Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize bonds query

Options
  • 26-10-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi, probably a dumb question, but am considering putting €5k into prize bonds.

Is my €5k always safe and will never depreciate? And, do I just need to wait 90 days before I decide I want to withdraw my money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Barney224 wrote: »
    Hi, probably a dumb question, but am considering putting €5k into prize bonds.

Is my €5k always safe and will never depreciate? And, do I just need to wait 90 days before I decide I want to withdraw my money?

How would it depreciate? Via inflation? It would be no different to you storing it under your mattress/leaving it in your bank account.

They're 100% safe and backed by the state.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    How would it depreciate? Via inflation? It would be no different to you storing it under your mattress/leaving it in your bank account.

Actually with the introduction of negative interest rates it is no longer the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

A non-serious reply:

Imagine negative interest applied to prize bonds. A few unfortunates every month would have their bond cancelled when its number is drawn as the "winner". All other bonds continue with no charge.

Advertisement