Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to go f**king insane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

46 Long wrote: »
    The arrival of a new toilet seat from Amazon today was the most interesting thing that happened to me since I went out for fish and chips back in September. Cracking up would be an understatement.

1653ac7e45d22ec50afbfe8731276de1.jpg

Bet it’s not as brilliant as this... ( my birthday gift I hope )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I’m just finding I’m staying up too late and not exercising enough.

I’m not quite cracking up, but I’m definitely bored and need to come up with some projects to keep myself occupied, other than work related stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Well I was looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 in a few weeks but that's been delayed.
    Oh 2020, what a gowlbag of a year you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I haven't stop work so no change there.
    Have gotten used to the queueing to go into the few shops I go to. Not liking it, just used to it now.

Enjoyed the actual lockdown..way less traffic, pleasure to walk to work, walk the dog etc.
    This isnt much different to normal except for the 5 km and that's not making any difference to my life.

Only see netflix on my nights off so always look forward to sitting down.
    Don't miss visitors/visiting. Not a fan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Parsnips wrote: »
    Yes. My passion for gaming has helped so much.
    Just total escapism from everything.

No word of a lie I think Stardew Valley alone probably kept me within the bounds of sanity early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Well I was looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 in a few weeks but that's been delayed.
    Oh 2020, what a gowlbag of a year you are.

At least I can now get Ass creed Val without giving Cyberpunk a second taught for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Speaking od Netflix.
    Dont watch that new Adam Sandler halloween film on Netflix.
    Worst Ive ever seen of his. Pure ****e
    I love him but this is pure lazyness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I hate this crap about lockdown making people insane. I’ve always been insane and think yous are only copping on to the good life !

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm fairly introverted and like to spend time alone so I'm not too bothered about the lack of interactions with others. I live with my missus so I do have some company. I love this time of year and I love the long dark nights. Seems to be the opposite for a lot of people.

My family live in another county and I can't see them. That's probably the worst thing for me at the moment.

I've said it a few times on here.. I really advise learning cryptic crosswords. There's an app by Teazel I think the name is which is really good.

• Advertisement

I had to wait an hour and a half in traffic due to a completely pointless checkpoint where they weren't even stopping people by the time I got there on a major route after a 12 hour shift yesterday morning..

That sort of craic will push people over the edge I reckon and turn them against the whole thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Feeling with you all at this unusual time.

My daily life has not changed; emotionally yes as I have folk in hard places close to covid

But I came into total isolation two years ago as my immune system is down. My illness means I cannot walk far etc so my life was already limited - and happily so. I have not had to make any adjustments. simply settling more deeply into the life that I love. With my cats of course. We all need some company; something to care for.

A small island is the perfect place to isolate, The weather rules and looking at met ie now it looks as if we are cut off the next while. Some folks' idea of hell; my idea of heaven... Islanders are born not made.. I must have been one in a previous life

It is way of life like no other and I am at peace here. The last person I saw face to face was the heavily masked postie bearing parcels. A few weeks ago now.
    I shop apart from food by mail order. As I have done for years. Groceries by ferry; cupboards well stocked as in weather like this week probably nothing will get in until next week now.
    As many of you have found it is adapting that is the key. And many of us are natural quiet folk ( Hate the term introverts! )

Old saying, " Adapt or die." Not literally but in some ways.

And as others have also said, we are well provided compared to other lands and thankfully there is less covid here; long may that last.

The internet replaces radio and tv here. Youtube! email and the phone.. sheer luxury ;)

My email contact list has grown and I am glad to be here.

All good wishes to all! The tide WILL turn. "This too shall pass."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I'm fairly introverted and like to spend time alone so I'm not too bothered about the lack of interactions with others. I live with my missus so I do have some company. I love this time of year and I love the long dark nights. Seems to be the opposite for a lot of people.

My family live in another county and I can't see them. That's probably the worst thing for me at the moment.

Swap the sexes and I could have written this. I love quiet and lessness and liminal times and just the peace. Nature. The colours. The sound of wind. Winter is not my favourite season but there do come beautiful days full of intense brightness. Due to sickness earlier in my life I spent a really long time very restricted and that was a good mental preparation for such times as these. Back then I swore I would never complain again as long as I could have some semblance of normal. I love being able to walk and think and feel happy and well. There are sad things about Covid like people who get bad doses or those who are very alone but what can one do when it is as it is. Im very busy with work. Flat out with projects to do. I only miss the regular family get togethers. Very much. I have already started Christmas prep of house in the hopes some can come home. We will see. Everything is uncertain. There is philosophy in that. But everyone is safe and well and that's the gift.

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah sure its grand. No bother. Crocheting is starting to look like an interesting pastime ...

lol.. knitting is better!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Chockablock Theodore

gogo wrote: »
    I’m loving it to be honest, shameless introvert though so it’s suits me. Said it before but the amount of training and activities the kids were in had me run ragged, working full time and have option to work from home when needed but normally head into the office, home then and with no where to go, its full on quality time with the kids.
    Cooked dinner and board games. It was an uno marathon in March, trivial pursuit has taken over with the new lock down.
    My normal ‘dinner’ consisted of a cup of tea on a sideline somewhere wishing I had put a change of shoes in the car, followed by an evening spent catching up on housework with an eye on what’s next. Now the pace is doable for me, I have free time..

I’m loving this new pace of life, acknowledge it’s not for everyone and feel sorry for the kids, oldest misses his friends and sport.
    Youngest has aspergers and is living his best life, he is like a different child since lockdowns started. Nervous stims have disappeared, school is going amazing for him, everything fell together, slower pace suits him just fine and it’s an absolute joy to watch.

A breeding introvert lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

A breeding introvert lol.

I love her post. The peace her child is blooming in. The time she is getting with the children. Looking back those oceans of time I had with mine were the very best of times. You can live a purposeful lifetime just on that kind of love.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I love her post. The peace her child is blooming in. The time she is getting with the children. Looking back those oceans of time I had with mine were the very best of times. You can live a purposeful lifetime just on that kind of love.

Of course you can and many do. :) It is the best way of life. Central to life

What lockdown? This isn’t remotely like the earlier one when people adhere to it.

Anyway you’re bored so get Netflix or some games before someone convinces you it’s a “mental health issue”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anyway you’re bored so get Netflix or some games before someone convinces you it’s a “mental health issueâ€.

Or better still, start being more active, Its called anxiety, and it can cause serious problems for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Maybe it’s just me but I feel far less anxious now then I did before lockdown. I really think we were on a race to the bottom. Consumerism gone crazy, people taking 10 holidays a year, traffic jams, dreadful hangovers, fast food, constant competition in work to achieve unreasonable targets, endless boasting by people on social media. I prefer this slower pace of life. That’s just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Friends in Melbourne have just emerged after around 100 days of lockdown I’m just hoping we will get out of it after half that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Piehead wrote: »
    Fapping 4 - 8 times daily. Sometimes more

Wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Compared to the first one, this isn't a lockdown.

First one there wasn't a car to be seen on the roads, it was like Christmas Day levels of peace and quiet in Limerick City. It was actually refreshing in ways, pause button hit on the rat race.

Now the place is humming and buzzing with traffic as always, but it's darker, wet, cold, and the forgiving attitudes first seen when working from home began are gone, now the rat race is inside my house instead of in an office.

A paycut and a February baby saw to any of the possibilities of saving money that many espouse. Poor child is meeting nobody, terribly attached to her parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Going for my walks in the local wood is the only thing that keeps me going. I feel sorry for my kids this week not being able to meet their pals. Made buns with the youngest yesterday to help pass the day for her. Wish it was the start of summer again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It was easier first time round. I've worked from home throughout and I loved taking tea breaks in the garden when it was sunny and watching the cat chasing butterflies. Now I just wish I could hibernate until Christmas. I hate the month of November and would usually go away somewhere for a few days just to break it up. Need to start getting up and going for a walk in the morning before work instead of going on Boards!

Other than that I have enjoyed the slower pace of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I had to wait an hour and a half in traffic due to a completely pointless checkpoint where they weren't even stopping people by the time I got there on a major route after a 12 hour shift yesterday morning..

That sort of craic will push people over the edge I reckon and turn them against the whole thing..

Discovered the new one on the M4 after work on Monday. Held up for half hour for no reason. Was determined to get a bottle of wine after it but somehow managed to not in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

tamara25 wrote: »
    Going for my walks in the local wood is the only thing that keeps me going. I feel sorry for my kids this week not being able to meet their pals. Made buns with the youngest yesterday to help pass the day for her. Wish it was the start of summer again.......

The nearest woods to me is 8km away, feck it, I'm going after work. Don't mind sensible restrictions but the 5km is a really blunt instrument.

Will tell any Guard that it is essential to my mental health to walk in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I loved the last lockdown, I got to spend 7 weeks at home was fantastic. Not happy I'm working through this one, would have loved another six weeks off

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    This lockdown feels completely different to the March lockdown. Back then we had the novelty of working from home, the days were getting longer, spending time outdoors, getting more quality time. It was weird, but weirdness was a change.

This last week has been completely different though, especially with the clocks changing. Dark when I start work, dark when I finish. Went for a walk around town and its crazy to see everywhere shut by 7pm. Went to meet a friend for coffee and ended up sitting in the car with the heater on. I'd usually go for a run straight after work, but now I'm running at night in the cold. We're 6 months into this now with no end in sight. I'm actually going insane looking at the same four walls every day, counting the end of every day when I closing my bedroom curtains.

How are the rest of ye coping with this?

Tbf, it's always dark at this time of year, even if there was no pandemic, you would still have to run in the dark.
    There is only a lockdown, & not a big one for 6 weeks, then it will be back to the way it was a few weeks ago. It's not so hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Mental Health is so important.

Everything has changed around you, so you need to change and adapt too.

Mix it up a bit, get new routines, do things you never did before.

Here's a few suggestions
    Jigsaws
    Lego
    Knitting
    Crafts
    Scrapbooking
    Blogging

As regards missing friends how about organizing a Zoom dinner party?

Have fun on group Whats App chats. My sister threw a picture in to a group chat and gave everyone to 3 minutes to replicate, dress up and pose like the picture with whatever we had on hand. Everyone started posting their pics and the results were hilarious. It broke the boredom for an hour or so.

Also remember your local library offers free ebooks, eMusic and online courses and lots lots more....

Basically look to fill your free time with something new. Don't expect the time to pass well if you don't fill it with something stimulating that you enjoy

Advertisement