Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I know that?

What a strange interjection...
    What a pity this is a private conversation between the two of us and no one else could possibly find it interesting. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

you have that backwards. Iraq owed Kuwait billions for loans to finance the Iran-iraq war. Invading kuwait would clear the debt

It depends what books you are reading pal.

I think everyone know the truth at this stage. The entire " crisis" was concocted by the CIA and the Bushes. I don't need any further convincing. The WOMD debacle 10 years later was just adding insult to the misery of millions of Iraqi civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mikhail wrote: »
    What a pity this is a private conversation between the two of us and no one else could possibly find it interesting. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought to. Good hustle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭blackwhite

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I think everyone know the truth at this stage. The entire " crisis" was concocted by the CIA and the Bushes. I don't need any further convincing. The WOMD debacle 10 years later was just adding insult to the misery of millions of Iraqi civilians.

Off to the conspiracy forum with that rubbish.

Kuwait (and others) loaned money to Iraq, which Iraq was refusing to pay.

At the same time, Iraq was alleging that Kuwait was stealing Iraqi oil using "slant-drilling" methods, and demanded compensation for the allegedly stolen oil.

Nobody anywhere - except for you - has claimed that Iraq was lending money to Kuwait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lads, whatever about what prompted the actual invasion, Iraq were claiming Kuwait since at least the 1930s, and certainly once Kuwait gained independence from Britain in 1961.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    Off to the conspiracy forum with that rubbish.

Kuwait (and others) loaned money to Iraq, which Iraq was refusing to pay.

At the same time, Iraq was alleging that Kuwait was stealing Iraqi oil using "slant-drilling" methods, and demanded compensation for the allegedly stolen oil.

Nobody anywhere - except for you - has claimed that Iraq was lending money to Kuwait

As I said it depends what books you are reading.:)

Spanish Civil War ( in Spanish )

Blue are the nationalists in 1936

Dark green at the end of 1936

Green at the end of 1937

Light green at the end of 1938

Yellow at the beginning of 1939

Red, the remaining territory under republican control.

kyr4yvwbmoq51.jpg

fxh6nc5fngu41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,281 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

my books aren't mainly composed of pictures. if you think a nation involved in a ruinous decade war long was lending money to a country like kuwait that didnt need it then nothing anybody will say can convince you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Map of some of the more bizarre voting districts in the USA, where Gerrymandering is rife. There's a good article here, which also mentions the infamous Gerrymandering that went on in Derry.

imrs.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Donegal was a complete mystery to the mapmakers (as it still is to many today due to its roads). Look where they placed Lough Foyle.

Presumably everyone has heard of Bull Island or to use it's correct name, North Bull Island.
    It's southern counterpart is shown on this map by Captain William Bligh (he of the Bounty) in 1801. The South Bull is the area which includes Sandymount Strand...

15-bligh-dublin-bay-1803.jpg
    More info...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

my books aren't mainly composed of pictures. if you think a nation involved in a ruinous decade war long was lending money to a country like kuwait that didnt need it then nothing anybody will say can convince you otherwise.

I have to use crayons in my books ..
    But iraq invaded kuwait in the 60s as well ,(61 ? ) and claimed it since then , the Kuwaiti's and Saudis lent iraq huge amounts during the iran iraq war , which iraq took objection to being asked to pay back ,
    ( Since they fought the war the Kuwaiti's and Saudis wanted ) ..
    A quick win over kuwait would get them more oil , a cancellation of Kuwaiti debt ,huge leverage over saudi debt , war booty and most importantly a big propaganda victory for the home crowd ,
    And what was anyone gonna do once they were firmly in control of kuwait ? Ha, it'd take an enourmous force to shift them ... Ah crap ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Presumably everyone has heard of Bull Island or to use it's correct name, North Bull Island.
    It's southern counterpart is shown on this map by Captain William Bligh (he of the Bounty) in 1801. The South Bull is the area which includes Sandymount Strand...

15-bligh-dublin-bay-1803.jpg
    More info...

I find it very interesting that there are English miles, Irish miles and geographical miles....all different!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,281 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Markcheese wrote: »
    I have to use crayons in my books ..
    But iraq invaded kuwait in the 60s as well ,(61 ? ) and claimed it since then , the Kuwaiti's and Saudis lent iraq huge amounts during the iran iraq war , which iraq took objection to being asked to pay back ,
    ( Since they fought the war the Kuwaiti's and Saudis wanted ) ..
    A quick win over kuwait would get them more oil , a cancellation of Kuwaiti debt ,huge leverage over saudi debt , war booty and most importantly a big propaganda victory for the home crowd ,
    And what was anyone gonna do once they were firmly in control of kuwait ? Ha, it'd take an enourmous force to shift them ... Ah crap ...

great, you have have just confirmed everything i said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭blackwhite

As I said it depends what books you are reading.:)

No - there’s what actually happened, and then there’s the various conspiracy theories perpetuated afterwards by the tinfoil hat brigade

Nobody - not even Iraq - ever claimed that Iraq loaned money to Kuwait.

Iraq claimed they were owed payment for “stolen” oil.

Either you made a mistake and are now doubling down on it instead of admitting a mistake - or you’re a proponent of one ridiculously off the wall conspiracy theory that even Saddam Hussein didn’t even try to claim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

highdef wrote: »
    I find it very interesting that there are English miles, Irish miles and geographical miles....all different!

And they haven't even mentioned the country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

High speed railways in China. 2008 vs 2018.

Ek-PEN2-KWs-AEs-ANz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Nexytus wrote: »
    High speed railways in China. 2008 vs 2018.

snip

On a similar note, this gif shows the Beijing subway routes from 2001 to 2016. They've added to it since 2016 too.

subwaygif2-01.gif

We should make a gif of physical track built in Ireland since the Victorian age. Shouldn't take too long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We should make a gif of physical track built in Ireland since the Victorian age. Shouldn't take too long.

Ireland%27s_Rail_Network_1925-75.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Hoop66

chosen1 wrote: »
    I'm strongest at Hawaii followed by New England area.

They have done an Irish and British dialect one which is pretty decent. Places me in Leinster excluding the Pale area (from Longford)

Try it out
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

Very interesting. Absolutely nailed me - two hotspots, where I went to school and where I went to University.

Ireland%27s_Rail_Network_1925-75.gif

Sorry, you misread what I was getting at.

I said "built", not taken away.

Whatever about the dismantling of the railways, it's old news, like that gif.

The ones from China show the railways that they've built in that span.

So, I was saying it would be nice to see a gif of every new railway (light and heavy) we've built since independence.

Which would be a bit of the WRC pt. 1 and M3 Parkway, Ballybrophy branch (which are just reopening of old lines) and the Luas lines, part of which operates over old rail beds.

Am I missing anything?

I think it would be a more damning gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sorry, you misread what I was getting at.

I said "built", not taken away.

Whatever about the dismantling of the railways, it's old news, like that gif.

The ones from China show the railways that they've built in that span.

So, I was saying it would be nice to see a gif of every new railway (light and heavy) we've built since independence.

Which would be a bit of the WRC pt. 1 and M3 Parkway, Ballybrophy branch (which are just reopening of old lines) and the Luas lines, part of which operates over old rail beds.

Am I missing anything?

I think it would be a more damning gif.

It's still a cool map.

It's still a cool map.

Oh it is. Not disputing it. Big fan of the gif.

I just get annoyed seeing the infrastructural improvement across the world and all that we do here is lament at what could have been rather than lose the rag at what we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I was a young lad growing up on a farm in Cork in the 60s. Sleepers were all over the place as the Bandon line was lifted.

Advertisement