Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GEM 2022 : From Pharmacy to Medicine

Options
  • 26-10-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently a third year pharmacy student and I am interested in doing postgrad medicine in Ireland after I complete my bachelors degree.

What are some good resources for GAMSAT? I will most likely do the exam in September 2021 or March 2022

Also , is it worth doing postgrad medicine or would undergrad medicine be better?

I know undergrad medicine fees are 8k a year , compared to postgrad which vary from 14-16k a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

mimi903 wrote: »
    I am currently a third year pharmacy student and I am interested in doing postgrad medicine in Ireland after I complete my bachelors degree.

What are some good resources for GAMSAT? I will most likely do the exam in September 2021 or March 2022

Also , is it worth doing postgrad medicine or would undergrad medicine be better?

I know undergrad medicine fees are 8k a year , compared to postgrad which vary from 14-16k a year.

You need to factor in that a B.Pharm is next to worthless. An M.Pharm has huge earning potential especially in the summer where rates start at €40 and go up to €80 per hour & you can work whenever you feel like it. Having that earning potential in intern year too would be handy.

I'd sooner drop out now than finish the B.Pharm, yeah you'll get better therapy management then you'll ever get in med school or your career tbh but you'll save 2.5 years of fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mimi903

You need to factor in that a B.Pharm is next to worthless. An M.Pharm has huge earning potential especially in the summer where rates start at €40 and go up to €80 per hour & you can work whenever you feel like it. Having that earning potential in intern year too would be handy.

I'd sooner drop out now than finish the B.Pharm, yeah you'll get better therapy management then you'll ever get in med school or your career tbh but you'll save 2.5 years of fees.

Fees are not a problem as I earned an academic scholarship that covers fees for my undergrad years.
    I cant drop out as it will only give me the option of doing undergrad medicine which is 5 years
    So it would be preferable to complete an MPharm and then apply to Graduate entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chantelle242

mimi903 wrote: »
    Fees are not a problem as I earned an academic scholarship that covers fees for my undergrad years.
    I cant drop out as it will only give me the option of doing undergrad medicine which is 5 years
    So it would be preferable to complete an MPharm and then apply to Graduate entry?

Your fees are covered for the pharmacy degree but won't be for medicine which is €15,500 a year. If you complete your MPharm you could make a lot of money over the Summer to pay off the student debt and avoid taking out massive loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PyramidUp

Only you can make the decision, but with the information available from your post and my knowledge of classmates with pharmacy backgrounds - I would finish your pharm studies and then go to GEM if you want. You will easily be able to do 1/2 days a week earning up to €90 per hour gross while studying. I'm in Y4 of UL Med and there are a number of pharmacists in the class who are consistently working away while studying. The course is not as demanding as some make it out, especially if you are coming from pharm background.

Advertisement