they were losing their edge so I used to supplement their rations with some good old meth Amphetimes, I got some vintage from my cousin in America who had them in the first wave in Iraq when he was in the Tank corps. He said it made everything sparkley. Course he is in the VA now.

I am so looking forward to chistmas and putting little baby jesus in the crib. Course with the covid on I couldnt borrow any animals so I have been substituting in Badgers, ferrets and Rabbits and turtles....it was awful messy at rehearsals.

The important thing is to keep positive and watch out for big government. I reckon the postman is spying on me. He is next on my list.
    The mental health is important to keep going to eat your rations and supplements and be a good neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m on maternity leave with two small kids so I’m going insane but that would be the case without COVID as well! Benefits of COVID are husband is WFH so I don’t have to get up so early in the morning after being awake half the night with the baby. Also having him home to have a bit of adult conversation is great.

I feel very lucky with how things worked out with my pregnancy, maternity leave timing etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Can't complain too much to be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time in the pub normally. You could count in one hand how many times a year I went to one so not missed that much.

New arrival due so our social life has been pretty much non existent anyway so restaurants and cafes not missed that much and won't be for the foreseeable future.

I work in the office every second week so working from home isn't that bad as we have a reasonable sized house, I've a decent setup of a home office and I get a change of scene every week.

We live in a smallish town with 2 x beach's within walking distance of the house so lots of space for a walk and getting some fresh air.

All in all it hasn't been overly interrupting to our lives but it has seriously impacted friends of ours and even had one death where a funeral was not possible which was heartbreaking.

But I do miss chatting with my mates and colleagues in the office as we are working with a skeleton crew onsite. The social interaction is the one thing I miss and most of that can be done online but it's not the same really.

All in all though we have adapted pretty well to it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I'm sort of lucky I suppose as I don't go to pubs or clubs so not really missing out on anything there.

I do most of my shopping online (books, vinyl, ebay etc) so that also hasn't been affected.
    I've been able to carry on working, so my daily routine is much the same apart from wearing a mask etc.

No staff Christmas party to "look forward" to this year as well, which is a bonus in my book! 

I actually consider myself to be fairly unattractive (my wife disagrees!) so I'm happy enough wearing a mask as a lot of people seem to have really nice eyes when that's all you can see!

Apart from my immediate family, I don't like greeting/kissing/hugging etc so I'm not feeling any great physical contact loss there, as some people are.

I do miss going to restaurants, gigs and cinema though and not being able to go abroad on a nice city break is disappointing.

I'm careful with the covid media information I absorb as that could drive you to a pit of depression if you're not careful.

As long as you're cautious with hand sanitising and mask wear, what more can you do? Everything else is beyond your control.

I suppose you could say this virus has been easier to deal with for those of an introverted nature but yeah, overall I'm grand thanks!

Advertisement