Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 48 issues

Options
  • 23-10-2020 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I recently installed a Zgemma H7s (Thanks Gerry Wicklow for the recommendation) with an old sky dish and a terrestrial aerial. Generally there is no problem except when the weather turns bad, which, as I live in Galway, is likely to be the case for the next few months. In good weather I have no problem getting the terrestrial channels on both 46 and 48, however, in bad weather, the channels on 48 are unwatchable while those on 46 are still clear.
    Does anyone have any idea why I would have problems with 48 and not 46?

Thanks in advance,
    RN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

I would say aerial, can you look under sgnal finder and check signal strength on both. It might just need a tweak on aerial or a booster or the correct aerial. Is it in attic or outdoors?

I use 46 and 48 in clare with outside aerial and booster, but lots of trees around me. I still get 100. Good cable is important as well.

There is a booster in ennistymon but may not suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Thanks Swoofer. Would the aerial not impact both 46 and 48 in the same way?
    Aerial is outside

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

46 might disappear at times when you are not watching. As suggested look at the signal strength on both. There are regular posts here about various transmitters where one frequency is "perfect" and the other one no signal. Perfect might just be a little bit above no signal.

Thats the idea of having a look in signal finder. And yes aerial can be an issue. Did you look on saorview site and see how far you are from transmitter and any obstacles in the way?

For what its worth this is the aerial I got and mounted it on pole above sat dish but with a booster ie masthead amp.

https://www.freetv.ie/aerial-for-saorview/

I have the same aerial!

The transmitter is 36 km away, there are a few houses in the estate blocking absolute line of sight. Every time I try to tweak from current position the SNR goes down.
    If the weather is reasonable over the weekend I will try again.

Thanks for all your help

• Advertisement

This is the masthead amp I got and I send it to a three way splitter but splitter is very close to amp. And it works a treat.

This is the amp.

PROception UHF TV Masthead Amplifier 27dB 1 Way High

ok

Its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

swoofer wrote: »
    Thats the idea of having a look in signal finder. And yes aerial can be an issue. Did you look on saorview site and see how far you are from transmitter and any obstacles in the way?

For what its worth this is the aerial I got and mounted it on pole above sat dish but with a booster ie masthead amp.

https://www.freetv.ie/aerial-for-saorview/

Another lying aerial advert. That is an 8 element aerial. They have counted the directors 4 times and the one reflector 8 times.

swoofer wrote: »
    This is the masthead amp I got and I send it to a three way splitter but splitter is very close to amp. And it works a treat.

This is the amp.

PROception UHF TV Masthead Amplifier 27dB 1 Way High

ok

Its worth it.

I'll have a look and see what I can get. Thanks again
    Rn

Advertisement