Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Mon-Fri very common round here for students and workers who live in other parts of the country. Big demand for that type of accommodation. (at the right price of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s a studio apartment in someone’s house. €700 per month in Dublin 7, including utilities, and looks like a nice place. Some people don’t want to stay weekends, and if they find a place that costs half what it might cost for 7 days, everyone is a winner.

Isn’t that pretty close to Grangegorman Campus?

Hotels in the area are cheaper than that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Blut2

Sunday->Friday in the 5 star Radisson hotel, with breakfasts and dinners included, is only 500eur these days:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/five-star-radisson-blu-in-dublin-offers-student-accommodation-from-500-39524047.html

Undoubtedly cheaper again too if you agreed to monthly/longer terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What hotel is €700 PM?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    What hotel is €700 PM?

Several hotels are down to €40 a night. Given that the studio in question is only available midweek and thus for a maximum of 20 nights a month, the hotel would be better value.

• Advertisement

Several hotels are down to €40 a night. Given that the studio in question is only available midweek and thus for a maximum of 20 nights a month, the hotel would be better value.

Linky please?

I am actually looking for a hotel for 3 weeks. So if you know of even one please post it.

Linky please?

I am actually looking for a hotel for 3 weeks. So if you know of even one please post it.

What area are you looking in?

What area are you looking in?

Dublin 7 or Dublin 1 would be perfect. Not one of those dives that are not better than hostels though that you see on gardener street.
    I stayed in one of those once and im still itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

cgcsb wrote: »
    So you basically couldn't even keep your personal things there because some stranger would be routing around in them. No way to live and an absolutely unreasonable condition. It isn't half the price of nearby studios.

Long term Mon-Friday rentals don’t require you to take your stuff away on Friday, it usually means the home owner doesn’t want the licensees around at weekends. You can lock your door before you leave on Friday.

A quick scan of one beds in Phibsborough range up to €1700 pm, this one actually looks like a nice place, and it includes all utilities. For someone who goes home at weekends, it looks ok to me.

Dublin 7 or Dublin 1 would be perfect. Not one of those dives that are not better than hostels though that you see on gardener street.
    I stayed in one of those once and im still itchy.

Try the Hendrick.

• Advertisement

Try the Hendrick.

Thanks.
    Just tried it.
    Its nowhere near €700 for the month. More like 3 to 4 times that.
    Would have been handy enough if it was €700 for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Blut2

Linky please?

The 4* Hilton is down to 54eur a night:

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/home-truths-now-cheaper-to-live-at-the-hilton-than-d1-studio-flat-39579652.html

So there must be some even cheaper deals around on 2* or 3* hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Blut2 wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/home-truths-now-cheaper-to-live-at-the-hilton-than-d1-studio-flat-39579652.html

thats down by the IFSC. I run through there a couple of times per week and it is a ghost town. I presume that hotel primarily got business from IFSC, Convntion Centre and concerts in 3 Arena and tourists. All 4 are gone for now.

Blut2 wrote: »

Not to worry.
    Just have to move out for a few weeks as some major work being done.

Someone on here said there were hotels in Dublin for €700PM.
    I got my hopes up :)
    But of course there arent.

Not to worry.
    Just have to move out for a few weeks as some major work being done.

Someone on here said there were hotels in Dublin for €700PM.
    I got my hopes up :)
    But of course there arent.

If you are looking for 21 nights that is a different thing to a few nights midweek.

If you are looking for 21 nights that is a different thing to a few nights midweek.

When you said hotels were cheaper than the room advertised on the previous page I didnt realize you were making it up, so I actually thought to myself - "hooray, cheap hotel. Maybe covid has worked out in my favor at last".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Long term Mon-Friday rentals don’t require you to take your stuff away on Friday, it usually means the home owner doesn’t want the licensees around at weekends. You can lock your door before you leave on Friday.

A quick scan of one beds in Phibsborough range up to €1700 pm, this one actually looks like a nice place, and it includes all utilities. For someone who goes home at weekends, it looks ok to me.

700e a month to live in a glorified garden shed you can't be in at the weekends?

Why do you possibly start talking about the upper end of the market when this is so clearly rooted to the bottom? Strange stuff.

When you said hotels were cheaper than the room advertised on the previous page I didnt realize you were making it up, so I actually thought to myself - "hooray, cheap hotel. Maybe covid has worked out in my favor at last".

You are not comparing like with like. It will certainly be possible to negotiate deals with hotels at the moment at a lower price than that studio. Some are accepting €40 per night midweek but they won't advertise it. You are trying to get a straight 21 day deal which will include weekends. All you have done is go to a website.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    700e a month to live in a glorified garden shed you can't be in at the weekends?

Why do you possibly start talking about the upper end of the market when this is so clearly rooted to the bottom? Strange stuff.

Owlszat, strange is it may sound, some people only want to be in Dublin Monday to Friday, and are looking for a nice place that is cheaper than renting a one bed apartment. Do do you know who this particular property suits? Someone who wants to stay in Dublin Monday to Friday and wants to pay less than a one bed apartment. Get over it, it might not suit you, it might suit someone else.

Doesn’t look like it’s rooted at the bottom to me, looks quite nice, and it includes utilities. As a student I stayed in a lot worse for comparatively more.

Not a bad price for living in one of the coolest places in the world,

https://www.thejournal.ie/phibsborough-dublin-one-of-coolest-neighbourhoods-5225624-Oct2020/

You are not comparing like with like. It will certainly be possible to negotiate deals with hotels at the moment at a lower price than that studio. Some are accepting €40 per night midweek but they won't advertise it. You are trying to get a straight 21 day deal which will include weekends. All you have done is go to a website.

So you are saying you cant get hotels for the same price as that room ion the area now?
    Make up your mind.
    Why post that post?
    Can you or cant you?

Dav010 posted this.
    It’s a studio apartment in someone’s house. €700 per month in Dublin 7, including utilities, and looks like a nice place. Some people don’t want to stay weekends, and if they find a place that costs half what it might cost for 7 days, everyone is a winner.

Isn’t that pretty close to Grangegorman Campus?

Then you made up this to argue with him.

Why do you need to make stuff up? It helps nobody. You are always doing it.

• Advertisement

Why do you need to make stuff up? It helps nobody. You are always doing it.

I don't make anything up, unlike some people.

I don't make anything up, unlike some people.

Whatever you say. :rolleyes:
    People can go page a page and read it and decide for themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cut it out you two. Seriously- post in a civilised manner- and if you have an issue with something that someone posts- refute it in a factual manner, without resorting to name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Owlszat, strange is it may sound, some people only want to be in Dublin Monday to Friday, and are looking for a nice place that is cheaper than renting a one bed apartment. Do do you know who this particular property suits? Someone who wants to stay in Dublin Monday to Friday and wants to pay less than a one bed apartment. Get over it, it might not suit you, it might suit someone else.

Doesn’t look like it’s rooted at the bottom to me, looks quite nice, and it includes utilities. As a student I stayed in a lot worse for comparatively more.

Not a bad price for living in one of the coolest places in the world,

https://www.thejournal.ie/phibsborough-dublin-one-of-coolest-neighbourhoods-5225624-Oct2020/

It includes utilities because being a garden shed its power is run from the actual house.

Week only arrangements suit plenty of students. They're called digs. You let a room to them in your house and provide a meal and often some company/security. Good luck with letting out your shed.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    It includes utilities because being a garden shed its power is run from the actual house.

Week only arrangements suit plenty of students. They're called digs. You let a room to them in your house and provide a meal and often some company/security. Good luck with letting out your shed.

I’m struggling to see what it is about this place that annoys you so much.

This was not digs, it is a self contained studio with bedroom, living room and kitchenette, and all utilities included. The ad seems to have gone from the link, so chances are, someone has a different view to you.

I didn’t see where it said it was a shed. Unless I am mistaken, the photo of the bedroom gave a view down the garden from inside, it certainly didn’t give any indication that it was detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of money I'm saving in lockdown, living at home. Realistically, I can't see rents reducing longterm until there's a substantial increase in supply, which is years away. Fingers crossed remote working becomes a thing permanently.

Substantial increase in supply? Have you seen how many new BTR apartments are under construction in Dublin with biggest one in Cherrywood over 3000 units this just example.
    Big block apartments are build in Santry and Harold Cross at the moment and many more places. I don't think we need to wait years to see increase in supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I see Vesta living in Clongriffin are offering one months rent free if you move in before Christmas
    They must be feeling the pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Ozark707

brisan wrote: »
    I see Vesta living in Clongriffin are offering one months rent free if you move in before Christmas

Who is going to pay those rates now when you can probably get similar in the CC etc? Sensible move by them. Wonder will existing tenants now go looking for similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

brisan wrote: »

is there nothing in the rent cap legislation to prevent this. This is nonsense...either rents need to come down or not. Presume to RTB will have nothing to say on it. it doesnt work the other way around where rent is say 1k pre month but for one month only ( because its 50% under market) we will charge you 6k. ...but your rent is still 1k per month

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote: »
    is there nothing in the rent cap legislation to prevent this. This is nonsense...either rents need to come down or not. Presume to RTB will have nothing to say on it. it doesnt work the other way around where rent is say 1k pre month but for one month only ( because its 50% under market) we will charge you 6k. ...but your rent is still 1k per month

Someone will have to complain to the RTB and let them make a ruling. If it is a 12 month lease, it is arguable that the monthly rent is in fact 11 times the months rent divided by 12. That may well create an issue when there is an attempt to revise the rent upwards.

Advertisement