Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The fact he was outstriking Justin, he could shoot whenever but he doesn't even have to worry about anything in there whereas the opener always has to be weary of the takedown. Justin was hurt and wrecked before the TD so he was done. Just unreal performance.

Three tony fight night be tempting but at this stage, o don't give Tony a chance even i would have favoured him before. He won't go up a weight and now with this promise, he won't be back.

Goddamn he's an animal.

He beat him on the feet like he was a red headed step child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

eagle eye wrote: »
    He's up there but never faced really too class fighters.
    If he'd moved up to welter and won the belt there I'd agree that he's be the goat.

Like he has a huge size advantage at lightweight.

Tripe, Conor, Dustin and Justin are all champions and the cream of the crop.

All tapped out and destroyed.

George, Anderson or Jon never moved up in their prime either.

He mauled Conor and dropped him.

True. But I still think he is the only fighter at 155 that might cause some problems.

There's nobody at LW make an interesting fight. Was taking the piss earlier about mma retirements - I genuinely think he's done.

Could only see Usman or GSP (if he's anything left) threatening him and only GSP would be a big enough fight to have a hope of bringing him back. Sunny think we'll see him though.

I think it was sincere. He wont be back. You don't see him falling out of nightclubs with a slapper on his arm. He isn't in it for the twine.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Tripe, Conor, Dustin and Justin are all champions and the cream of the crop.

All tapped out and destroyed.

George, Anderson or Jon never moved up in their prime either.

100%

No one is that lucky. He put manners on them all. Hes a bad bad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just non stop pressure, the absolute P4P number 1. Good to see him go out on top as he deserves, nothing left to prove.

Dominance

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Gaetje was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He was blowing after 30 seconds.

Makes you wonder, how good mcgregor actually did against khabib doesn't it

True. But I still think he is the only fighter at 155 that might cause some problems.

But he didn't. Like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Also, contrary to a lot of the "he beat him on the feet" comments I think the stats were something like 24-22 in Khabib's favour in the first round, but Gaethje landed the best shots. A couple of huge lefts landed but khabib walked through the them.

Disagree that Gaethje was ****ed. Sure he looks like that in every single fight, albeit that was surely the most pressure he's ever been under.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very impressive win.

A busted McGregor gave him more of a fight than any of his recent opponents.

Well Al Iaquinta took him the distance a few months before that fight so no he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wow, crazy fight, Khabib has a solid fcuking chin.

Constant forward pressure stopped the leg kick game plan, tho those kicks were doing damage.

Justin was gassed I'm the first, he just couldn't catch his breathe, started swinging wildly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gaetje was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He was blowing after 30 seconds.

Khabib wanted to end that quick tonight being the difference.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Javier Mendez said as much, that McGregor gave him trouble, but it wasn't a close fight at the same time.

He was just dominated to a lesser degree.

Also, contrary to a lot of the "he beat him on the feet" comments I think the stats were something like 24-22 in Khabib's favour in the first round, but Gaethje landed the best shots. A couple of huge lefts landed but khabib walked through the them.
    Aye, without the takedown it was probably Gaethje's round.
    Disagree that Gaethje was ****ed. Sure he looks like that in every single fight, albeit that was surely the most pressure he's ever been under.
    True but other fighters tend to slow down to match. Khabib slowing down is still relentless compared to just about anyone else.

Khabib has a great chin on him . He's just a lump of granite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Well he is what 1 of only 2 fighters to last more than 3 rounds against khabib?

Let's be honest though mac never wins that fight unless he Aldo's it.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    I think it was sincere. He wont be back. You don't see him falling out of nightclubs with a slapper on his arm. He isn't in it for the twine.

I think a lot of MMA retirements are sincere in the moment (not Cejudo's lol) but they get tempted back, either by the money (most cases), a love of fighting (fewer alright) or a genuine desire to chase something really great (GSP).

I could see GSP coming back again if there was a mega fight and he felt it would add something to his legacy. I could see Khabib looking at the same fight and shrugging his shoulders.

All fur coat and no knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Justin looked like he had an adrenaline dump to me.

Breathing heavy early and was putting way too much on his shots. Think the occasion got to him.

Winner of Conor v Dustin should fight Justin for the vacant title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Khabib is the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Khabib wanted to end that quick tonight being the difference.
    Bull

Thought he retired anyway? Some clown.

Aye, without the takedown it was probably Gaethje's round.

Takedown that doesn't lead to meaningful offense doesn't score, or shouldn't score. I thought it was a pretty even round, damage right the same but Khabib's pressure probably took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Guaranteed Dustin nd conor will be for vacant title. Conor will win and refuse to defend it, so he has to be stripped again. Conor should never be allowed next a near a belt again

If you think he has retired then I have a pouch of magic beans I'd like to sell you. This is basically him telling Dana White to pay him serious money for his last ever fight. His father said he wanted him to retire at 30-0 so he will retire at 30-0. He will be using this to leverage GSP or McGregor to essentially outbid each other money wise when it comes to PPV points. Dana was talking about Ferguson or Chandler being no.1 contender if they fight which I don't think Khabib will be going for. Ferguson coming off a KO loss to the guy you just beat handily is not a great ending to your fight record and a Bellator fighter who got knocked out by a FW not long ago isn't close to being good enough either.

It will be GSP or McGregor. One gives Khabib a rubber stamp of GOAT and the other gives you the biggest PPV fight of all time, not just in MMA, but quite possibly boxing also. I'd say it would reach 4 million buys if they rematch.

Khabib isn't done, unless his father told him to quit after his next fight while on his deathbed and Khabib is keeping that private then I think he will fight one final time. This just gives him all the leverage against the UFC and possibly Mcgregor/GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TRANQUILLO wrote:
    Thought he retired anyway? Some clown.
    So he says something nice and he's a clown?
    You are unbelievable.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Winner of Conor v Dustin should fight Justin for the vacant title.

Ferguson deserves to be in the mix as well. I'll believe McGregor Vs Poirier when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

would love to have seen a third or fourth round
    the pace khabib was fighting at was ridiculous

so now we have a vacant belt and it would only seem fair that two of poirier, gaethje and possibly ferguson fight for but money talks and if conor wants it I bet he gets put in there straight away

poirier v gaethje my guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

That was very disappointing. Was really hoping Gaethje would put up a better fight than that.

Khabib took ages to go for the takedown in the 1st. Like he was wary of Gaethje’s wrestling, just feeling him out. But for everything we heard in the build up he had nothing for him. No takedown defence & once he was on the ground, he didn’t have a hope.

Advertisement