Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas tree artificial

• 27-10-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a really good artificial xmas tree. I like the Paul Costello one in Dunnes but its too big for my room. That quality but a neater tree. Any recommendations, its a pain that we cant go into shops and see them in reality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We use a real tree as our main tree and have a couple of smaller fake ones we use as well. So not really much help I'm afraid however I'm sure a few of my learner-ed friends will be able to point you in the right direction.

junebabies wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a really good artificial xmas tree. I like the Paul Costello one in Dunnes but its too big for my room. That quality but a neater tree. Any recommendations, its a pain that we cant go into shops and see them in reality

How many feet tall would you be thinking? We bought our tree last year so I might be able to make suggestions :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Eskie wrote: »
    How many feet tall would you be thinking? We bought our tree last year so I might be able to make suggestions :)

We're looking for a 8.5ft-9ft....not as easy to find as you'd think. Given we can really only do research online any tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I can't say myself but I know I have seen this name mentioned a lot on this forum from home store and more Nebraska Tree and I think someone else mentioned Littlewoods for trees too

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭antfin

Arnotts and Brown Thomas have some lovely trees for reasonable prices. I got a 7.5ft Puleo Greenwich Fir last year in the November sale for €200. Lovely realistic looking tree. They seem to do a good selection of Puleo trees and I went into see them in both of the stores last year and they all looked very good quality in the €200 to €300 range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Balsam Hill have really good ones

antfin wrote: »
    Arnotts and Brown Thomas have some lovely trees for reasonable prices. I got a 7.5ft Puleo Greenwich Fir last year in the November sale for €200. Lovely realistic looking tree. They seem to do a good selection of Puleo trees and I went into see them in both of the stores last year and they all looked very good quality in the €200 to €300 range.

They've sold out of their 8ft and 9fts already, we saw them in store and now they are off the website. Emailed them and they said out of stock with no idea if they will get any more this side of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

SarahLil wrote: »
    I can't say myself but I know I have seen this name mentioned a lot on this forum from home store and more Nebraska Tree and I think someone else mentioned Littlewoods for trees too

7ft is as big as homestore go by the looks, our current one is a 6.5ft Nebraska. Now we have a tall ceiling...

We're looking for a 8.5ft-9ft....not as easy to find as you'd think. Given we can really only do research online any tips appreciated.

We went for the Nebraska last year and we love it.

8ft Nebraska :)

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-trees/nebraska-christmas-tree-8ft/053911.html

Mcds.ie have very tall trees available for preorder:

https://www.mcds.ie/product-category/christmas/christmas-trees/page/2/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwreT8BRDTARIsAJLI0KJYXWlWsVUueTApEk33OEa9nHuSbBD5C8OUEsg6lGeoa2nOrcP3ByEaAskoEALw_wcB

Just remember to take into account if you're putting something on top of your tree :D

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the height of a tree quoted is from the ground or from when it is in its stand?

Noted of we want to put something at the top!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Chockablock Theodore

TRS30 wrote: »
    We use a real tree as our main tree and have a couple of smaller fake ones we use as well. So not really much help I'm afraid however I'm sure a few of my learner-ed friends will be able to point you in the right direction.

Are you chopping down/paying someone to chop down innocent trees every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Got a great one from balsam hill a couple of years ago. Good range of sizes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Anyone know if the height of a tree quoted is from the ground or from when it is in its stand?

Noted of we want to put something at the top!!

It includes the stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I sawed a broken lower bough off the fir outside the back garden so we're sorted for a tree but cos anyone know where you'd get a stand for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The Orchard garden centre has really good quality artificial trees. They normally have a christmas shop, and put some of the items online. https://www.theorchard.ie/christmas-world/artificial-christmas-trees/

Used to get a real tree but was rarely happy with the tree I ended up with.

Got a good quality artificial tree 3 years ago, much better. My brother went from artificial to real the same year, but his artificial one wasn’t great.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    The Orchard garden centre has really good quality artificial trees. They normally have a christmas shop, and put some of the items online. https://www.theorchard.ie/christmas-world/artificial-christmas-trees/

If possible try to see in person before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PetuniaPearl

Hello
    Because we always put our tree up in mid November, we always have artificial and want to buy a new one this year. Unfortunately due to lockdown I can't view in person so have to buy online.
    I've found one I like in Woodies and wondered if anyone is familiar with this tree? Good/Bad?
    Thanks in advance.

Drat, I tried to post a link, but can't post images yet. It's a 7ft Fraser Fir Christmas Tree priced at €139.99 (save €60)

Hello
    Because we always put our tree up in mid November, we always have artificial and want to buy a new one this year. Unfortunately due to lockdown I can't view in person so have to buy online.
    I've found one I like in Woodies and wondered if anyone is familiar with this tree? Good/Bad?
    Thanks in advance.

Drat, I tried to post a link, but can't post images yet. It's a 7ft Fraser Fir Christmas Tree priced at €139.99 (save €60)

I can't comment on the Fraser Fir Tree, but maybe some of the suggestions in this thread might help? :)

Last year myself and himself narrowed down our search for a new tree to between Woodies and Home Store and More, Home Store's Nebraska tree won out, but that's not to say Woodies trees aren't as good or even better, it was just that the Nebraska suited what we were looking for.
    I don't know if shops are doing it, but having their trees on display would be very helpful at this time, even if they're not selling them in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I bought the 6ft regal for from Littlewoods. It's a nice tree, but too small. I was going to just return it and buy the 7ft version of the same tree. But now Littlewoods are annoying me as I'm waiting on them to collect it for 2 weeks now. I saw the Nebraska online in HomeStore and it also looks nice. Can any recommend this tree? Or any others?
    Also, regarding size, when I googled it said to leave one foot for either end of the tree. One ceiling height is just under 8 feet, which is why I ordered the 6 foot tree. Did I do something wrong here about how I calculated that?
    I bought a beautiful wicker style tree skirt from Dunnes and it's huge so I definitely need a bigger tree for that too.

I bought the 6ft regal for from Littlewoods. It's a nice tree, but too small. I was going to just return it and buy the 7ft version of the same tree. But now Littlewoods are annoying me as I'm waiting on them to collect it for 2 weeks now. I saw the Nebraska online in HomeStore and it also looks nice. Can any recommend this tree? Or any others?
    Also, regarding size, when I googled it said to leave one foot for either end of the tree. One ceiling height is just under 8 feet, which is why I ordered the 6 foot tree. Did I do something wrong here about how I calculated that?
    I bought a beautiful wicker style tree skirt from Dunnes and it's huge so I definitely need a bigger tree for that too.

We have a Nebraska 6ft from home store and more and its OK, we're actually looking for a larger tree now as ceiling is about 9ft (new house, we bought the 6ft when we were in an apartment).

Am curious how the sizing works too....we are thinking of getting an 8ft?

Have what sounds like the same wicker style tree skirt from Dunnes too.

The tree skirt is sold out now so I can't post the link. It's gorgeous, but bigger than I was expecting. I want to keep it though. We definitely need a bigger tree for the room anyway, and then also to coordinate better with the tree skirt.
    I was in Woodies earlier and although the Christmas section is closed off, I could get close to a couple of the trees. The 7ft pine undecorated looked quite nice. Reviews on the website are good about the actual tree being full, but bad about the base.

The tree skirt is sold out now so I can't post the link. It's gorgeous, but bigger than I was expecting. I want to keep it though. We definitely need a bigger tree for the room anyway, and then also to coordinate better with the tree skirt.
    I was in Woodies earlier and although the Christmas section is closed off, I could get close to a couple of the trees. The 7ft pine undecorated looked quite nice. Reviews on the website are good about the actual tree being full, but bad about the base.

Yeah we grabbed it instore, €24 i think it was as its easy to return until 21/1 or whatever date they are allowing. You never know with stock levels this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If possible try to see in person before buying.

I have a Newbury Spruce feel real I bought from them about 5 years ago. It still looks great, and is very full.

How much was the 7ft in Woodies?

How much was the 7ft in Woodies?

195.99. Reduced from 279.99. Didn't look quite as full as the picture on the website, but it looked good nonetheless.

https://www.woodies.ie/christmas-gift-ideas/christmas-trees/undecorated-christmas-trees/7ft-undecorated-mixed-pine-christmas-tree-1160209

195.99. Reduced from 279.99. Didn't look quite as full as the picture on the website, but it looked good nonetheless.

https://www.woodies.ie/christmas-gift-ideas/christmas-trees/undecorated-christmas-trees/7ft-undecorated-mixed-pine-christmas-tree-1160209

Thanks. Looks nice. One review says was very bare at the bottom of the tree, did you notice that on the one you saw? i know it was cordoned off so maybe you couldn't see the bottom.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Looks nice. One review says was very bare at the bottom of the tree, did you notice that on the one you saw? i know it was cordoned off so maybe you couldn't see the bottom.

I thought it looked decent enough. Quite full and wide at the bottom. A decent size too.

Advertisement