Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Wellington are you wearing?

• 18-10-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a good pair of wellies? Do they keep your feet warm? My poor toes are cold in the old reliable Dunlop’s. Even the trick of the second pair of socks is wearing off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good pair of wellies? Do they keep your feet warm? My poor toes are cold in the old reliable Dunlop’s. Even the trick of the second pair of socks is wearing off!

I have cold feet too, I use Trekker socks and they solved the problem, 15 -€20 pair, Merino wool and three year guarantee. Get them at any good hiking shop.
    Expensive yes, Depends how much you value your comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Any recommendations for Wellingtons that will last instead of cracking across the toes after 12 months. Have tried expensive dunlop and belkina Wellingtons over the last 2-3 years and neither lasted and I am back in boots as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

dh1985 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Wellingtons that will last instead of cracking across the toes after 12 months. Have tried expensive dunlop and belkina Wellingtons over the last 2-3 years and neither lasted and I am back in boots as a result.

I’d be happy if mine lasted 12 months. I’ve tried them all and now just buy belkina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Bought a pair of Dunlop purfort plus in the coop, down from 80 to 70, very comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

dh1985 wrote: »

I've had this same problem cracking above the toes as after 2 3 weeks fair annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have a pair of skellerup quattro sport here with six months, very comfy, insulated and good grip. Think they were around 90e online. Had a pair of muck boots before that and I was lucky they cracked after a few months because they nearly killed me numerous times, absolutely no grip on the soles whatsoever. Always had bekina wellies before that and I'd find it hard to go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

djmc wrote: »

Worth noting that they're extremely heavy in comparison to dunlop or bekinas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Have a pair of skellerup quattro sport here with six months, very comfy, insulated and good grip. Think they were around 90e online. Had a pair of muck boots before that and I was lucky they cracked after a few months because they nearly killed me numerous times, absolutely no grip on the soles whatsoever. Always had bekina wellies before that and I'd find it hard to go back to them.

Same issue with the muck boot, carrying two buckets off meal down a slope & feet went from under me, no grip at all

Worth noting that they're extremely heavy in comparison to dunlop or bekinas

Yes they are heavy especially in summer but I have mine nearly 3 years and they are still as good as new. The gateway 1 pro shooter is another wellie I have only heard good things about. I would rather have a good pair that lasts been through my share of Dunlop over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Have tried a few brands over the years.
    Currently have skellurup Quattro, Agile's and Bekina's
    Quattro are very heavy , Agile's are very poor fitting (narrow around the toe) and cold for wellies well over €100 .
    Pound for pound, Bekina's suits me best.
    I suppose everyone's feet are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭alps

Buy a bit of style...fully tax allowable expense

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bought a pair of bekinas in the spring time for a change, a hole came in them after 6 weeks . They were comfortable but should have lasted longer. So back to puroforts and stones getting stuck in the grips

alps wrote: »
    Buy a bit of style...fully tax allowable expense

Id have other things to spend SFP on than a pair of wellies for £360 sterling :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Just bought a pair of Portwest last week. €45. Very light and comfortable and a good grip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bought a pair of bekinas in the spring time for a change, a hole came in them after 6 weeks . They were comfortable but should have lasted longer. So back to puroforts and stones getting stuck in the grips

OH got three pairs of Hunter boots free before they finally gave in and gave her money back,
    Like you I get good wear out of puroforts and they're comfortable as well, I do most of my walks in them too as they're mostly on the bogs with the dogs.
    No leads or pooh bags required there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    OH got three pairs of Hunter boots free before they finally gave in and gave her money back,
    Like you I get good wear out of puroforts and they're comfortable as well, I do most of my walks in them too as they're mostly on the bogs with the dogs

I said something on a post on Facebook about being disappointed with the bekinas and got a few messages from them asking me what type of bekinas etc and why did I think a hole came in them. Then nothing after.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

I said something on a post on Facebook about being disappointed with the bekinas and got a few messages from them asking me what type of bekinas etc and why did I think a hole came in them. Then nothing after.
    I had a pair of them up until recently. Cost about 100 quid. Extremely comfortable Wellington. Like a runner. But only lasted about 10months and I wouldnt be wearing them every day. Few hours at the weekends and that would be it. Not worth the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The crowd I work for occasionally proved me with wellingtons - better than anything you get in the shops in terms of hardiness and longevity. Some Italian brand. I'll check the name later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I had Bekina for a few years but a couple of years ago the quality seemed to get very poor. They seemed to always crack at the back of the wellie between the sole and the boot parts, every time in the same place.

I still can't find anywhere that I might have been putting pressure on that spot. If it was further forward, I would say the ridge of the clutch or brake in the tractor was catching them but it was back near the heel?

I had a new pair of Puroforts last week, went out cleaning out a heap of timber and caught the wellie with a piece of a metal strip. So I'd be reluctant to buy an expensive boot, awkwardness gets expensive.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The crowd I work for occasionally proved me with wellingtons - better than anything you get in the shops in terms of hardiness and longevity. Some Italian brand. I'll check the name later

Same here, have 2 pairs, years old with steel toe caps. Just checked the ones at the back door, Auda - Oil resistant.

I repair splits on regular brands with Gorilla super glue - works a treat.

Martin Hayden had something about farm safety lately, the first thing he should do is order all Dunlop wellingtons to be ground up for horse gallops or something useful. I'd go barefoot before wearing them, slippy dangerous yokes. A couple of weeks ago at a ram sale a farmer was telling me how he fell in his own pen, guess the footwear.

Shod with Bekina Steplites here. The perfect wellington hasn't been invented yet but they're the best in my price range yet anyway.

I have noticed that with Dunlop, once the grip on the sole starts to wear, very slippy. That said, I have only ever bought Dunlop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone have a pair of the dunlop rigger boots wellies ? , thinking of buying a pair as look comfortable. Their about €80

Anyone have a pair of the dunlop rigger boots wellies ? , thinking of buying a pair as look comfortable. Their about €80

You see a lot of construction workers wearing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You see a lot of construction workers wearing similar.

Alot of those lads used to wear the leather version alright , used have a few pairs myself, but these ones are the wellies version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Shod with Bekina Steplites here. The perfect wellington hasn't been invented yet but they're the best in my price range yet anyway.

The grip is great on them. Very comfortable wellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Had a pair of Dunlop purfort plus last winter, got them in end November with a new set of leggings for daily use just morning and evening and for lambing started in January, by the end of February they had cracked on both heals and rotted away with the leggings still perfect, total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

On my second pair of them now. Very comfortable and warm. A real pleasure putting them on on those cold January mornings!

I got around 12 months out of my last pair - the lining wears away and separates from the boot and got a few cuts above the toe, but overall would recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’m the same , I loved the muck boots and broke my heart to put them in recycling bin but they were lethal .. soles were like bananas, Ive the skellerup now but not sport from Greggcare

Advertisement