Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I often see the House series mentioned, but it only just reminds that House (Hausu) is the greatest horror-comedy ever made.

I picked up the Eureka Blu ray of this a while ago and watched it last night. It managed to top Happiness Of The Katakuris as the most perplexing Japanese film I've seen, which is no mean feat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I quite liked the rob zombie Halloween 1 and 2 films from a few years ago also. They were vicious.

I liked some bits of both but my preferred way to revisit them is a fanedit version that combines both, under the name The Myers Family. Worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    I picked up the Eureka Blu ray of this a while ago and watched it last night. It managed to top Happiness Of The Katakuris as the most perplexing Japanese film I've seen, which is no mean feat.

Now go watch Symbol (not a horror, but next level joyfully perplexing) by Hitoshi Matsumoto if you can find it, but do not read a single thing about it before you hit play ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Saw The Craft years ago. Watched it again the other night and enjoyed it.

Now go watch Symbol (not a horror, but next level joyfully perplexing) by Hitoshi Matsumoto if you can find it, but do not read a single thing about it before you hit play ;)

I caught that on Mubi a while back based on your recommendation, and it was great. Baffling, but great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Mark Kermode Exorcist doc is up on iPlayer. never before seen festival cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

mrcheez wrote: »
    I saw Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects recently on Shudder and it's very good... typical ott violence of course!

Also Mandy starring an insane Nicolas Cage ... slow moving initially but watch it just to see N Cage's crazy eyes ;)

I’ve seen The Devil’s Rejects a couple of times and enjoyed it so I was really looking forward to the sequel, 3 From Hell. What a letdown, it’s absolutely dire.

Recently watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe and Fractured.
    Fractured wasn’t too bad, the other one was distinctly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't The Devil's Rejects a sequel to House of a Thousand Corpses? Or the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Watched Child's Play. Surprisingly decent and willing to take the piss out of itself.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't The Devil's Rejects a sequel to House of a Thousand Corpses? Or the other way around?

Yeah you’re right. 3 From Hell picks up right at the end of The Devil’s Rejects. Suppose it’s more of a ‘Part 2’ than a sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think it was this thread someone mentioned Inside No. 9? Whoever it was, thank you, what an absolutely cracking little show it is :)

Homelander wrote: »
    Watched Child's Play. Surprisingly decent and willing to take the piss out of itself.

The original or the remake?

I think I might get the Childs play box set next year. I've only seen the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

hocus-pocus-sjp-1572607879.png

Will it actually happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Watched 'the cabin in the woods' last night, really enjoyed it, different.

Also, an old classic I love to watch if the weather's right: The fog.

I've run out of English language horror ;) so have been looking into more foreign titles on Shudder and have found a couple of good ones recently:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7549892/

Aterrados (Terrified) 2017 - Argentina

"When strange events occur in a neighborhood in Buenos Aires, a doctor specializing in the paranormal, her colleague, and an ex police officer decide to investigate further."

I loved this one. I'm a sucker for a good jump scare and this one has it's share but doesn't rely solely upon them. It's not perfect, a bit slow in parts, but it is very creepy and, at times, horrific.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2640474/

La casa del fin de los tiempos (The House at the End of Time) 2013 - Venezuela

"Dulce is a mother of two who experiences terrifying encounters with apparitions inside her old house, a place where a tragedy occurs. Thirty years later, an elderly Dulce returns home to decipher the mystery that has tormented her for so long."

Maybe more of a thriller with a few jump scares than a horror but a great well-paced story that pulls you in from the very beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I've run out of English language horror ;) so have been looking into more foreign titles on Shudder and have found a couple of good ones recently:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7549892/

Aterrados (Terrified) 2017 - Argentina

"When strange events occur in a neighborhood in Buenos Aires, a doctor specializing in the paranormal, her colleague, and an ex police officer decide to investigate further."

I loved this one. I'm a sucker for a good jump scare and this one has it's share but doesn't rely solely upon them. It's not perfect, a bit slow in parts, but it is very creepy and, at times, horrific.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2640474/

La casa del fin de los tiempos (The House at the End of Time) 2013 - Venezuela

"Dulce is a mother of two who experiences terrifying encounters with apparitions inside her old house, a place where a tragedy occurs. Thirty years later, an elderly Dulce returns home to decipher the mystery that has tormented her for so long."

Maybe more of a thriller with a few jump scares than a horror but a great well-paced story that pulls you in from the very beginning.

A decent horror I watched late on Film4 one night was the Turkish horror "Baskin". Maintains a tense and chilling atmosphere throughout.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4935418/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Have 47 metres down, Drag me to Hell and Ouija origins recorded from Film 4 on Halloween night. Which should I watch later folks?

Drag me to Hell is the best imo, then 47 meters. Depends what you want. Sharks or scary pensioners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Audition is on Shudder at the moment

****ed up movie that one, but another recommendation to add here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I haven’t watch Us yet. Is it anywhere near as good as Get Out??
    Get Out, Cabin in the woods, It Follows, and Sinister are great modern horrors.

Audition is incredible.

Us has polarised audiences slightly and it is very interesting. Visually it has great rhythm and Peele is great at directing actors. I'd say it was one of the years few must watch films. Get Out had a very clear and precise idea behind it whereas Us is a bit more crazy and disjointed.

Bump

Hey guys :)

What are the best/newest horror films on Netflix/Prime/Shudder?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Have skim through this thread, I found some gems I would have missed and some new ones aswell.
    Host (2020) is a good one off the top of my head.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058095198/18/#post114909194

El Duda wrote: »
    Bump

Hey guys :)

What are the best/newest horror films on Netflix/Prime/Shudder?

Vivarium on Shudder with Jesse Eisenberg is excellent and very creepy.

Directed and Produced by an Irish team, but you'd hardly believe it wasn't made by a top Hollywood producer.

Apparently it's only available on the Irish shudder... maybe the UK one too.

There's a lot of talk about Host on Shudder being the film of the Lockdown era, which I haven't seen yet. But Vivarium is really good and also has unexpected relevance in the context of Lockdown.

There's a lot of talk about Host on Shudder being the film of the Lockdown era, which I haven't seen yet. But Vivarium is really good and also has unexpected relevance in the context of Lockdown.

Host was surprisingly effective... I thought it would be cheap and like a Hell House rip off or similar, but I actually had a few chills up my spine with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At this time of year, it's almost a contractual obligation to have some Carpenter goodness - Halloween and The Thing being the obvious choices, although I also have a soft spot for The Fog.

Everyone says The Fog and Halloween, nobody says In the Mouth of Madness and the Prince of Darkness

Its sad

Trick r Treat is a good Halloween film, great production and sets

A Dark Song, The Canal and The Borderlands are three good watches if you want slow burning occult horrors, small budgets and casts but they're good

Its well worth signing up to Shudder for a free trial over Halloween too, theres some good films on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mrcheez wrote: »
    Host was surprisingly effective... I thought it would be cheap and like a Hell House rip off or similar, but I actually had a few chills up my spine with that one

I thought Host was awful, I wanted the entire cast dead within 10 minutes :D

Advertisement