Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO fibre optic broadband - when will it be available?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Our road along with lots of others around town, was wired for SIRO over the summer, by which I mean the overhead wire was installed from pole to pole but work seems to have stopped and the cables are coiled up on the poles and no further work has been done since mid-summer.

Does anyone know when it will be made available to homes?

There is information on the siro website apart from fluffy press release raiméis

Comments

What did they say when you contacted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

buzz11 wrote: »
    Our road along with lots of others around town, was wired for SIRO over the summer, by which I mean the overhead wire was installed from pole to pole but work seems to have stopped and the cables are coiled up on the poles and no further work has been done since mid-summer.

There is information on the siro website apart from fluffy press release raiméis

Same situation here.

There was some talk of a contract about changing the facade of the house that neighbours were urged to read carefully before agreeing to, but I never got it.
    Did you get a second contract to sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

What part of town are you in? I am in Shantalla and got connected to SIRO over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I signed up for the mail updates before it arrived to our street. In Feb, they put up the cables. At the start of May, they sent out the email to say "SIRO Gigabit 100% fibre broadband is coming to your rescue in the coming months." along with our address.

It is now nearly November but there is still no sign of this address becoming available on their website, or Airnets and digiwebs website.
    What part of town are you in? I am in Shantalla and got connected to SIRO over the summer.

Out of interest, did you get the email off them to say that it was coming to your address? If so, what was the timeline from the email to you being able to buy it?

I signed up for the mail updates before it arrived to our street. In Feb, they put up the cables. At the start of May, they sent out the email to say "SIRO Gigabit 100% fibre broadband is coming to your rescue in the coming months." along with our address.

It is now nearly November but there is still no sign of this address becoming available on their website, or Airnets and digiwebs website.

Out of interest, did you get the email off them to say that it was coming to your address? If so, what was the timeline from the email to you being able to buy it?

Yeah, I signed up for the email updates last year, once I got the email in July to say it was available I called Sky and got a TV/Broadband package from them, all was installed within two weeks.

I had seen the SIRO cabling around my area for a few weeks/months before I got the email, but I assume Corona slowed down the rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Salthill -- they installed the pole wiring during the spring lockdown so thought they'd continue at some point...

Whats the connection like? who did you have for BB before SIRO and is it any better?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Knocknacarra area: Ordered via Vodafone on a Friday & it was installed the following Wednesday.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Salthill -- they installed the pole wiring during the spring lockdown so thought they'd continue at some point...

Whats the connection like? who did you have for BB before SIRO and is it any better?

thanks!

We had Virgin Media in the house previously, with no phone line coming into the house Virgin was all we could get, and it was terrible.

Siro is way better, speed is much faster, also was able to get a Sky package so we have them for TV now, while paying 30 less a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yeah, I signed up for the email updates last year, once I got the email in July to say it was available I called Sky and got a TV/Broadband package from them, all was installed within two weeks.

I had seen the SIRO cabling around my area for a few weeks/months before I got the email, but I assume Corona slowed down the rollout.

Cheers! :) Corona must have slowed things down alright.
    Was it long before you received the "SIRO is Coming Soon to Your Address" before the email to say it was available? I received this email back at the start of May.

Advertisement