Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know anyone that is oblivious to the world affairs/domestic affairs outside of

Options
  • 25-10-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

**outside of their own bubble**

I was speaking with a women from work (she is about 38-45 I'd say), who I normally don't ever speak with and it amazed me how just oblivious she was to most things as we ended up talking for ages on different things

I brought up in conversation about the current Chinese, USA trade war and she knew nothing about about it, fair enough (tough subject

Then I mentioned trump v Biden, she knew nothing about USA politics or who even Biden was or didn't know there was an election or how long trump is in power,

Then we were chatting about the hospital admission numbers and current covid in Ireland then she had no clue at all about the numbers, how like?!? Surely people talk to her about it or hear it on radio, TV, news, whatever

At this stage I thought this woman doesn't listen or follow any news or world politics and maybe purposely ignored it but the Irish ignorance shocked me

Then she was on about TV and I mentioned netflix, she never heard of it, I was like wtf, you never even heard of it?

It just got me thinking about people that live in their own bubble and go through life without wanting to or paying absolutely any attention to what is happening around them or in the world

People who ignore world news, domestic news, maybe advances in tech, whatever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did you ask her about Madeleine McCann?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't know them but I wish I was one of them.

There is so much sh1t the megacorps throw at us and so much nonsense the government tries to get us worked up about that you're better off not knowing. Perhaps move to Antarctica or some place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Did you ask her about Madeleine McCann?

Who

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Some people just live in their own bubble.

I recently met someone who is 48 year old and had no idea that July 4th is American independence day. Found it bewildering as it's in news, films, books etc. How can you go through life and avoid that?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

What did she mention watching on TV? It would be interesting to know what she is familiar with.

• Advertisement

I think people who are obsessed with US Politics but show zero interest in domestic politics are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The last four years the media have been talking about brexit with countless 'informed' people giving their opinion, treading the same ground over and over. I feel no more informed having listened to them for who knows how many hours. Does anyone actually know what is going to happen?

Covid feels similar, same items in the news every day. Why would I want to listen to hourly updates of how bad things are and the constant fearmongering? I know some people that listen to every news broadcast and they think the sky is falling down.

And why are Irish media obsessed with Donald Trump and the US election? I'm sick hearing about it. I get it, he's a horrible person who should be nowhere near the oval office but how does it benefit me or our populace to hear about him nearly every day?

I used to question people that were ignorant of news and current affiars the same way you do but I'm beginning to think maybe they're not so wrong and ignorance really is bliss. If it doesn't affect them or they can't implement change do they really need to listen to constant misery updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Are you sure she wasn't taking the Mick out of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't know them but I wish I was one of them.

There is so much sh1t the megacorps throw at us and so much nonsense the government tries to get us worked up about that you're better off not knowing. Perhaps move to Antarctica or some place
    She is probably much more content in her life than us information junkies constantly looking for an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Is she hot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Is she hot?

About time jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

She is probably much more content in her life than us information junkies constantly looking for an update.

Exactly - thought the same thing . My mother was a bit like that when she was alive . Real family person warm hearted , the things that mattered to her were very important and people loved her . She hadn’t a notion of world politics and didn’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

most people are if you scratch the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I stopped listening to the news the last 4 days, I feel way better because of it. The media and government just want us to be scared the whole time, terrorists, brexit, covid, there is always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i know fellas who could take every part out of a car and put it back together perfectly , same fellas couldnt show you where america is on a map or perhaps even ireland

some people have a small parish - world mentality , they are no worse for it and dont struggle anymore with life than most people , just how they are

my mother listens to the radio all day and is fairly clued in about irish domestic affairs but has zero interest in current affairs beyond these shores , wouldnt have a clue about whats happening in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I follow the news, I get annoyed, I have ideas on how to fix things, I say them on boards, it doesn't do anything ,I have no impact on the world. Sometimes I obsess over things wrong with the country or the world, it ruins my day.

I've come to learn; ignorance is bliss. Following the news won't help me one bit and not keeping up with it won't affect me negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, it sounds like your work colleague is just not interested in current affairs. There is quite a large cohort of people like that. Some would probably know every contestant of Love Island by name but wouldn't know who the president or taoiseach is.

I'd just let each to their own and wouldn't judge someone about it as it just comes across condescending. We're all different and just because someone isn't well up on US/ Chinese trade talks (in fairness, I'm fairly well read and consume a lot of news but wouldn't be au fait about that particular topic either so I wouldn't dismiss someone because they didn't have the latest scoop on that), doesn't mean they don't have other worthwhile interests outside of reciting the daily COVID stats per country or whether Biden's son could jeopardize his chances of winning the US election.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think people who are obsessed with US Politics but show zero interest in domestic politics are worse.
    There's a special place in hell for those who get worked up about politics but don't actually vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There's a special place in hell for those who get worked up about politics but don't actually vote.

Voting is virtually pointless, the only impactful thing you can do is convince others how to vote.

I also doing get all the people encouraging others to vote. Unless you can be sure the group you are talking to mostly think the same as you then you should be encouraging as many people as possible not to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

It’s a rare thing these days but not so long ago it was good manners to keep your politics to yourself. Maybe she is just old school that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

wally1990 wrote: »
    **outside of their own bubble**

I was speaking with a women from work (she is about 38-45 I'd say), who I normally don't ever speak with and it amazed me how just oblivious she was to most things as we ended up talking for ages on different things

I brought up in conversation about the current Chinese, USA trade war and she knew nothing about about it, fair enough (tough subject

Then I mentioned trump v Biden, she knew nothing about USA politics or who even Biden was or didn't know there was an election or how long trump is in power,

Then we were chatting about the hospital admission numbers and current covid in Ireland then she had no clue at all about the numbers, how like?!? Surely people talk to her about it or hear it on radio, TV, news, whatever

At this stage I thought this woman doesn't listen or follow any news or world politics and maybe purposely ignored it but the Irish ignorance shocked me

Then she was on about TV and I mentioned netflix, she never heard of it, I was like wtf, you never even heard of it?

It just got me thinking about people that live in their own bubble and go through life without wanting to or paying absolutely any attention to what is happening around them or in the world

People who ignore world news, domestic news, maybe advances in tech, whatever

And she's probably a lot happier than most of us for it. Wish I could be that clued out.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GarIT wrote: »
    Voting is virtually pointless, the only impactful thing you can do is convince others how to vote.
    and that can be instantly undermined by pointing out they don't vote themselves

BTW Michael Finucane the TD for the Limerick West lost his seat by one vote in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Nice to see some of the understanding replies here.

I do wonder sometimes when I look at or read the news - what the hell is the point?! I mean, there is almost nothing going on that's going to be of benefit for me to know, at least not that I couldn't know elsewhere. Irish politics in particular I only feel a sort of obligation to be familiar with it.

I'm not saying there is no point, I'm just raising the possibility. What if you were like that Playstation girl who didn't know where Phibsborough was (which I don't btw, but I'm not from Dublin).

What if you read the paper for two weeks every year? You'd see about Trump, you'd see about Covid, and so on.

It’s a rare thing these days but not so long ago it was good manners to keep your politics to yourself. Maybe she is just old school that way

I feign complete disinterest apart from with a couple of people whose opinions I'm interested in. The main person I would ever discuss politics with is a Brexit-voter so that's not even me looking for an echo chamber either. I basically only care to talk to people who form their own opinions.

OP, you brought up a US-China trade war with a women who clearly has no interest in politics. That screams autism to be honest. That is a sub-topic you move onto; you don't just bring it up.. It's a conversation about complex tariffs. Then you moved onto an election in another country involving a man most people hate the sight of and would rather ignore. The actual electoral process itself means nothing to Irish people. Then you brought up Covid-19, a depressing topic where keeping up to date on hospital figures changes nothing about one's life. And when she started talking about something she liked, you had to bring up a modern form of media mostly used by young people, instead of just talking about TV with her for a while. It's all about you and what you want to talk about.

Honestly, it just sounds like you're extremely bad at conversation and cannot talk to someone unless it is current events. That's around the same level of conversation as people who can only talk about football. Instead of repeatedly pushing current affairs on someone who either doesn't care or doesn't care to talk about them with you, find out what actual things she's into.

It's the most unnatural thing in the world for people to know what's happening outside of their immediate tribe, so don't be surprised when people, especially with the shltshow that is the media nowadays, to go back to basics like to their immediate surroundings and storytelling ie. TV shows and books. We're not meant to know about scandals across oceans, and it's clear the vast majority of people who get into this stuff are negatively impacted by it. We're not made for this level of information you bemoan she doesn't have, and we never will be. I know plenty like her and they're all the happier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Most people are idiots, interest in current affairs or not. Be prepared to be disappointed..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let us know how the second date goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

murpho999 wrote: »
    I recently met someone who is 48 year old and had no idea that July 4th is American independence day. Found it bewildering as it's in news, films, books etc.

Yeah, defeating that alien invasion truly is a cause for celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't, but I envy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

I remember when I'd just finished my masters (living in the UK) and the 2010 election was coming around, I was quite surprised to find out Gordon Brown was the PM and not Tony Blair. That particular piece of news, along with basically all other world news I guess, passed me by in my uni years.

I imagine people of that age today would be more difficult to be oblivious in a world of increasing Climate Change, Brexit, Trump and of course Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ive never once paid any attey to these vivid numbers or the statistics.
    In fact back in April listening to others talking about them I hadn't a clue and genuinely no interest.

I can't bother listening to the news on rte radio. It's be brutally depressing. Rte seem to be glorying in their relaying of the virus, it's effects, sob stories, deaths etc. I can survive really well not knowing.

I know about the election in the usa. Even understand the voting. I hope trump wins. He hasn't done a bad job and if pi$$ing off the left is all he's done in done opinions, then that's not a bad days work.

Advertisement