Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pipefitting work

• 28-10-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Doing an apprenticeship in Pipefitting in Ireland at the moment and will be looking to move to Australia once completed, eligible for 3rd year WHV but will be looking at longterm move when i do go back. Just wondring what the rates are like over there, mainly gas ive eorked with so far here at home and also wheres best to base myself? As i know most of tbe work is camp work out there too i was thinking of Melbourne as a good place to base myeelf but im a fan of South Australia(dont ask why) but fairly easy going all tbe same about where i head to.
    TIA

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Doing an apprenticeship in Pipefitting in Ireland at the moment and will be looking to move to Australia once completed, eligible for 3rd year WHV but will be looking at longterm move when i do go back. Just wondring what the rates are like over there, mainly gas ive eorked with so far here at home and also wheres best to base myself? As i know most of tbe work is camp work out there too i was thinking of Melbourne as a good place to base myeelf but im a fan of South Australia(dont ask why) but fairly easy going all tbe same about where i head to.
    TIA

Not sure if that’s similar to plumbing. An Irish plumbing qualification in Australia is laughed at over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not sure if that’s similar to plumbing. An Irish plumbing qualification in Australia is laughed at over there.

Same for sparks abd the likes too i know. Id be presuming id need to get my skills recognised in the process of moving but surely with all the aer lingus chippies and so called pipelayers there a fella with genuine trade papers wouldnt have major trouble getting a visa.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

TIA

Have you checked if pipefitter is on the skills list for Australia?

aido79 wrote: »
    Have you checked if pipefitter is on the skills list for Australia?

Currently not on the lists due to Covid but its a broad trade and i think gas fitter was on it the last time i checked it out.

Better living everyone

Currently not on the lists due to Covid but its a broad trade and i think gas fitter was on it the last time i checked it out.

It's possible it may be added to the skills list before you decide to move. You are very unlikely to be recognised as a gas fitter unless you have experience with gas installation. It's a licenced trade so its harder to get recognised for migration.

• Advertisement

It's possible it may be added to the skills list before you decide to move. You are very unlikely to be recognised as a gas fitter unless you have experience with gas installation. It's a licenced trade so its harder to get recognised for migration.

There was seversl different types of fitters on the list as well as boilermaker which would fall under the category of pipefitting too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Might get lucky with factory shutdowns if your willing to travel, I got a gig in Melbourne a few years ago as mechanical TA had to do a confined space course out of my own pocket but was worth it for the couple of months work, think there is a website or Facebook page "shutdowns australia" maybe.

minzabud wrote: »
    Might get lucky with factory shutdowns if your willing to travel, I got a gig in Melbourne a few years ago as mechanical TA had to do a confined space course out of my own pocket but was worth it for the couple of months work, think there is a website or Facebook page "shutdowns australia" maybe.

It woulf be a mlve for the longterm id be heading for mate, id be hoping to have steady work and not be chasing shutdowns like before. Wouldnt mind FIFO or DIDO if i had a good spot for base.

Better living everyone

There was seversl different types of fitters on the list as well as boilermaker which would fall under the category of pipefitting too.

You'll have to go through Trades Recognition Australia so it'll be up to them to decide what category you fall into. They go on a combination of your experience and your qualifications.
    What visa do you intend applying for?

You'll have to go through Trades Recognition Australia so it'll be up to them to decide what category you fall into. They go on a combination of your experience and your qualifications.
    What visa do you intend applying for?

I was hoping for tbe subclass 189 or 190 if i remember correctly. Rural area wouldnt bother me if i was gauranteed PR.wouldnt be mad on sponsorship, heard a few horror stories with them.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

I was hoping for tbe subclass 189 or 190 if i remember correctly. Rural area wouldnt bother me if i was gauranteed PR.wouldnt be mad on sponsorship, heard a few horror stories with them.

They're the best options. You would need to be nominated by a company for the 190 visa. You'll probably have to do an English test to get enough points for either visa. That's not as easy as it might sound. I know plenty of people who have struggled to get a decent score in it.

Sponsorship should be the last option in my opinion.

Advertisement