Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no one to help if you have no water and landlord refuses to do anything?

Options
  • 17-10-2020 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Shocked out of my mind here that there is no one seemingly I can turn to.

Long story short have barely had any water, cold or hot, for months, and now for the past 2 days there is 0 water whatsoever of any kind, nothing for cooking, drinking, showering, flushing the toilet etc. In Dublin city center. Absolutely anyone we turn to - Irish Water, DCC, RTB, etc etc says only landlord can help, as it's some kind of plumbing issue. But the landlord absolutely and completely refuses to do anything about the problem. I did get a plumber out but couldn't fix the issue, something complex is going on that the landlord must be involved in. But the landlord refuses and refuses to engage.

I know the obvious advice is to move out, and that has been the desperate plan for a long time now, but due to various reasons extremely hard right now. Eventually I am sure I will indeed move out, maybe even in the not too distant future, but right now as you can imagine it's an absolute immediate emergency to not have any water, and absolutely no one to turn to - if the landlord doesn't engage, you will remain without water and that's that. I know I should probably just stop paying rent then, but then an even bigger nightmare would be to come home and find the door boarded up etc. - those horror stories you hear, and have to fight them in illegal eviction cases etc.

Like water is a human right, and this is happening in an apartment in Dublin city center. And absolutely not one single government agency can offer any help. Literally you're just left to die.

I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Buy a few drums of water in Aldi or lidl which will tide you over a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Buy a few drums of water in Aldi or lidl which will tide you over a few days

Yep done that. But issue remains no fix is on the horizon. Right now would need to be buying water for weeks/months likely until I move out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

The_Brood wrote: »
    Yep done that. But issue remains no fix is on the horizon. Right now would need to be buying water for weeks/months likely until I move out.

When I was having a similar issue (not as bad as yours), I found the PRTB very good for advice on how to deal with it.

Daisies wrote: »
    When I was having a similar issue (not as bad as yours), I found the PRTB very good for advice on how to deal with it.

I can open up a case with them, but there is nothing they can do in the immediate future, and the case itself would take months and months to reach a decision - by which time I hope to be out of this apartment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I can open up a case with them, but there is nothing they can do in the immediate future, and the case itself would take months and months to reach a decision - by which time I hope to be out of this apartment anyway.

But it's been going on for months do why didn't you go to them at the beginning?

• Advertisement

But it's been going on for months do why didn't you go to them at the beginning?

I've been trying to hang on and survive without evoking further trouble, and with planning I could just about make do with the limited water I received in the apartment - but moving out has taken longer than anticipated - and the real emergency situation of no water of any kind in the apartment is of 2 days ago.

Well what exactly is it you expect them to do? Organise the plumber and repair for you? They are there for complaints and disputes. No agency will just fix the problem or manhandle the landlord.

If it's an apartment, is it just to or neighbors and is there not a management company?

Well what exactly is it you expect them to do? Organise the plumber and repair for you? They are there for complaints and disputes. No agency will just fix the problem or manhandle the landlord.

If it's an apartment, is it just to or neighbors and is there not a management company?

Sorry but this is a pretty ridiculous attitude, and apparently an attitude that is shared by those in power and that has allowed such a situation to transpire.

Water is a human right. End of. It is a necessity for survival. You cannot live without water. So yes there must be an emergency service sent to fix the problem, and yes the landlord must be arrested. If you willfully deprive people of a human right, how is that not a criminal offense? How is that not an emergency service that the government must provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Does your neighbors have water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Could the plumber determine what the problem was. If not you need a second opinion. Keep the receipts. If there is water coming in to the appt it should be at an acceptable pressure. If there is no pressure, your complaint should be with Irish water. If the pressure is fine then the issue is with the landlord. Is it a block of appts. Are there others affected.

Edit: Is there a pump in the appt to circulate the water. Did you used to have water and it suddenly stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

emeldc wrote: »
    Could the plumber determine what the problem was. If not you need a second opinion. Keep the receipts. If there is water coming in to the appt it should be at an acceptable pressure. If there is no pressure, your complaint should be with Irish water. If the pressure is fine then the issue is with the landlord. Is it a block of appts. Are there others affected.

In an apartment anything could be the cause - blockage from neighbours, pipes or service area accessible to management company only - service fee to uisce ireland or whatever they’re called now not paid so services put on a trickle, corroded valve in feeder pipe - anything. Put it in writing to your LL as s/he must know whats going on. Don’t throw bad money after worse if you are planning on moving out in hiring more plumbers if the first was so difficult. Regardless of what others say the police will not come galloping in to save you and its your LL that is the link in chain - nobody can gain access, come in and start digging or fixing without his/her approval. I’d talk with my neighbours, see if I could use their toilet, tell the LL its a sanitary & H&S emergency & you will be having to move to an emergency stay in a hotel if s/he dosn’t resolve it , keep receipts for hotels/whatever is necessary and accelerate my search & move out. Sounds like a total nightmare and clearly something you are no privy to is going on behind the scenes.

In an apartment anything could be the cause - blockage from neighbours, pipes or service area accessible to management company only - service fee to uisce ireland or whatever they’re called now not paid so services put on a trickle, corroded valve in feeder pipe - anything. Put it in writing to your LL as s/he must know whats going on. Don’t throw bad money after worse if you are planning on moving out in hiring more plumbers if the first was so difficult. Regardless of what others say the police will not come galloping in to save you and its your LL that is the link in chain - nobody can gain access, come in and start digging or fixing without his/her approval. I’d talk with my neighbours, see if I could use their toilet, tell the LL its a sanitary & H&S emergency & you will be having to move to an emergency stay in a hotel if s/he dosn’t resolve it , keep receipts for hotels/whatever is necessary and accelerate my search & move out. Sounds like a total nightmare and clearly something you are no privy to is going on behind the scenes.

You’re right, but the plumber should at least have been able to determine whether the issue was internal or external. The op hasn’t given enough info but at the moment if the appt is on the ‘flat’ without an attic of any sort, then my money is on the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,888 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've been trying to hang on and survive without evoking further trouble, and with planning I could just about make do with the limited water I received in the apartment - but moving out has taken longer than anticipated - and the real emergency situation of no water of any kind in the apartment is of 2 days ago.

Don’t worry about evoking trouble.., we are in the middle of a deadly pandemic, you’ve contacted your landlord because you’ve no water and they are shrugging their shoulders in a ‘deal with it’ fashion.. unsat.

Contact the RTB... https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution

They will advise on what best course to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Is the landlord engaging at all? Did the plumber identify where exactly the issue lies? I can’t wrap my head around the landlord doing nothing to sort this. Bizarre!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Yes but they advised me on how to proceed i.e. put the complaint in writing and deliver the letter (either by hand or registered post, emails don't count for proceeding down the line). In it I outlined how long it has been going on, how many times I contacted the letting agent, and cited that water is an emergency as per PRTB and should be fixed in 48 hours or I would get someone to fix it and deduct the amount from the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Contact the Environmental Health section of Dublin City Council and make a complaint. There is a legal obligation on the landlord to resolve the issue afaik. Environmental Health are responsible for enforcement.

http://www.dublincity.ie/housing-and-community-policy-and-initiatives-section/environmental-health#Inspections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Stop paying the rent.

Its not illegal to do so, despite what others may say.

Landlord is in breach of contract.

Get on to Environmental Health first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Stop paying the rent.

Do you have a source for this? The eventuality I see in the legislation is the tenant pays for the matter to be resolved and then then is reimbursed from the LL, through the RTB if necessary. I don't see anything that would allow a tenant to stop paying rent and for the (long) process of eviction not to start.

As always I'm happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Does your neighbors have water ?

The first question to ask in an apartment block.

No answer from OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Do you have a source for this? The eventuality I see in the legislation is the tenant pays for the matter to be resolved and then then is reimbursed from the LL, through the RTB if necessary. I don't see anything that would allow a tenant to stop paying rent and for the (long) process of eviction not to start.

As always I'm happy to be corrected.

There will be no consequences to with holding rent.

Zero chance of eviction until March 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There will be no consequences to with holding rent.

Zero chance of eviction until March 2021

Much longer than that I would imagine, but it doesn't really address the question.

Sorry but this is a pretty ridiculous attitude, and apparently an attitude that is shared by those in power and that has allowed such a situation to transpire.

Water is a human right. End of. It is a necessity for survival. You cannot live without water. So yes there must be an emergency service sent to fix the problem, and yes the landlord must be arrested. If you willfully deprive people of a human right, how is that not a criminal offense? How is that not an emergency service that the government must provide?

what complete waffle and didnt address the key parts of my question. I will just ignore the absolute horse****e part and move on.

Is there a management company and does the neighbour have water???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is your home in an apartment complex or similar managed multi occupancy unit?
    Did the plumber who you had investigate this, tell you if your issue is internal or external?
    Does your toilet flush?
    Do your neighbours have similar issues or are their water supply ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is the rent being paid at present OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Stop paying the rent.

If you stop paying the rent there will be consequences. Landlord will commence eviction process and when the window on restrictions opens, they will be ready to act. And in months time still no water. Better to try authorities, plumber and neighbours or locals to see what is the actual problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This happened to us and it was more that the landlord thought we were exaggerating rather than ignoring the issue. We just rang him every hour until he eventually popped around and admitted that there was an issue. He installed a pump the next day and the issue was resolved, but Irish Water also came out and checked the pipes coming into the house, but found no problem.

Buying water from Lidl/Aldi is not a long-term solution, we had zero water so couldn't even flush the toilet for over a week, so if it is that bad just keep badgering him/her. Raise a dispute with the RTB if they don't engage.

The OP is online and posting in other areas so obviously doesnt care for the answers given. Mad for having people arrested it seems.

Anything to be said for a good aul Lynching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

The OP is online and posting in other areas so obviously doesnt care for the answers given. Mad for having people arrested it seems.

Yep, saw that - would love to hear the landlord's side of this story....

Ah give him a break. He'll be back after he's fried bigger fish.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114985596

• Advertisement

Yeah, think Im done with this thread. Landlord probable hoping for a seperating of ways if the posts here are any indication of behaviour

Advertisement