Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help.

The plastic connector piece on the Holder Pan of my 4 year old HD9240/90 has almost broken off, the holes the screws go into have broken on one side and I'm not confident the other side, which is now taking all the pressure, will hold out much longer.

Any suggestions for a fix or replacement of that part or do I have to source an entire new Holder Pan?

Apologies for the image sizes, don't know how to scale them down :o

BlDIJCZ.jpg

cxPKkjM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

rubadub wrote: »
    I like these cheap tesco ones.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271024465

have to be the battered ones, the breaded ones are crap. They are very often sold out as they are so cheap. There are several items tesco have which are unusually cheap and sell out fast, they are apparently only there so they appear cheap in grocery price comparisons. I had aldis similar ones and was not impressed. I think these tesco ones are on a par with birds eye dippers.

I do for 10-12mins with no preheat at 200C and do not bother turning. I do up to 10 at a time and they can all lay down flat with that amount, no overlapping.

If I wanted to pass them off as mcds I would brush with oil or toss them in oil half way through and cook at maybe 160-180C for a bit longer, mcds are not as brown as what comes out at 200C

Tried these last night and they're gorgeous!
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Cooked in the oven though not air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »
    Tried these last night and they're gorgeous!.
    if they are sold out next time do not get the breaded ones I warned against! the packs look so similar you would think its a minor change but they are appalling!

I did them (the battered ones) at 160C for ~14mins and they did turn out more like mcdonalds ones as I expected, at 200C they are much browner & crisper which I prefer if using a thick sauce.

The UK tesco site has reviews and comments which is handy, many also saying these are like mcdonalds and the only complaints seem to be about there being less than 20 in the bag. Stuff like this is sold by weight so it does not bother me, but if people are portioning out to kids it would be annoying.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271024465

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

hi would you fit a 2kg chicken in it please.
    I saw it in my local SV and considered getting it
    rob316 wrote: »

Would the Cosori Airfryer be a better option than a Mini Oven.

I'm weighing it up against this Laptronix Mini Oven.
    https://whichcooker.com/best-mini-ovens/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would the Cosori Airfryer be a better option than a Mini Oven.

I'm weighing it up against this Laptronix Mini Oven.
    https://whichcooker.com/best-mini-ovens/
    Airfryers and mini ovens coming up in Lidl.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Airfryers and mini ovens coming up in Lidl.

In your opinion which type is better in general.

I'm hoping to pick either up during Amazon Primes sale today or tomorrow.

Id say airfryer tbh, I dont even use ovens anymore, its airfryer for everything, well maybe the odd roast chicken but lots of people do those in their big airfryers aswell. Mini ovens were always a bit of a joke for students/houseshares werent they? Maybe they've improved.

Id say airfryer tbh, I dont even use ovens anymore, its airfryer for everything, well maybe the odd roast chicken but lots of people do those in their big airfryers aswell. Mini ovens were always a bit of a joke for students/houseshares werent they? Maybe they've improved.

The oven in our cooker is broke. For what it will cost to fix I thought a Mini Oven or fryer might be better option.

There's a Tefal EY in Amazon warehouse for 20% off, down from around 80 to 60. Does it compare to an actifryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say avoid the Tefal, especially if it is one with the rotating paddle as people complained they broke a lot. A proper air fryer would be better than a mini oven IMO, airfryers heat up a lot quicker as they are smaller and they cook food quicker too as the air circulates all around them.

You can get one of the cheaper airfryer models like Tower for around 50-60 quid or a Philips for about 100-120 but usually discounted to about 80-90 on Black Friday in a few weeks time. Ive a Philips 3 years now and its going grand but if it broke in the morning Id probably just get a Power airfryer as airfryers are all pretty much the same anyway. Just make sure you are getting the right size for the amount of people you are cooking for, if 1-2 the standard sizes are fine but if three people or more you would need an XL version

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id say avoid the Tefal, especially if it is one with the rotating paddle as people complained they broke a lot. A proper air fryer would be better than a mini oven IMO, airfryers heat up a lot quicker as they are smaller and they cook food quicker too as the air circulates all around them.

You can get one of the cheaper airfryer models like Tower for around 50-60 quid or a Philips for about 100-120 but usually discounted to about 80-90 on Black Friday in a few weeks time. Ive a Philips 3 years now and its going grand but if it broke in the morning Id probably just get a Power airfryer as airfryers are all pretty much the same anyway. Just make sure you are getting the right size for the amount of people you are cooking for, if 1-2 the standard sizes are fine but if three people or more you would need an XL version

Thanks,
    I got the Corsori 5L just before closing. It hadn't come down since opening. Started at rp100 reduced to 80 so I got it for €80.

For those that are looking for reviews I found this woman credible. She has authored two recipe books for them.

Her written reviews
    https://twosleevers.com/best-air-fryer-reviews/#

Her YouTube reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Twosleevers

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I like these cheap tesco ones.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271024465

have to be the battered ones, the breaded ones are crap. They are very often sold out as they are so cheap. There are several items tesco have which are unusually cheap and sell out fast, they are apparently only there so they appear cheap in grocery price comparisons. I had aldis similar ones and was not impressed. I think these tesco ones are on a par with birds eye dippers.

I do for 10-12mins with no preheat at 200C and do not bother turning. I do up to 10 at a time and they can all lay down flat with that amount, no overlapping.

If I wanted to pass them off as mcds I would brush with oil or toss them in oil half way through and cook at maybe 160-180C for a bit longer, mcds are not as brown as what comes out at 200C
    These are really like McDs nuggets actually, would be great to have a bag in the freezer for after the pub, if we still had pubs :(

I got those battered chicken dippers in Tesco, they are nice enough but I think just a bit too oily or something. Not sure Id buy them again but if they were for eating after a few pints I wouldnt say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

These are really like McDs nuggets actually, would be great to have a bag in the freezer for after the pub, if we still had pubs :(

Tried them myself this weekend with the kids as a 9pm snack—- with an eggcup each of Chillie sauce, Reggae Reggae BBQ sauce and a Mayonnaise sauces.

Went down a treat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks,
    I got the Corsori 5L just before closing. It hadn't come down since opening. Started at rp100 reduced to 80 so I got it for €80.

For those that are looking for reviews I found this woman credible. She has authored two recipe books for them.

Her written reviews
    https://twosleevers.com/best-air-fryer-reviews/#

Her YouTube reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Twosleevers

I got the Cosori a few months back, its streets ahead of the Philips IMO. So easy to clean too, the wire basket in the Philips constantly built up in crude at the edge.

rob316 wrote: »
    I got the Cosori a few months back, its streets ahead of the Philips IMO. So easy to clean too, the wire basket in the Philips constantly built up in crude at the edge.

That's good to know.

Mine has arrived.

How should these be cleaned to remove Coronavirus if present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Tried these last night and they're gorgeous!
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Cooked in the oven though not air fryer.

did you just do these in the oven as per pack guidelines? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

snowgal wrote: »
    did you just do these in the oven as per pack guidelines? Thanks

Yes just followed the instructions and turned halfway through.
    Very nice!

I'm just getting used to using the Cosori Airfryer.

Can a full dinner of Bacon, Cabbage, spuds and parsley sauce be reheated in it?

If so, would the food have to emptied from the plate into the basket? Id imagine this would be very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I finally got around to using my Philips air from Amazon warehouse. The condition was 'good' and it looked more or less unused. Not sure it's working properly though, I can't hear any fan or anything (it's completely silent) but seems to be heating up. Should the play/pause light be flashing? Should it be louder? It's the Avant XL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's the one I have and it should definitely make a noise. The whole point of Airfryers is the air being blown around at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks, that's what I thought. Back it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Hi all
    Looking for some help please. I've searched all reviews and read these thread but still none the wiser. Which of these would be best for family of 5? Ease or use/cleaning and cooking wise Please:

Ninja Air Fryer Max [AF160UK] 5.2 Litres

ninja af100uk 3.8l air fryer

COSORI Smart WiFi Air Fryer 5.5L

Power Air Fryer XL 5.0 Litre

Philips Premium Collection XXL Airfryer

damo80 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Looking for some help please. I've searched all reviews and read these thread but still none the wiser. Which of these would be best for family of 5? Ease or use/cleaning and cooking wise Please:

5 litre will be too small. I have the regular 5L Corsori(no WiFi). It's good but you will have to cook twice for a family of 5. .

You will need 10+ litres in my opinion.

5 litre will be too small. I have the regular 5L Corsori(no WiFi). It's good but you will have to cook twice for a family of 5. .

You will need 10+ litres in my opinion.

Thanks for that. (At the moment it's 3+2 19month olds so 10 maybe too big for now) If I were to go with any of the above which is the best? I.e. would the philips be better then the ninja af100

Thanks for that. (At the moment it's 3+2 19month olds so 10 maybe too big for now) If I were to go with any of the above which is the best? I.e. would the philips be better then the ninja af100

I have only used the Corsori.. Some other posters might be able to advise but I think they all function the same..

If you do get the Corsori get the 6 piece accessories set as well.

When your reviewing them try and get one with a shelf or a shelf accessory. It makes it easier to cook foods evenly rather than stacking food on top of one another.

Hi all

I would get the biggest one you can so avoid the 3.8l one. A 5l one will be able to cook a large chicken in it or a lot of chips, chicken nuggets, etc. As your kids are young it should do the trick but if you were cooking for 5 adults you would need a second airfryer.

Some might be easier to clean than others but Im not sure, you could look at the questions and answers section on Amazon which might help you find out. Apart from that they are all much the same, its a chamber with forced hot air blowing around it. The Power brand seems to be about 30-40% cheaper than Philips so if budget is a consideration then that might be the one to go for.

Be aware that Black Friday isnt far away and airfryers tend to always drop in price around this time, a regular sized Philips will drop from about 120 down to 80 or 90. Id expect discounts on the Ninji brand too. Not sure about Power as they already are pretty cheap. If you want to save try using the Keepa extension for Chrome/Firefox and you can set that on the Amazon product page to alert you by email when it drops to the price you want it to.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I would get the biggest one you can so avoid the 3.8l one. A 5l one will be able to cook a large chicken in it or a lot of chips, chicken nuggets, etc. As your kids are young it should do the trick but if you were cooking for 5 adults you would need a second airfryer.

Some might be easier to clean than others but Im not sure, you could look at the questions and answers section on Amazon which might help you find out. Apart from that they are all much the same, its a chamber with forced hot air blowing around it. The Power brand seems to be about 30-40% cheaper than Philips so if budget is a consideration then that might be the one to go for.

Be aware that Black Friday isnt far away and airfryers tend to always drop in price around this time, a regular sized Philips will drop from about 120 down to 80 or 90. Id expect discounts on the Ninji brand too. Not sure about Power as they already are pretty cheap. If you want to save try using the Keepa extension for Chrome/Firefox and you can set that on the Amazon product page to alert you by email when it drops to the price you want it to.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Gonna wait till BF alright just doing me homework in advance 😜 thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Right I think I'm about to finally take the plunge and buy one.

One of the complaints I see in reviews generally is them over heating and melting plugs and counter tops.

Any experience with this and tips to avoid?

Oh and if you want to recommend your brand to me please do. I'm cooking for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I didnt buy one after seeing it in Dunnes. I think it was a tower. It was about €40. Way too small even for one person. I would recommend buying a large one. There was also one for sale in Lidl, essentially a halogen lamp in a glorified casserole dish- glad I didnt buy that either.

My advice would be buy the largest capacity you can especially if more than one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

This is the one I was referring to. Way too small in my opinion

Advertisement