Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know anyone that is oblivious to the world affairs/domestic affairs outside of

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

wally1990 wrote: »
    **outside of their own bubble**

I was speaking with a women from work (she is about 38-45 I'd say), who I normally don't ever speak with and it amazed me how just oblivious she was to most things as we ended up talking for ages on different things

I brought up in conversation about the current Chinese, USA trade war and she knew nothing about about it, fair enough (tough subject

Then I mentioned trump v Biden, she knew nothing about USA politics or who even Biden was or didn't know there was an election or how long trump is in power,

Then we were chatting about the hospital admission numbers and current covid in Ireland then she had no clue at all about the numbers, how like?!? Surely people talk to her about it or hear it on radio, TV, news, whatever

At this stage I thought this woman doesn't listen or follow any news or world politics and maybe purposely ignored it but the Irish ignorance shocked me

Then she was on about TV and I mentioned netflix, she never heard of it, I was like wtf, you never even heard of it?

It just got me thinking about people that live in their own bubble and go through life without wanting to or paying absolutely any attention to what is happening around them or in the world

People who ignore world news, domestic news, maybe advances in tech, whatever

Not knowing about US politics, covid nightmate, globalist corporatist ****ery, and much of the trash on Netflix....if I could I would pay a million euros to be that woman. What exactly do you or I benefit from being aware of this, other than misery and desperation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes. Eamon Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What's that thing nassim taleb said about not reading newspapers. The idea that if something actuary important happens you'll know about it by word of mouth soon enough.

Current affairs is a strange one. In some ways it's just pure entertainment but in others, it's good to feel connected to what is going on. But at the end of the day, on the individual level, it's just a hobby or pasttime.

Intelligence is so interesting. My sister has zero knowledge about most things going on but she is much smarter than me. I always though curiosity equaled intelligence but not necessarily.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Not knowing about US politics, covid nightmate, globalist corporatist ****ery, and much of the trash on Netflix....if I could I would pay a million euros to be that woman. What exactly do you or I benefit from being aware of this, other than misery and desperation?
    I know someone who went to Turkey during the worst time of the Erdogan crisis.

He was like ..I wanted a sun holiday why am in the middle of a war zone?

It will help you plan your finances better.

Obviously you don't plan on travelling much if you don't want to be informed of where you are going.

And it COULD be you if you want it to be. Just stop reading the stuff.

If you know how tax laws are likely to change somewhere ..you can prepare ...

It helps you when to know to sell your house ..or when not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ive never once paid any attey to these vivid numbers or the statistics.
    In fact back in April listening to others talking about them I hadn't a clue and genuinely no interest.

Yes, that was a bit of an odd one from OP. I have no clue about the numbers either other than they're going up drastically. I knew what the numbers were a few months ago, I just got tired of paying attention to them for 8 months at a time. What is there to know? The numbers are up a lot.

You know I bet what it is is the OP knows so little in general that he's staggered when it turns out that someone else didn't know something he does.

Imagine him sitting every day to diligently read the numbers, watching them go up and down and the admission rates go up and down thinking he is gaining some vital meaning from it, I guess some people have lots of time on their hands.

• Advertisement

Yes, that was a bit of an odd one from OP. I have no clue about the numbers either other than they're going up drastically. I knew what the numbers were a few months ago, I just got tired of paying attention to them for 8 months at a time. What is there to know? The numbers are up a lot.

You know I bet what it is is the OP knows so little in general that he's staggered when it turns out that someone else didn't know something he does.

Imagine him sitting every day to diligently read the numbers, watching them go up and down and the admission rates go up and down thinking he is gaining some vital meaning from it, I guess some people have lots of time on their hands.
    it took me three seconds to find out the cases were around 1000k today.

I am a quick thinker though ..i tend to be able to make sense of information quicker than others.

Maybe some people DO have to sit and read things over for hours. I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

unless I happen to see it here or what my wife might tell me I am one of those oblivious as the opening poster calls it.

I dont read newspapers, dont watch regular tv except netflix, and live darts....and watched the us presidential debate one night as i was bored
    Dont have a mobile phone, gave up voting, dont have a credit card dont want one either.

will read the forums,and the net on certain things but in general its because I dont really care about is happening in the world if its something I cannot control. No point in me getting bothered about the us president election when I have no say in the outcome, but have a fleeting interest out of curiosity, but wont lose any sleep who wins.

Same with Irish politics, they are all useless.
    Dont care about countless thingfor example take the GAA and as a corkman I cannot name a single player on the cork hurling or football team, dont know what the managers names are, what divisions they are in, ....I simply dont care,

I saw the name greta thumberg recently and had to google her, cos she popped up on some many discussions.
    My niece is amazed I have not heard of certain people that pass for musicians.,...again I dont care.

I have reached the stage in my life where I dont care about things I have no control over. If i see something on the tv I dont like or care about will turn it off.
    If the radio plays something I dont want to hear, will turn it off.
    Same with people if they bore me I will tell them I am not interested in the subject

unless I happen to see it here or what my wife might tell me I am one of those oblivious as the opening poster calls it.

I dont read newspapers, dont watch regular tv except netflix, and live darts....and watched the us presidential debate one night as i was bored
    Dont have a mobile phone, gave up voting, dont have a credit card dont want one either.

will read the forums,and the net on certain things but in general its because I dont really care about is happening in the world if its something I cannot control. No point in me getting bothered about the us president election when I have no say in the outcome, but have a fleeting interest out of curiosity, but wont lose any sleep who wins.

Same with Irish politics, they are all useless.
    Dont care about countless thingfor example take the GAA and as a corkman I cannot name a single player on the cork hurling or football team, dont know what the managers names are, what divisions they are in, ....I simply dont care,

I saw the name greta thumberg recently and had to google her, cos she popped up on some many discussions.
    My niece is amazed I have not heard of certain people that pass for musicians.,...again I dont care.

I have reached the stage in my life where I dont care about things I have no control over. If i see something on the tv I dont like or care about will turn it off.
    If the radio plays something I dont want to hear, will turn it off.
    Same with people if they bore me I will tell them I am not interested in the subject
    Brings pipe and slippers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I was speaking with a women from work (she is about 38-45 I'd say), who I normally don't ever speak with and it amazed me how just oblivious she was to most things as we ended up talking for ages on different things

I brought up in conversation about the current Chinese, USA trade war and she knew nothing about about it, fair enough (tough subject

Then I mentioned trump v Biden, she knew nothing about USA politics or who even Biden was or didn't know there was an election or how long trump is in power,

Then we were chatting about the hospital admission numbers and current covid in Ireland then she had no clue at all about the numbers, how like?!? Surely people talk to her about it or hear it on radio, TV, news, whatever

At this stage I thought this woman doesn't listen or follow any news or world politics and maybe purposely ignored it but the Irish ignorance shocked me

Then she was on about TV and I mentioned netflix, she never heard of it, I was like wtf, you never even heard of it?

It just got me thinking about people that live in their own bubble and go through life without wanting to or paying absolutely any attention to what is happening around them or in the world

maybe she was thinking '' here's that thick clown'' , i'll pretend to be thick rather than talk to that f...ing knowall .

My wife is a bit like that. She's just not interested.
    Sometimes it drives me mad. Sometimes I wish more people were interested only in baking lemon bread, helping children, and taking care of the well-being of their families, like she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think people who are obsessed with US Politics but show zero interest in domestic politics are worse.

Yeh it's gas isn't it, more juicy issues there like racial tension for them to get behind and act like it's personally affecting them

Anyway I think she was having you on OP. A woman in her 30's who's never even heard of netflix? Is she a mormon or Amish or something? Taking the piss outta ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

My wife is a bit like that. She's just not interested.
    Sometimes it drives me mad. Sometimes I wish more people were interested only in baking lemon bread, helping children, and taking care of the well-being of their families, like she is.

She sounds sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Maybe she just has a life and doesn't feel the need for TV/Netflix!

Maybe she just has enough to concern her within her own four walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

murpho999 wrote: »
    Some people just live in their own bubble.

I recently met someone who is 48 year old and had no idea that July 4th is American independence day. Found it bewildering as it's in news, films, books etc. How can you go through life and avoid that?

Because that person is thick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think people should care less about world politics and more about what is happening around them. The older I get the less I care about what is happening outside of Ireland. I reckon give it another ten years and I won't care about what is happening outside Kilkenny, possibly less time.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I was speaking with a women from work (she is about 38-45 I'd say), who I normally don't ever speak with and it amazed me how just oblivious she was to most things I spend my time onas we ended up talking for ages on different things
    Fixed your post. NOBODY knows everything, or has the capacity to care about everything. We all have bubbles. You have yours. There's no reason why yours is more important or worthwhile than hers.

So to summarise: OP starts thread claiming that anyone who isn't exactly like them must be closed minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what gets me is people who couldnt point out any country on a map or that dont know common knowledge things we all learned in school. like did they never listen or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what gets me is people who couldnt point out any country on a map or that dont know common knowledge things we all learned in school. like did they never listen or what?

If they went to school in my time, there were no special needs assistants. Looking back I can recognise a few who were called thick, but probably suffered from dyslexia and/or dyscalculia. I was OK with English, sums and geography, but useless at art and woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

ive started distancing myself away from a mate who keeps trying to bring trump and occasionally Boris into every conversation - on a night out, he'd try to turn the conversation towards them, when your going out for the pints with the lads, you dont want to give a **** about them...once i liked a meme taking the piss out of biden and he rings me urgently asking was i a trump fan (before anyone says it - no i am not) ...christ im/others are tired of his obsession, pity his poor missus but she's too busy trying to be an influencer and has him as a camera man

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I have a couple of teenage nieces and nephews who don't seem to have a clue about what's going on in the world outside their own teenage bubble. They seem to have very little general knowledge, political, historical etc. They wouldn't be aware of the likes of the beatles, Hitler or jfk.
    We were playing charades last Xmas and I did 'the Angelus' for my turn. They looked at me like I had two heads, never heard of it.
    Their gran offered them a slice of rhubarb pie and again not a clue what rhubarb was.
    Nephew got a dog for birthday, and I joked when I was his age I had to walk the plank everyday as we couldn't afford a dog. Joke fell totally flat.
    Sometimes I question the government's insistence on keeping schools open at all costs if this is what the result is 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The weird thing I find is those people who seem to know every twist and turn to any development or happening. They seem to be experts on the housing crisis, clerical abuse, US elections, the conflict in Armenia, global warming, pandemics, the pros and cons of vaccinations, the dangers of big pharma, the threat of big tech, water charges. You name it they will have some sort of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There's a gimp at work that thinks pushing political topics into work conversations is somehow intellectual when its a quite common thing to do.
    He is a typical middle-aged sad-sack - he wears that Northface crap and ostensibly reads books in the canteen. Thick rimmed glasses on the prig completes the gimpyness

ive started distancing myself away from a mate who keeps trying to bring trump and occasionally Boris into every conversation - on a night out, he'd try to turn the conversation towards them, when your going out for the pints with the lads, you dont want to give a **** about them...once i liked a meme taking the piss out of biden and he rings me urgently asking was i a trump fan (before anyone says it - no i am not) ...christ im/others are tired of his obsession, pity his poor missus but she's too busy trying to be an influencer and has him as a camera man[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,405 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah, defeating that alien invasion truly is a cause for celebration.

Well I'd say she probably knows that crappy film alright but how can you not make the link of the date?

Nah, you want a healthy mix of ****e talk and "intellectual" talk. 60:40 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,405 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

GarIT wrote: »
    Voting is virtually pointless, the only impactful thing you can do is convince others how to vote.

I also doing get all the people encouraging others to vote. Unless you can be sure the group you are talking to mostly think the same as you then you should be encouraging as many people as possible not to vote.

But voting is not pointless.

I learnt that in Divorce referendum in 95. Yes motion was pretty much carried by one extra yes vote in each ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I think one of the best things you can do for your mental health and happiness is to stop consuming news media, delete all the breaking news apps etc. I say that as a former journalist who globe trotted following the depressing story du jour, from camping outside Westminster waiting for the latest Brexit update to interviewing eye witnesses after the terror attack in the Bataclan in Paris.

News is inherently depressing, catastrophic and cyclical. Consuming too much of it gives you a distorted sense of the world, a sense of doom and perpetual "what's next."I got all that in my career and eventually de-sensitisation and numbing set in. I couldn't connect or empathise with any of it. Would roll my eyes at the latest global disaster.

My sister is willingly ignorant to news and current affairs. Wasn't aware Leo is no longer the Taoiseach until last week. Used to think "Al Jazeera" is a country. She's also a medical professional in a very specialised area, so pretty smart and competent generally. Just doesn't give a flying shyte about what Boris is up to or what the current infection rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nice to see some of the understanding replies here.

I do wonder sometimes when I look at or read the news - what the hell is the point?! I mean, there is almost nothing going on that's going to be of benefit for me to know, at least not that I couldn't know elsewhere. Irish politics in particular I only feel a sort of obligation to be familiar with it.

I'm not saying there is no point, I'm just raising the possibility. What if you were like that Playstation girl who didn't know where Phibsborough was (which I don't btw, but I'm not from Dublin).

What if you read the paper for two weeks every year? You'd see about Trump, you'd see about Covid, and so on.

I have no radio, TV or newspapers. I read the news here maybe 2-3 times a day. It is enough. More than enough. There have been times in my life when I have been totally immersed in other things and then got totally shocked by an imminent world disaster. I remember especially in 1962 when I was at university and studying in the Union near the street window. A demo came along the road and I had to ask what it was.

The Cuban crisis and there was a very real possibility the bombs were going to start imminently … Total shock and since then I have kept up even cursorily. No real interest in politics etc and I have not heard of most if any of the " famous names" that get bandied around here, and feel no need to. No interest in sport either... Each to his or her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I completely switched off from American politics a long time ago. I know the election is next week, but I don't care whether Reagan or Mondale wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pgj2015 wrote: »

Tbf I'd be pretty ropey on many of the -stans, the small countries east of say Poland, much of Africa esp the smaller ones, and South America.

A fair whack of countries that were around in school are called something else now!

Advertisement