Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Top 5 Christmas Songs of all time

Options
  • 18-10-2020 5:07pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it’s time for a bit of Sunday evening fun and a nice distraction for us all.

I want you to list out your top 5 Christmas songs in order of preference. Song and artist (covers are allowed).

The only rules are they have to be in order of preference and you can only have 5. No honourable mentions.

I’ve put a bit of thought into my list this morning and it’s harder than you think to pick just 5 and it was even surprising for me when I came to rank them. I ended up with a number one I wasn’t even expecting but I’m happy with my choice.

So I’ll start.

Number 5 It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas - Michael Buble.

If you asked me 3 years for a list this wouldn’t have made it. But it’s fastly became ChristmasFM tradition and it’s the opening track to Michael buble’s Christmas album which is a cracker.

Number 4 Have yourself a Merry little Christmas - The Coronas.

Again would this have made the list 3 years ago no. But I love the song and the band and the first time I heard the cover it really made me take stock of the lyrics of the song and it’s been a favourite ever since.

Number 3 I wish it could be Christmas everyday - Wizzard

The song that randomly pops into my head the most out of season. And it’s good uplifting happy one :) one to sing along to.

Number 2 Fairytale of New York - The pogues ft. Kirsty McCall

The song that has it all. It’s dower, depressing, bleak. But when it kicks in it’s triumphant, uplifting and a celebration. It really does it all. A greatly written song.

Number 1 Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin’ Stevens.

It’s just fun fun fun. A really toe tapping party number. That always puts a smile on my face. And the lyrics are great too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Oh definitely a tough one! Top one is easy for me but the next 4 were very hard to narrow down.

The one thing they all have in common is really strong opening bars. They are the kind of songs where if you hear the first couple of bars in the car, you’ll definitely go to turn it up :D

5. Do they know it’s Christmas - Band Aid
    4. Driving home for Christmas - Chris Rea
    3. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
    2. It’s the most wonderful time of the year - Andy Williams
    1. All I want for Christmas is you - Mariah Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

5. Rockin' around the Christmas tree - Brenda Lee

4. Feliz Navidad - jose feliciano

3. The little drummer boy (peace on earth). - bing crosby and David bowie

2. White Christmas - Bing crosby
    1. Fairytale of New York - the pogues

Have to admit I can't stand listening to Michael buble -

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

1. "Christmastime is Here" is an absolute fave - Daniela Andrade does a lovely version
    2. "River" is always good - Sarah McLachlans arrangement is nice
    3. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" with Helen Merrill and Mel Torme
    4. "A Christmas Love Song" - Babrba Streisand
    5. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - I like Lady Antebellums rendition

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

1. I believe in father Christmas -greg lake
    2. Little Drummer Boy (peace on earth) David Bowie
    3. Thank God it's Christmas - Queen
    4. The Christmas song - Nat king cole
    5. Merry Christmas Everyone - Slade

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m loving the different selections. Keep the lists coming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

1- All I want for Christmas- Mariah Carey
    2- I believe in Father Christmas -Greg Lake
    3- Christmas Rap - The Waitresses
    4- Little Dummer Boy - Bing & Bowie
    5- Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I need to put a few day's thought into this and come back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Little Donkey - underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was reading this thread last night & decided I'd take some time to have a little think before jumping in, also didn't fancy typing loads on the phone, my typing on a standard keyboard is bad enough (trying to go too fast for my feeble typing skills) but on a mobile..... good luck!

Anyway, my top 5 Christmas tunes!!

5. Band Aid (1984) : Do they Know its Christmas
    From the very first time I heard this song as an impressionable 12yo I loved it. The simple melody, the intro & the rousing sing along chorus. Despite the serious nature of the song itself and the reason for its creation I cant help but tap along or sing along to it when it comes on the radio. A highlight over the years was Gavin & Smithy singing it in the original Gavin & Stacey christmas Special. This is always on my christmas playlist as one of the opening 3 to kick start the christmas vibe.

4. Prokofiev : Troika
    Not a song, but for me the quintessential christmas tune/piece of music that for many many years I just instantly 'go to' christmas when I hear it. Tom Dunne used it as his intro on his Radio show when his Newstalk show was on in the mornings for the month December & I used to love listening in & hearing it every morning in work.

3. Bing Crosby : Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas
    A surprise entry for me, I definitely wouldn't have had this in my top 5 a few years ago, but its association with the launch of Christmas FM has catapulted it up my own chart. Not a fan of the cover versions, especially Michael Buble's (Just can't take to covers for Christmas tunes) but have grown to really love the original, so a solid mid table entry for Mr Crosby!

2. The Pogues & Kirsty McColl : Fairytale of New York
    What's left to be said about this behemoth of a song, for me Christmas wouldnt be Christmas without this in the background, and I do my best to avoid hearing it until Christmas FM launches to ensure it isnt overplayed & potentially have my enjoyment of it diluted in any way. I have great memories of belting this out in my younger years on Christmas Eve in the local with my mates, and will always associate it with those fantastic nights.

1. Andy Williams : Its the most wonderful time of the year
    It was always going to take something special to beat FONY to the No.1 spot in my Christmas chart, but just like in 1987, the pogues have been topped by a surprise entry, this time its not the Pet Shop Boys but by Mr Christmas himself, Andy Williams. The funny thing is, despite song being considerably older than i am (& that's saying something) for years it was out of popularity & didnt really appear on the radio or Christmas compilation albums for quite some time. It first came back to my attention around 2007 when visiting my now in-laws who had a 5ft tall dancing santa that played music, and the first song was always this one, when the kids came along they associated this song with visits to nanny & Grandad at Christmas and insisted on me playing it all the time, to the point where it has become our family Christmas anthem of sorts. Theres been many mnay cover versions, but for me the original will never be topped & I never tire of hearing this song, its simple melody, charming lyrics and the smooth velvety tones of Andy Williams voice makes this an easy choice for my Christmas No.1
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DVB in with a BANG! Great work man!

And thank you for number 4 Prokofiev : Troika, I never knew what that was called and boy am I glad to have found it. I love that piece of music, it's so uplifting, and used in almost every Christmas advert at some stage haha

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    DVB in with a BANG! Great work man!

And thank you for number 4 Prokofiev : Troika, I never knew what that was called and boy am I glad to have found it. I love that piece of music, it's so uplifting, and used in almost every Christmas advert at some stage haha

The gas thing is the music itself has nothing to do with Christmas but like many songs is totally associated with it now, though whoever put the two together is a genius! I absolutely adore it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    The gas thing is the music itself has nothing to do with Christmas but like many songs is totally associated with it now, though whoever put the two together is a genius! I absolutely adore it.

A lot of sleigh bells in it though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I thought this would be a lot easier that it was. List and order changed a few times!!

'The phone lines are now closed, in no particular order (not), though to next week are'...........

5. Chris Rea- Driving home for Christmas
    This song has grown on me over the last few years mainly from listen to Christmas FM in the car. I love hearing stories of people saying they play this as drive home to see family at Christmas.

4. Wham- Last Christmas
    My ultimate sing along Christmas song. Can remember singing this (badly!) at many Christmas parties, nights out and now just around the house.

3. Bing Crosby- It's being to look a lot like Christmas
    Childhood memories and Christmas FM. Enough said.

2. The Pogues- Fairytale of New York
    I dare anyone to listen to this and not sing along at some stage. As DvB said has a bit of everything.

1. Bing Crosby- White Christmas
    One of my favorite Christmas memories as a child was Christmas day and we would come back from church, my Dad would go into the front room, put Bing's Christmas album on (vinyl), get a glass of sherry and hum along. That memory and song will stay with me for ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,987 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

5. white winter hymnal: Fleet foxes.

While not technically a Christmas song, it has all the elements of one and is a lovely playful winter pastoral feel to it.

4. Stop the cavalry: jona lewie

One of the most recognisable intros ever. Again not a pure Christmas song but a protest song about a soldier wanting to be home for Christmas.

3. The Christmas song : Nat King Cole.

If music was food this song is melted warm chocolate, absolutely dripping in Christmasness. Its embodies the innocence of children and the welcoming of adults. It's perfect.

2. I believe in Father Christmas : Greg Lake

Another protest song wrapped up in tinsel and snow. Musically this is a cracking song, lyrically the cynicism is practically stabbing you in the ears. Keeps things real in the midst of a lot of fakery.

1. Fairy tale of new York : the pogues

Whats to be said that hasn't already? Its a Christmas institution at this stage. For many Christmas doesn't start until you hear this on the radio. There is a depressing earthiness and realism to it, yet an overwhelming sense of hope by the end. Perfect way to end a year and start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

1. Driving Home for Xmas - Chris Rea
    This has been a family favourite for years, universally liked by all, never any arguments. The trip home from the UK a week before Xmas every year becomes more magical the closer to "home" this is played. One year I caught it 5 minutes away and it was brilliant.

2. It's the Most Wonderful Time - Andy Williams
    My Mam, God rest her was a huge Andy fan so his Xmas albums always get repeated play around that time of year. It's just a brilliantly up tempo Xmas song too and I loved the M&S advert that used it. They went together brilliantly.

3. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
    I was never a huge fan growing up but as I got older and moved abroad it began to resonate more and more and I became aware of the brilliance of it. It's the one Xmas song I'd argue is almost uncoverable. Almost. Christy Moore's stripped down version is excellent.

I'm going to be controversial and omit a 4 and 5.
    I actually find that every year an older song will hit me at the right time and I can't get enough of it but will lose it's impact next year. Additionally on Spotify there are so many great playlists now, new versions of songs are excellent.

I think if I had to choose for now, based on last year, it would be:
    4. Last Xmas - Can't recall the singer it's on the Coffeehouse Christmas playlist on Spotify

5. It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas - Perry Como
    First Xmas, in our own house, with my then 9 month old son, it was the "holly on your own front door" lyric. Such an apt, true lyric.

If I remember, I'll come back on Xmas Eve and update 4 and 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I'll put five here but in all honesty I could have done twenty or thirty that I love equally.

1 Paul Mccartney - Wonderful Christmastime

Paul wrote this on his own in one afternoon in the studio. Estimated to be worth over $400,000 in royalties for him every year. Not bad for an afternoons work!

2 Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

Pure absolute cynicism of the whole season but absolutely beautiful. The words are excellent but the music is something else. The ending of the song is just mind blowing.

3 John & Yoko - Happy Christmas (War is Over)

Love this song it's message is perfect for Christmas. Could have been completely different though. Phil Spector produced it and when he rang ahead to the studio to find out what Lennon had booked he was shocked to hear there was no extra musicians booked. He soon changed that. Anything you hear on that track that isn't a guitar a bass or drum is because of Spector.

4. Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

Wasn't supposed to be a Christmas song until the record company heard the line wish I was at home for Christmas and decided to put some jingle music in it and release it for Christmas. Jona Lewie lives off the royalties off it now. Love the brass section of the song. Proper Christmas for me!

5 O Holy Night - Various

There are so many versions of this it's hard to pinpoint just one. Powerful song with the ability to stop you in your tracks no matter what you are at. It really is pure Christmas and I am in no way religious.

Again this list would probably be different in an hour's time but that's it for now!

2 Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

Pure absolute cynicism of the whole season but absolutely beautiful. The words are excellent but the music is something else. The ending of the song is just mind blowing.

The end of that song actually samples DVB's number 4 piece of music... Troika.
    DvB wrote: »
    4. Prokofiev : Troika
    Not a song, but for me the quintessential christmas tune/piece of music that for many many years I just instantly 'go to' christmas when I hear it. Tom Dunne used it as his intro on his Radio show when his Newstalk show was on in the mornings for the month December & I used to love listening in & hearing it every morning in work.

The end of that song actually samples DVB's number 4 piece of music... Troika.

Yes I was aware of that. It really is a fantastic use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'd normally stay away from Christmas stuff until (Mid!) December as I dont like it being drawn out but with everything thats going on, a bit of festive cheer is well needed. So my order is (some of these are a bit left field!)
    I also have found the last few years that radio stations are concentrating on the same christmas songs (Mariah & the Pogues) so its nice to hear songs that arent played as much. I used to religiously hear the Frog Chorus and Frankie Goes to Hollywood on Christmas eve but I havent heard them the last few years, maybe they were played.

5) Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin Stevens.
    I'm torn between this and Last Christmas. Probably went with this one as it was my favourite as a child!

4) Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie
    It can imagine the hurt that soldiers must have felt being away from home on Christmas Eve.

3) Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea
    Just love it. My mother loves it as she had a long commute to work and used to hear it on the last drive home for the christmas holidays.

2) I Believe in Father Chrismas - Greg Lake
    Magical song. Nearly an anti christmas song. The emotion he sings the song with.

1) Same Auld Lang Syne - Dan Fogleberg.
    I think that this song is a brilliant song, no matter the time of the year! I've often listened to it in the middle of summer! Its sang with such emotion and we all can relate to meeting someone who might be the 1 that got away. Its not a typical christmas song and its not played that much, often played down home on NYE on local radio and that probably helps me love it even more.

Ah FFS, theres so many....Power of Love, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy, When a Child if Born, Do They Know Its Christmas Time

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I'd normally stay away from Christmas stuff until (Mid!) December as I dont like it being drawn out but with everything thats going on, a bit of festive cheer is well needed. So my order is (some of these are a bit left field!)
    I also have found the last few years that radio stations are concentrating on the same christmas songs (Mariah & the Pogues) so its nice to hear songs that arent played as much. I used to religiously hear the Frog Chorus and Frankie Goes to Hollywood on Christmas eve but I havent heard them the last few years, maybe they were played.

5) Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin Stevens.
    I'm torn between this and Last Christmas. Probably went with this one as it was my favourite as a child!

4) Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie
    It can imagine the hurt that soldiers must have felt being away from home on Christmas Eve.

3) Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea
    Just love it. My mother loves it as she had a long commute to work and used to hear it on the last drive home for the christmas holidays.

2) I Believe in Father Chrismas - Greg Lake
    Magical song. Nearly an anti christmas song. The emotion he sings the song with.

1) Same Auld Lang Syne - Dan Fogleberg.
    I think that this song is a brilliant song, no matter the time of the year! I've often listened to it in the middle of summer! Its sang with such emotion and we all can relate to meeting someone who might be the 1 that got away. Its not a typical christmas song and its not played that much, often played down home on NYE on local radio and that probably helps me love it even more.

Welcome along, always great to have new posters :)

Fantastic list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Welcome along, always great to have new posters :)

Fantastic list!

thanks, I occasionally think of popping by to see the countdown during the summer but its very sporadic. Maybe its having 2 kids now and the oldest 1 maybe beginning to understand Santy a bit now has me excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

These change every year for me but at the moment it would be:

5: Greg Lake: i believe in father Christmas. Great song with some really good lyrics as others have echoed before me.

4: Mud: Lonely This Christmas. Dunno why but i always loved this song, even if its a little sad but the singer has a great voice.

3: Darlene Love: All Alone at Christmas. HUge home alone fan so this song brings good memories, plus i love the sax through the song

2: Darkness: Christmas Time (Dont let the bells end). Brilliant singer and a great song, the best christmas song in the last 20 years.

1: Pogues: Fairytale of New York, A trope at this point but its just a great song with a really good sound.

Honorable mention to Wham; last Christmas: Solely because this was played during our wedding two years ago by mistake (in mid june at 25 degrees) during the meal. everyone had a good laugh and always reminds me of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Honorable mention to Wham; last Christmas: Solely because this was played during our wedding two years ago by mistake (in mid june at 25 degrees) during the meal. everyone had a good laugh and always reminds me of that :D

Finally, it get another mention, not in top 5 however will take it.

Really thought this song would feature more!

TRS30 wrote: »

Wham Last Christmas is an all time classic.

I really wanted to squeeze it in but it didn't feature in my top 5. Mariah Carey, Slade and a whole host of others all deserved a spot but that's what made it so tricky just picking 5.

2: Darkness: Christmas Time (Dont let the bells end). Brilliant singer and a great song, the best christmas song in the last 20 years.

It definitely is. I think it's the only good Christmas song since Mariah Carey's in the early 90s .

Last summer when I was on holidays (remember them) our hotel had a Geroge Michael tribute act and it was painfully obvious he only knew 3 or 4 George Michael songs when he busted out Last Christmas.... in the middle of Summer... in 35 degrees heat...

Absolute great list by you. Darkness great choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Yeah was torn between that, shakin' stevens and Greg Lake for the number 5 spot.
    Last summer when I was on holidays (remember them) our hotel had a Geroge Michael tribute act and it was painfully obvious he only knew 3 or 4 George Michael songs when he busted out Last Christmas.... in the middle of Summer... in 35 degrees heat...

Haha, at least it got a reaction from the crowd im guessing.

Yeah the Darkness version is great, Justin Hawkins voice suits a Christmas song really well and the guitars fit in perfectly to the tune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

There is (or was) a pub in Sydney, the Lord Nelson in the Rocks area, that used to have an Irish band in to do the Sunday session every week. Was always rammed.

But every session, regardless of month or season, they’d finish with Fairytale of New York. And every single person in the pub would sing along with it.

It’s a testament to the Irish connection and grá for Christmas that we get away with this 52 weeks of the year :D

• Advertisement

I really wanted to squeeze it in but it didn't feature in my top 5. Mariah Carey, Slade and a whole host of others all deserved a spot but that's what made it so tricky just picking 5.

You saying in your original post to have no honourable mentions meant you really had to think about it as there's easily a dozen more I could have randomly put down & I like that, it gave me some focus instead of just creating a huge list and not having to actually put some thought into choosing just 5.

Had we been allowed 'expand' I agree, originally I was thinking Wham, Greg Lake, Paul McCartney, The Darkness & Slade will be in there anyway & as I narrowed it down realised working from 10 to 5 was tough!!

The thread is a great idea, and actually limiting to 5 with no room for expansion is what makes it worthwhile, otherwise we'd all just be compiling lists of dozens of songs. Good call :)

Advertisement