Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

This is a disgrace . I demand we start again.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

This is a disgrace . I demand we start again

Im down with that

#justiceforslieveleague

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Can we still change our votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here we go with the tie-breaker.
    Necro wrote: »
    Downpatrick Head Sea Stack

My favourite of the tourney, even makes me vote Mayo over the home county. Just love everything about it.

1 point awarded for a tough vote against hiome county. 1-0 Dun Briste
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Match 1- Gleniff Horseshoe Valley

No reason. 1-0 Dun Briste
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Horseshoe Valley looks just lovely

Half a point is all I can give here. 1 - 0.5 Dun Briste
    Purgative wrote: »

No reason. 1 - 0.5 Dun Briste
    Sea stack

No reason. 1 - 0.5 Dun Briste
    Gleniff Horseshoe - if you haven’t already guessed, I’m in love with the place.

I can give a full point for love. 1.5 - 1.0 Gleniff
    Kolido wrote: »
    The sea stack, oozes awesomeness out there all on its own

Yep, full point for the reference to the isolation. 2.0 - 1.5 to Dun Briste
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Match 1 - Sea stack. Because it's magnificent, and it's by/in the sea

Full point, great description. 3.0 - 1.5 to Dun Briste
    Gleniff Horseshoe Valley ; I feel like there's more to it than the sea stack, and I find it more scenic

Great reason. Another full point. 3.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Hello 2 D Person Below reached out me earlier and I have accepted their votes via PM.

No reasons given via PM. 3.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    Sawduck wrote: »
    Downpatrick Head Sea Stack, looks so awesome and is one of my favourite places in Ireland

Can award a full point as Sawduck states it's among their favourites in the country. 4.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    Match 1: Dún Briste sea stack - a good run from the horseshoe and it might have been a different vote had Ben Bulben made it through for Sligo.

No real reason. Pining for Ben Bulben more :p. Remains 4.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    1. Gleniff Horseshoe Valley

No reason. 4.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    Dún briste

No reason. 4.0 - 2.5 to Dun Briste
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Match 1- Gleniff Horseshoe Valley
    The whole area is beautiful, and there is so much more including a cave and the views!

Perfect. Full point. 4.0 - 3.5 to Dun Briste
    Green&Red wrote: »
    Downpatrick Head Sea Stack, big fan, its the number one place I bring visitors to in Mayo. I always think its a shame there isn't a busier town close by, I think between it and the Ceide Fields Ballycastle is one of the most impressive villages in Ireland. If anybody ever wants a romantic weekend away you could do much worse than to check out Stella Maris, just take a look at pics on the home page and you'll be convinced

Would give extra for this if I could (well, I could but I wont!).
    5.0 - 3.5 to Dun Briste
    Sligo
    Gleniff Horseshoe Valley
    Just looks stunning, and so much more to it. I've seen the sea attack, and I like it, but don't share the love others do

Spot on. Full point. 5.0 - 4.5 to Dun Briste
    Need Mayo in the final :)

Tenuous! A very skepical half point here for county loyalty. 5.5 - 4.5 to Dun Briste
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Valley. The valley wins because there is nothing special about a rock sticking out of the sea the coast is full of them

This doesn't say much for the Valley. Half for me. 5.5 - 5.0 to Dun Briste
    pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Horseshoe valley.

No reason. 5.5 - 5.0 to Dun Bris
    I vote for Sligo and Waterford. They are both so crap at Gaelic football they deserve to make it to this final.

Nothing of merit. 5.5 - 5.0 to Dun Briste

It's just pure class - every time I see it on this thread I'm more excited for my next journey up that side of the country to go see it!!

Point awarded. 6.5 - 5.0 to Dun Briste
    mehico wrote: »
    Gleniff horseshoe valley

No reason. 6.5 - 5.0 to Dun Briste
    Trigger wrote: »
    The Valley - I love a valley and that road leading into it is absolutely magnificent

Perfect reason. Point awarded. 6.5 - 6.0 to Dun Briste

Dun Briste aka Downpatrick Head Sea Stack advances to the final.

• Advertisement

This is a disgrace . I demand we start again.

These are truly beautiful places but you could throw a dart at 50% of the counties in Ireland and find equally stunning landscapes:)

giphy.gif

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If theres 24 votes in semi 1 and 23 in semi 2 who sold out Newgrange by abstaining

Some blow-in called Mehico who didn't even vote at all in the whole tourniw nor did they give a reason :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Some blow-in called Mehico who didn't even vote at all in the whole tourniw nor did they give a reason :pac::pac::pac:
    Null and void their vote in the first!

Edit: just checked and they voted for the valley anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Unlucky Strawbs, that was some battle

• Advertisement

This is so close I think it’s only fair that we have a straight playoff
    4 semi finalists and Skelligs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is so close I think it’s only fair that we have a straight playoff
    4 semi finalists and Skelligs

Seconded!

Dun Briste aka Downpatrick Head Sea Stack advances to the final.

8647334287_b1c0134017_o.gif

60 Minute Time Limit. Most votes wins!!!

Waterford

Coumshingaun Lough

coumshingaun-lough.jpg

VS

Mayo

DEh1EC0XYAAHt5w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus the GAA heartbreakers Waterford vs Mayo

I'm going with my local Coumshingaun Lough

Great game really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Has to be Coumshingaun for me.

It was there long before civilisation, and it'll be there long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sea stack all the way.

Sea, rock, magnificence, blow holes, cliffs, views, sea.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Two lovely bits of scenery make it a great final.

But I'm going to have to stick with my nomination, Coumshingaun.

Discovered it by chance online a couple of years ago - couldn't believe it wasn't better known.

Finally made my way down to it for the first time last month, and it is utterly spectacular. Sitting at the lakeside and watching the tiny stick people move around on the ridge hundreds of feet about you, and listening to the echoes around as well (it's a natural amphitheatre as well) - it's a great experience. Not too busy either - maybe 40 people there, but plenty of room and doesn't feel at all crowded. What more could you ask for?

So Coumshingaun for me. Looking forward to the next trip there to finally take on the ridge in full.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've backed it all the way and I'm sticking with it

I think either are a worthy winner but I just think this is amazing. A prime example about how wonderful and yet terrifying the sea is.

From the Eire message to the blowholes, it's just an incredible landmark in Ireland.

Someone said we had a lot of rocks out in the sea all around the country, maybe so - but nothing quite as unique as Dun Briste.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Coumshingaun Lough all day long. It's stunning. If you're in doubt watch the drone video that was posted earlier. It's breath taking.

• Advertisement

It broke away 600 years ago apparently.... magestic
    I was certain Skelligs would win this but won’t begrudge mayo a win

Sea stack. Just sitting out there minding its own business. I cant recall if Ive heard of it before this contest. It looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sea Stack - apparently before it separated from the mainland there was a house on top of it.

This is a relatively new sea stack as it was only separated of the mainland Ireland in 1393 when monster seas severed it from County Mayo in an overnight storm. The summit of the stack is approximately 50 metres long and 15 metres across the centre. This flattopped stack contains the remains of the buildings where people were living on the night of the great storm. In 1980 three scientists landed on the summit by helicopter and spent a couple of hours examining the remains of the buildings and plant life still surviving there. They discovered the remains of a building running across the centre of the headland with enough details left to say that both people and livestock lived together inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Coumshingaun Lough ; both are impressive, but the lough holds more of a draw to me, has a certain mysticism that I'm not feeling from the sea stacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

I'll vote for the sea stacks, the magical place where people and livestock live together in peace and harmony.

Fantastic West of Ireland coastline. The wild Atlantic has shaped so much of the coast & this is a beautiful example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Coumshingaun Lough ( no words required )
    The picture says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Coumshingaun Lough, breathtaking scenery and a really nice walk along the way to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

Ah balls I went for a run and forgot about this. Was gonna vote for gleniff horseshoe and I see it lost by half a point .. can't believe it.

I'll give my vote to the seastack. I've been there and not to the lough so I know how impressive it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ScoobyDosent

Downpatrick sea stack please and thank you.
    When you are "beside " it you realise just how insignificant we really are.
    Hopefully the winner showcasing nature and our spectacular coastline at its finest.
    Thanks O Mack.

Advertisement