Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old fashioned lights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lenehans have an awesome selection of lights, including " traditional". Their delivery service is spectacular .

I am still using a very old set and when one bulb goes the rest stay lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    Yes, they were a pain when a bulb blew, and the heat off them was unreal!

Real tree's drying out & the old fashioned lights were a disaster waiting to happen. In fact many a fire test was started using this method, I remember seeing videos of them & how dangerous they were in college, entire living rooms reached flashover in an amazingly short amount of time.

I'll be sticking to my fake fire retardent tree with LED lights, just to be safe ;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have downlight bulbs in my house. When I used 50 watt halogens, before replacing them all with LEDs, the bulbs would be too hot to touch within 10 seconds of turning them on. The light sockets were actually burned black from the heat off them. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    I have downlight bulbs in my house. When I used 50 watt halogens, before replacing them all with LEDs, the bulbs would be too hot to touch within 10 seconds of turning them on. The light sockets were actually burned black from the heat off them. :eek:

Same. We're actually getting 6 halogens in our bathroom changed out to LED's in the next week or so, the heat they generate is incredible. One blew there a few weeks ago & i went to change it, had to leave it for about 20 minutes to cool down before I could touch it. LED's so much safer & energy efficient.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My kitchen (way off topic, sorry not sorry) used to have eight 50 watt bulbs.

When I replaced them with 5w LEDs, that was 40 watts in the entire kitchen, fewer watts than one halogen!!

• Advertisement

If the price starts with a €uro sign, it's usually considerably cheaper when you find it in the UK.
    And retailers wonder why so many customers are shopping elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

VG31 wrote: »
    I have them, they're very nice lights. €35 is a rip-off though. £17 here: https://www.ukchristmasworld.com/products/40-victorian-traditional-indoor-fairy-lanterns-multi-coloured.html

They even used the same picture

Advertisement