Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillbilly Elegy - Netflix - Ron Howard, Glenn Close & Amy Adams

Options
  • 14-10-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭

Arrives on Netflix on November 2th with a limited cinema release as well.
    .D. Vance (Gabriel Basso), a former Marine from southern Ohio and current Yale Law student, is on the verge of landing his dream job when a family crisis forces him to return to the home he’s tried to forget. J.D. must navigate the complex dynamics of his Appalachian family, including his volatile relationship with his mother Bev (Amy Adams), who’s struggling with addiction. Fueled by memories of his grandmother Mamaw (Glenn Close), the resilient and whip-smart woman who raised him, J.D. comes to embrace his family’s indelible imprint on his own personal journey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Interesting. The book was great. I'll be giving this a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Oh thanks for sharing this, had no idea it had been made into a movie! The book was very interesting and thought-provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Read the book ages ago and it felt like it was one of those where the author tells a great life story but it falls flat on its face because it tires to extrapolate a grand theory from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lordy, it has "Oscar Bait" written all over it. Or as I saw someone else remark elsewhere; "Acting: The Movie".

I like Ron Howard, I think he attracts more stick than he deserves but that really does look like something manufactured to please The Academy. All it's missing is some obnoxiosuly trite reduction on American race problems ala "The Blind Side", "Green Book", or "Driving Miss Daisy".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I just watched that and started to wonder was this a parody.

You've seen Scary Movie.
    You've seen Date Movie.
    You've seen Epic Movie...

Now get ready for OSCAR MOVIE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

The best I ever heard about Ron Howard was he's Ron "I'm happy with 3/5" Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just seen the trailer to this. It looks great! Can't wait. Movie night. I LOVE Amy Adams. Glenn Close is fab too. Woohoo!

Advertisement