Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oliver Stone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

He wouldn't be my absolute favourite, but the list of great films he has directed or written is long. Wall street is his pinnacle for me. An absolute masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My favourite of his films is JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

I watched Platoon recently and it's a stunning piece of work with a thoroughly talented cast.

For anyone into that sort of thing he had a great sit-down on the Joe Rogan podcast not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He has made JFK, Nixon, W and now I want to see him make a Trump film before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Didn't he do Bush as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

blue note wrote: »
    Didn't he do Bush as well?

That's W

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He has played down talk of doing features hasn't he? On that Rogan podcast actually I think. Said his son would be a better man to ask about those things then but hasn't ruled out documentaries, he said whatever he does if he does something again it will have to be something that excites him.

He has a fantastic body of work, Any Given Sunday is a favourite of mine to go with the likes of platoon and JFK not to mention NBK, wall Street and some of his documentary work. He's had a fantastic career.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I watch The Doors recently. Great stuff.

Always loved U-Turn as well. Made me want to be a screenwriter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Platoon is an absolute master piece, Iconic really and his best work imo,
    after all it was basically him played by charlie sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He also wrote Midnight Express, Conan the Barbarian, Scarface, Year of the Dragon & Evita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He has made some brilliant films .

I read his memoir, Chasing The Light ,recently and it is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Salvador in '86 to Nixon in '95 was an incredible run of films. Stone had trouble getting political films made after this and eventually anything at all, but there was some good films there too even if they lacked the vibrancy of his earlier work. His falling out with Robert Richardson, a key collaborator, was a big loss. Richardson went on be a regular collaborator of Scorsese and Tarantino and gotten several Oscar noms, but his best work was with Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

El Rifle wrote: »
    Great montage of my favourite Director, who I believe is the best to ever do it.

Ever do what, direct? He wouldn't be anywhere near the top 10 of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^ In your opinion.

Advertisement