Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Maysa07

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Excellent video, really captures the Ravers feeling from the people in it,

Check out the guy at 08:56, i know exactly where he is at, he randomly walks over to two guys and shakes each of their hands, ive been there, ahh man,

It was like respect, love, peace and a wink and a nod all in that handshake, it was amazing when you felt this immediate sense of closeness in the Rave, like you all knew each other always or something.

And the white gloves.......despite what people might think about them now, they did serve a practical purpose, whther he was using for this i dont know, but i remember from the Olympic that people that had white gloves on like that had them doused in vicks or olibus oils and would be breathing it in off the gloves to give them a rush,

Top one, Nice one, Get sorted..........:)

Top one, Nice one, Get sorted..........:)

Or what i should have really written,

Dont make me wait, dont make me waaiiiit.....E Vapor 8!!!

Coincidentally, Altern8 turned up outside Shellyes one night in a curtain sider truck at the end of the night and started to play an impromptu gig.

Got about 25 minutes out until the police shut them down........

I have an MP3 copy of it that is just over 31 minutes in total and i have on cassette from years ago around 1992 that was about 25 minutes.

Only seems to be 15 mins of it on youtube,

One more post for today, i tripped over this just digging for stuff, i see you already found it Francois!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. This was the first dj mix tape I ever bought. Didn't take to it at the time as I was more into the uplifting house/early prog and trance sound. Skaggy ****e I used to call it.

Rediscovered it a few years ago on youtube and loved it. Really deep, dark acid/techno, it's up there now as one of my favourite mixes

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Skaggy ****e I used to call it.

Skaggy:)

The second floor in the Asylum we used to call it the skag room.

i can tell your vintage from that comment chief:)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. This was the first dj mix tape I ever bought. Didn't take to it at the time as I was more into the uplifting house/early prog and trance sound. Skaggy ****e I used to call it.

Rediscovered it a few years ago on youtube and loved it. Really deep, dark acid/techno, it's up there now as one of my favourite mixes

Cheers thanks for posting...gonna play this all night long now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

For anyone who might be interested. A load of old mixes from dj’s in NI are available for free at the moment through this link https://www.nioldskool.co.uk/forum/index.php?/files/

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    For anyone who might be interested. A load of old mixes from dj’s in NI are available for free at the moment through this link https://www.nioldskool.co.uk/forum/index.php?/files/

Thanks stephen, i had an account on there years ago, will have to re register to access.

Just downloaded all 26 Hellraiser files, thank you again, some absolute classic DJ sets in these guys,

DJ Lime
    Carl cox
    Pablo Gargano
    SPQR
    Joey Beltram
    Mrs Woods
    Brainstorm

The circus circus files also look like they are ones to grab, DJ Dilly that rocked the Asylum played Circus Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just downloaded all 26 Hellraiser files, thank you again, some absolute classic DJ sets in these guys,

DJ Lime
    Carl cox
    Pablo Gargano
    SPQR
    Joey Beltram
    Mrs Woods
    Brainstorm

The circus circus files also look like they are ones to grab, DJ Dilly that rocked the Asylum played Circus Circus.

I haven’t listened to those mixes but he said that what he played up there and down here was very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

This was a really great watch and I actually learnt something new as well.

BBC Scotland presents the story of Bits n Pieces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDRLIfswqw&fbclid=IwAR3U2tNEsKLVmDm4DIXYjmt_ga2O6EFodLBCpYEG6hWYPsaIpuDUadKcpj4

This was a really great watch and I actually learnt something new as well.

BBC Scotland presents the story of Bits n Pieces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDRLIfswqw&fbclid=IwAR3U2tNEsKLVmDm4DIXYjmt_ga2O6EFodLBCpYEG6hWYPsaIpuDUadKcpj4

Ahh yes, one of the most energetic and smile inducing tracks, i can still recall after a hard nights seriously edgy Techno and Hard Trance in the Asylum, this would be dropped at say 7am and the place would come to life like it was 11pm the night before.......amazing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Wasn't sure where to stick this

Coxy doing F.A.C.T 1 in lock down :)

Oh yes Oh yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 90slovingDJ

I had a quick flick through them, i have to say, some of the most memorable tracks i recall from Sides & Asylum are in there, will download and give a full listen.

Thanks.

Do you have a tracklist by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 90slovingDJ

Cheers Mate, didn't want any "Fillers" in the mixes so kept it to tunes I that brought back a few memories of back in the day!! Killed a few lockdown hours!! Track lists below -

Mix 1
    Last rhythm Feat silvie carter last rhythm vocal extended Mix
    Coming out crew free gay happy deep throat vocal feat sabrina johnston
    isha d stay tonight original dance mix
    let me be your fantasy dancing divaz club mix
    subliminal cuts le voie le soleil way out west club mix
    tocayo live in peace guitar mix
    volcano let your body be free
    slam eterna
    rejuvination ibo
    sunscreem perfect motion boys own mix
    brothers love dubs the mighty ming brothers in rhythm club mix
    gat decor vs degrees of motion degrees of passion
    sensation beautiful morning multipractic fluke Remix
    sublime sublime dub
    my friend sam it’s my pleasure club mix
    ruby turner never gonna give you up big bump mix
    rising high collective fever called love the hardfloor mix
    sultana te amo caliente mix
    the floor federation music for the masses part ii nosh not nibble remix
    desert moods club mix
    Punchanella Santrancisco

Mix 2
    lion rock lionrock
    elevatorman funk drive non stop top floor edit
    taikoecho drop hard mix
    dop lion
    The Rockford Files You Sexy Dancer
    keith mac project spice of life original mix
    klatsch god save the queer
    the delorme beatniks dharma bums mix
    rollo goes camping get off your high horse big bold brassy mix
    sirius corporation piano forte
    way out west ajare full mix
    rene et gaston vallee de larmes
    the lisa marie experience do that to me the lisa marie vocal experience part 2
    chapter 9 roller coaster
    the shaker just lick it
    mr roy united states nush star spangled mix
    junior vasquez get your hands off my man nush chocolate factory mix
    natural high warp 69 jap jop mix
    moonchild variations on a theme
    gemini 4 jump

Mix 3
    lionrock as dawn approaches
    bedrock for what you dream of full on renaissance mix
    the shaker mooncat
    ispirazione take me
    allium mot venture hold your pillow
    mrs wood joanna tony de vit v2 remix
    screen ii hey mr dj
    intuition dance with me
    eating habits may i have the mayonnaise
    subliminal cuts drumtrack melody remix
    amos instant karma we all shine on
    sonexuno alchemy
    the kgb burning like fire
    sourmash pilgrimage to paradise
    the peppermint lounge lemon project
    art of trance gloria
    flammable steppin into the sound
    astronuts voyager
    dopamine
    opal the snake
    desert storm desert storm
    mory kante yeke yeke hardfloor remix
    erazor india
    country western reincarnation
    spqr unlimited dreams ep hypnotic state
    love is energy joe roberts
    alison limerick where love lives classic club mix
    joe smooth promised land

• Advertisement

Cheers Mate, didn't want any "Fillers" in the mixes so kept it to tunes I that brought back a few memories of back in the day!! Killed a few lockdown hours!! Track lists below -

Mix 1
    Last rhythm Feat silvie carter last rhythm vocal extended Mix
    Coming out crew free gay happy deep throat vocal feat sabrina johnston
    isha d stay tonight original dance mix
    let me be your fantasy dancing divaz club mix
    subliminal cuts le voie le soleil way out west club mix
    tocayo live in peace guitar mix
    volcano let your body be free
    slam eterna
    rejuvination ibo
    sunscreem perfect motion boys own mix
    brothers love dubs the mighty ming brothers in rhythm club mix
    gat decor vs degrees of motion degrees of passion
    sensation beautiful morning multipractic fluke Remix
    sublime sublime dub
    my friend sam it’s my pleasure club mix
    ruby turner never gonna give you up big bump mix
    rising high collective fever called love the hardfloor mix
    sultana te amo caliente mix
    the floor federation music for the masses part ii nosh not nibble remix
    desert moods club mix
    Punchanella Santrancisco

Mix 2
    lion rock lionrock
    elevatorman funk drive non stop top floor edit
    taikoecho drop hard mix
    dop lion
    The Rockford Files You Sexy Dancer
    keith mac project spice of life original mix
    klatsch god save the queer
    the delorme beatniks dharma bums mix
    rollo goes camping get off your high horse big bold brassy mix
    sirius corporation piano forte
    way out west ajare full mix
    rene et gaston vallee de larmes
    the lisa marie experience do that to me the lisa marie vocal experience part 2
    chapter 9 roller coaster
    the shaker just lick it
    mr roy united states nush star spangled mix
    junior vasquez get your hands off my man nush chocolate factory mix
    natural high warp 69 jap jop mix
    moonchild variations on a theme
    gemini 4 jump

Mix 3
    lionrock as dawn approaches
    bedrock for what you dream of full on renaissance mix
    the shaker mooncat
    ispirazione take me
    allium mot venture hold your pillow
    mrs wood joanna tony de vit v2 remix
    screen ii hey mr dj
    intuition dance with me
    eating habits may i have the mayonnaise
    subliminal cuts drumtrack melody remix
    amos instant karma we all shine on
    sonexuno alchemy
    the kgb burning like fire
    sourmash pilgrimage to paradise
    the peppermint lounge lemon project
    art of trance gloria

flammable steppin into the sound
    astronuts voyager
    dopamine
    opal the snake
    desert storm desert storm
    mory kante yeke yeke hardfloor remix
    erazor india
    country western reincarnation
    spqr unlimited dreams ep hypnotic state
    love is energy joe roberts
    alison limerick where love lives classic club mix
    joe smooth promised land

I highlighted to ones in red i would recommend the most to anyone looking to search for some from the tracklist.

Thought crossed my mind,

Surley Altern8 could do a safe Coronavirus rave!

Gloves, Chemical war suit and mask for everybody!!

Self Isol-8:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Maysa07

What an absolute monster...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

milltown wrote: »
    Okey dokey. I have no idea why this one popped into my head today but I've been trying to get the lyrics right so I can google it. Early to mid 90's vintage I reckon. Lyrics along the lines of "My nine millimetre and my nine inch Peter, my nine inch tweeter makes the speaker sound sweeter".
    Would have been heard regularly on Sunshine FM and various nights in the Mansion house, RDS or Point iirc.

I got an answer on this one 6 years ago but have forgotten it again due to my advancing years :(
    I found the reply but it was only a youtube link, which is now dead.

Anyone remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

milltown wrote: »
    I got an answer on this one 6 years ago but have forgotten it again due to my advancing years :(
    I found the reply but it was only a youtube link, which is now dead.

Anyone remember it?
    Ace The Space - 9 Is A Classic.

...and it was Sunset FM. :)

Glad saved this webpage a good while back, when it comes up now in a search, it is paid subscription only from the Irish Times,

When ecstasy was dealt openly on the Dublin rave scene
    From the archive, 1994: Five undercover gardaí were offered drugs on entrance to Asylum nightclub
    Sun, Oct 13, 2019, 06:00

Una Mullally

A page in The Irish Times on April 20th, 1994, didn’t exactly paint the nicest picture of the Irish music scene.

In the Dublin District Court, the manager of the Asylum nightclub in Dublin was jailed for two years “for allowing the drug ecstasy to be openly sold to people as they entered his disco”.

Undercover student gardaí told the court how they were offered ecstasy in the club. The court was also shown a video of “known drug dealers” using the staff entrance. Joseph O’Neill, then 23, was jailed after pleading not guilty.

O’Neill was pretty resolute about the reality of clubbing in Dublin at the time. While he didn’t give evidence in court, he told gardaí in his statement, “if there were no ecstasy there would be no rave discos. If there were no rave discos there would be no ecstasy”.

Five gardaí who partook in the surveillance operation were all offered drugs as they entered the Asylum club on different occasions. One Garda used marked notes to buy ecstasy from a dealer, which were then recovered from the dealer’s person.

The judge, Thomas Fitzpatrick called the club a “den of iniquity” and sentenced O’Neill to the maximum for the offence, essentially saying he was making an example of him as a deterrent to others. The previous November, as part of the co-ordinated surveillance on the club, ecstasy and LSD worth £3,000 was seized from the nightclub. Thirty people were arrested and 12 charged.

The Asylum was a landmark club in Dublin’s dance music scene. A three-storey building with a reddish-pink front, inside it was all minimal lighting, smoke machines, with brickwork painted white, and arched, church-like windows on the top floor.

In describing the club on his own website back in 2007, John Braine recalled, “It bore witness to the first batch of E casualties, burnt out ravers desperately chasing that initial rush, the dawning realisation that nothing this good lasts forever painted across their jaded faces. However, a fresh batch always arrived to fill the void and this new crowd kept the balance in check.

“The Asylum also welcomed in a new batch of DJs. Dilly, the then Northern Ireland mixing champ, took residency in the Asylum along with Dublin’s Ed case, Warren K and Pressure. The club’s eventual downfall was its very open display as a drug haven and it was soon shut down.”

But in the summer of 1994, the club was still, remarkably, open. And on July 3rd, when a fight broke out outside around 4am, it was reported that a 17-year-old man was shot in the stomach during an argument between what was reported as rival drug dealing factions. Several people were arrested.

The following August, another case was up in the Dublin courts. Jason Dunne, then 19, had been beaten up inside the club the previous summer, and “he was bleeding profusely from the scalp and neck when seen by gardaí to raise the pen-gun to eye level and discharge a .22 bullet at an angry crowd at Sackville Place outside the club”. He was jailed for seven and a half years.

Notes on Rave in Dublin, a 2017 documentary produced by DCTV and Rabble magazine, detailed aspects of how rave evolved in the capital. While Flikkers at the Hirschfeld Centre is often seen as sparking the genesis of a new era of dance-focused clubs that moved away from cheesiness and focussed on quality music, also in the mix were Sides, the Asylum, the Olympic Ballroom, organised raves at the Mansion House, followed by the Temple of Sound, G1, UFO, and then the Kitchen and the POD.

Today, the battle for Dublin’s dance floors has become a driver in the discourse surrounding gentrification in the city, with the largest music-focussed dance floors now outside of the city centre, such as a the events District 8 are booking at Bodytonic’s Jam Park in Swords, a venue rave scene innovator and stalwart Mark Kavanagh recently described as having “the best sound system I have ever heard in an Irish club”.

Rave on.

Some good footage in this from 1992 Cambridge illegal Rave,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I highlighted to ones in red i would recommend the most to anyone looking to search for some from the tracklist.

...and not Love is Energy? Forgot about that tune, used to love it, still do

Came across this one recently, never knew what it was called

...and not Love is Energy? Forgot about that tune, used to love it, still do

I recognise its worth, but my rule of thumb would always be whether i can see myself playing it at a gig or party, i wouldn't play this myself.
    Came across this one recently, never knew what it was called

Wow, big thank you for this, this was one one of my favorite tracks in Sides, never knew the name of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

These are good for wasting a bit of time...

Advertisement