Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jack Dunne just went to the wrong school. Admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Hey Guinness man.

Jack Dunne also studies Theoretical physics.

You should add that to your bizarre stick you're beating him with.

"He clearly has no interest in being on the pitch. All he is doing is analyzing particles and vectors instead of hitting rucks.

Clearly too intelligent to play the game"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Hey Guinness man.

"He clearly has no interest in being on the pitch. All he is doing is analyzing particles and vectors instead of hitting rucks.

intelligence = soft in this guys world.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,216 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bayern wrote: »
    intelligence = soft in this guys world.

cant have him throwing passes out the back door either... thats prima donna stuff which should be coached out of him !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

bayern wrote: »
    "Please sir, do you mind if I steal this lineout?"

Can I have some maul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Roux is a powerful player but many on here don’t rate him. Dunne although possibly powerful is uncoordinated and cant channel it in the right direction unlike Roux. I think Murray is being his usual positive self towards youngsters.

Why are you comparing Roux and Dunne? Are they at similar points in their career?

1st he wasn't good enough for AIL, now he will be "found out" against stronger opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

I’ll leave it there lads. I apologise to you all and Jack himself if he’s reading. I didn’t mean to hurt all your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You didn't.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Guinness RFC will not be replying to any more posts on the forum so there is no need to continue this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You didn't.

It hurt my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Was actually thinking i'd like to see more of him while Baird and Ryan are gone.....

almost certain we will see more of him.. he and several other young lads missed out on some leinster caps due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hey Guinness man.

Yes, I've always thought that loop quantum gravity and rugby go well together. Unless of course you are a fan of string theory. Just make sure you are playing in the correct dimension....there are between 10 to 26 from which to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Delighted for Doris and Ringrose. Well deserved both, over the season.

Does anyone else think the leinster big players have regress towards the mean a bit since lockdown? I think there have been fewer line breaks and less "heads up" play, and more scripted play. I often think with Ireland they expect to be tackled and recycle the ball rather than ever looking to break the line.

I feel Doris was more likely to break the gain line at the start of the season and he's moved into being more reliable and predictable in the recent games. Am I wrong? Baird's play has been a lot less scripted but I worry they will get him to play to the script and stifle the creativity thatgit him into the team in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Players get analysed. There's a glut of guys who explode onto the scene and then struggle to make the same attacking impact after a year or two. Larmour, James Ryan, Luke Fitz, Ringrose... none of them were making the same plays with ball in hand that they did in their first season or two.

Ringrose will never score another try like he did against Clermont. Larmour's try against Saracens was his first in blue since his intercept try against Bath in 2018! Once they're an established attacking threat, the opposition will look to close down those opportunities. For Doris, that means teams will have a pillar in place to make sure he can't do his pick and go at pace to expose an under resourced ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Awful blow for Lamour - hoping he can do a Henshaw and get back ahead of plan!

Finally a further Leavy update - was really worried about he lack of any recently.

geekington wrote: »
    Awful blow for Lamour - hoping he can do a Henshaw and get back ahead of plan!

Finally a further Leavy update - was really worried about he lack of any recently.

It's still a bit concerning. He's been "stepping up his training load" since the summer. They're not telling us about any setbacks but I suspect there have been a few significant setbacks. Fingers crossed for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Take a Munster squad winger and give him a few starts maybe? Leinster's cupboard looks seriously bare in the back three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We are ridiculously light in the back 3 at the moment. Dave K and Kelleher the only out and out back 3 players in the senior squad for this weekend. Lowe and Keenan with Ireland. Byrne and Larmour injured. Jimmy O'Brien is more of a centre isnt he? We've a few centres who can do a job on the wing, but would be great to see another quality winger coming out of the Academy. Got to feel for Byrne. Talk about an awful time for him to be injured.

molloyjh wrote: »
    We are ridiculously light in the back 3 at the moment. Dave K and Kelleher the only out and out back 3 players in the senior squad for this weekend. Lowe and Keenan with Ireland. Byrne and Larmour injured. Jimmy O'Brien is more of a centre isnt he? We've a few centres who can do a job on the wing, but would be great to see another quality winger coming out of the Academy. Got to feel for Byrne. Talk about an awful time for him to be injured.

True but they'll presumably let Lowe back to leinster as he isn't even eligible for Ireland yet (COVID bubbles permitting).

And I'd say they have a few options with lads who could do a job at full back and a few who could do it on the wing. I'd say they'll be fine.

Byrne has been out for a while with that hamstring. Poor guy must have had a bad injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Max O'Reilly, Michael Silvester, Andrew Smith and Aaron O'Sullivan in the academy are all back 3 and might get a run. Silvester and O'Sullivan are year 3 so out of the lot would imagine those two are the most likely to make an appearance. O'Reilly and Smith are only year 1 so probably a bit early

Max O'Reilly, Michael Silvester, Andrew Smith and Aaron O'Sullivan in the academy are all back 3 and might get a run. Silvester and O'Sullivan are year 3 so out of the lot would imagine those two are the most likely to make an appearance. O'Reilly and Smith are only year 1 so probably a bit early

Niall Comerford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The way some people go on you'd swear current first-teamers just popped into existence fully formed - without having to go through the academy and get their debut and develop from there. Leinster are a team who've won the last three league titles relatively easily, including going unbeaten last season. They're up against Zebre, and, in Lancaster, they've got a coach whose training methods prepare the inexperienced players for senior team action so well. I can't fathom why anyone would be scared at the prospect of a few academy players starting.

There are loads of options for the back three:

11: ROL, Kelleher, TOB, Turner, Smith
    14: Kearney, TOB, O'Sullivan, Turner, Comerford
    15: Frawley, JOB, Silvester, O'Reilly

The way some people go on you'd swear current first-teamers just popped into existence fully formed - without having to go through the academy and get their debut and develop from there. Leinster are a team who've won the last three league titles relatively easily, including going unbeaten last season. They're up against Zebre, and, in Lancaster, they've got a coach whose training methods prepare the inexperienced players for senior team action so well. I can't fathom why anyone would be scared at the prospect of a few academy players starting.

There are loads of options for the back three:

11: ROL, Kelleher, TOB, Turner, Smith
    14: Kearney, TOB, O'Sullivan, Turner, Comerford
    15: Frawley, JOB, Silvester, O'Reilly

You're absolutely right. The fact that they went unbeaten last year shouldn't stand in their way. There's nothing too worrying about losing a few league games. It might seem like a big step backwards to lose games after last season but the opportunity to blood some new players (and separate the best prospects for the future) is really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

You're absolutely right. The fact that they went unbeaten last year shouldn't stand in their way. There's nothing too worrying about losing a few league games. It might seem like a big step backwards to lose games after last season but the opportunity to blood some new players (and separate the best prospects for the future) is really important.

Yeah, although I wouldn't even be expecting losses. Obviously respect the opposition, but there's no reason Leinster can't go out and win any game they play and score four tries in the process. They probably won't even need to call on more than one academy player in the backs if they don't want to anyway. What's the probable backline?

9. McGrath, 10. H. Byrne, 11. Kelleher, 12. Frawley, 13. ROL, 14. DK, 15. JOB; 21. Osborne, 22. TOB, 23. Silvester/Turner

(could be Hawkshaw at 22 and TOB at 23, I suppose)

That's not necessarily what I'd go for. I think I'd prefer Frawley at 15, ROL on the wing, JOB at 13 and TOB at 12, but either way you probably only have one academy back in the XXIII. It's Zebre, like. How's the squad meant to regenerate unless new guys get a shot sometime?

Plus, as you say, the coaches need to get an idea about whether they should offer third year academy players senior deals. They need to see them playing a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We went unbeaten last season because the season was cut short. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have lost away to Cheetahs. And with nothing to play for at the end of the season, would have lost to Ulster at the very least.

Of course there is no issue with losing games, as you said. Totally agree there. Nor is it a bad thing to blood young talent, but it is still true to say we are light in the back 3.

McBryde confirms Leavy has had setbacks:

“He took a full part in training today. So we’re just monitoring how he goes. He’s had a pretty bumpy journey to get back to full fitness.

“Little things have cropped up for Dan, but he’s kept himself in a positive mindset throughout and took a full part in the training session today.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Real shame for Byrne as this was an ideal time to showcase himself.

In terms of back 3 cover.

ROL has high level minutes there.

I think Tommy O'Brien will be getting the Lions share of minutes at 14 over the coming weeks. And I think he will absolutely thrive. He was very impressive there during the A game apparently.

I know it's been a while but I think Dave is more than able to step up at 15.

Jimmy has played a small bit there. I reckon he will be ok there.

Next cab off the rank is probably Silvestre as a pure FB option

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement