Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid question - help please.

• 18-10-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

As an athletics Coach I'm a little confused with current guidance.
    This is from Athletics Ireland :
    no visitors to home or garden, with the exception of visits for essential purposes (e.g. family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular those who live alone).
    in outdoor settings away from home/garden, up to 6 people from no more than 2 households can meet while maintaining strict social distancing – including for outdoor exercise and dining.

Key Restrictions at Level 3

No competition/events.

Outdoor training pods of up to 15 socially distanced.
    For club training is it 6 from 2 different households only or a pod of 15??
    I'm aware all this could change after tomorrow's announcement.
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Our club sent out a statement last week saying "we can continue to train outdoors in groups of 15. Please try to remain in similar pods every week"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Pods of 15 and if we move to level 4 it remains the same, only level 5 puts a stop to it. But who knows what the government will do next, talk of a mixture of level 4&5.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭joe35

Anyone know how training works now

Unless they make an exception, level 5 would mean individual training only, and inside a 5 km radius from home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Unless they make an exception, level 5 would mean individual training only, and inside a 5 km radius from home

Thought you could exercise (outside) with one other household?

TbL

• Advertisement

Thought you could exercise (outside) with one other household?

TbL

That would be one of those exceptions, then. RTE news says:
    However it is understood that in a move away from this the Cabinet has agreed to allow people to meet up outdoors with one other household away from home for things such as exercise. This would have to be within the 5km limit

Not exactly a club training session though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That would be one of those exceptions, then. RTE news says:

Not exactly a club training session though, is it?

I thought that exception is for people living alone, not for the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I thought that exception is for people living alone, not for the general public.

Nope, it seems you can also exercise outdoors with one other family within 5k radius.

My work buddy run should be ok so but I think my missus hates his missus 🀣

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭UM1

My work buddy run should be ok so but I think my missus hates his missus 🀣

TbL
    Mike or Tom?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

From Athletics Ireland
    Overnight the government have updated the Level 5 Covid guidance to allow parents/guardians an exception to travel greater than 5km to take school aged children to permitted training as provided for in the sporting and exercise section of the link below.

Exercise and sporting events

Training and matches

No training or matches should take place, with the following exceptions:

non-contact training can continue for school aged children, outdoors in pods of 15
    professional, elite sports and inter-county Gaelic games, horse-racing and greyhound racing are permitted to continue behind closed doors
    All other training activities should be individual only.

No exercise or dance classes are permitted.

Gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools are closed.

• Advertisement

Nope, it seems you can also exercise outdoors with one other family within 5k radius.

My work buddy run should be ok so but I think my missus hates his missus ��

TbL

Would you know if that's one defined particular family./household..or can it be a different person each time you go running?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Would you know if that's one defined particular family./household..or can it be a different person each time you go running?

Thanks.

The wording in this government press release is:

it is possible to meet with one other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise

There's no doubt it's ambiguous. Just my opinion, but as it doesn't specifically say it has to be the same 'one other household' every time, I'd assume it means it can be different each time. It also begs the question, can there be more than one person from each household? Also unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Under exercise: "All other training activities must be individual only" and under social and family gatherings: "It is possible to meet with 1 other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise."

So all group runs are definitely out, three people from different houses is out, and whether you allow 2 people to run together depends on whether they are doing it as training or as a social gathering. Three people from two households would be similarly between the cracks of what is defined - potentially Mrs K can't train with Mr K but she can meet up for a social walk in the park with Mr and Mrs J while continuing to coach a pod of kids from fifteen different households.

I don't expect much clarification to be forthcoming or, for that matter, any enforcement on people who aren't deliberately taking the piss.

I also expect these rules on outdoor exercise to be relaxed significantly in the first round of relaxation, possibly before even the reopening of tennis and golf clubs and adult football/etc. getting the nod to train outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ceepo wrote: »

You can blame Phil Hogan and the ‘Entertainers Golf Society’ for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Murph_D wrote: »
    You can blame Phil Hogan and the ‘Entertainers Golf Society’ for that one.

His legacy lives on unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

jlang wrote: »
    Under exercise: "All other training activities must be individual only" and under social and family gatherings: "It is possible to meet with 1 other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise."

So all group runs are definitely out, three people from different houses is out, and whether you allow 2 people to run together depends on whether they are doing it as training or as a social gathering. Three people from two households would be similarly between the cracks of what is defined - potentially Mrs K can't train with Mr K but she can meet up for a social walk in the park with Mr and Mrs J while continuing to coach a pod of kids from fifteen different households.

I don't expect much clarification to be forthcoming or, for that matter, any enforcement on people who aren't deliberately taking the piss.

I also expect these rules on outdoor exercise to be relaxed significantly in the first round of relaxation, possibly before even the reopening of tennis and golf clubs and adult football/etc. getting the nod to train outdoors.

eh I think Mrs K can definitely train with Mr K, to my knowledge none of these restrictions apply to people from the same household? if you live in a house with 5 adults you could potentially all go for a run together although no doubt anyone in that situation is looking to run away from their 4 housemates :D.

Advertisement