Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown - how recently filmed are the episodes??

Options
  • 18-12-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

So I tuned in today excited to se who would be replacing the beautiful Rachel after the happy news about the birth of her first born.
    But there she is still looking beautiful, solving maths riddles but looking extremely pregnant.
    I almost choked on my afternoon tea and cake with shock and surprise. I always thought Countdown was filmed almost current to the day.
    Anyone know how recently filmed it is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

So I tuned in today excited to se who would be replacing the beautiful Rachel after the happy news about the birth of her first born.
    But there she is still looking beautiful, solving maths riddles but looking extremely pregnant.
    I almost choked on my afternoon tea and cake with shock and surprise. I always thought Countdown was filmed almost current to the day.
    Anyone know how recently filmed it is??

They film 5 episodes a day but I dunno how far in advance

Usually a couple of months in advance.

I remember reading about it ages ago but forget the specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Usually a couple of months in advance.

I remember reading about it ages ago but forget the specifics.

I vaguely remember hearing 5 days a weeks for 4-8 weeks at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Rachel is a horrible person now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Today is start of a new season, it’s season 82.
    But Rachel is still pregnant.
    Wtf is going on here?? Are we in the Matrix??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There's roughly a 3 month lag. A guy I play golf with was on the show in October. The episodes were recorded during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

5 a day so 25 per week multiplied by the filming run which is I think 5 - 8 weeks

Countdown is back!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think I read somewhere that they recorded a load of episodes before she went on maternity so that she wouldn't miss any work while she was off, I think they do 2 recording schedules a year, 1 in the summer and 1 in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

I was on the show in 2016 and it aired almost exactly 3 months later, they record 5 episodes a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

mloc123 wrote: »
    Rachel is a horrible person now...

Yeah, i followed her on Twitter for a while and while i wouldn't describe her as horrible..... it was well, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Degag wrote: »
    Yeah, i followed her on Twitter for a while and while i wouldn't describe her as horrible..... it was well, strange.

What kinda stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

robwen wrote: »
    What kinda stuff?

Ah just extremely political i thought. Hated Jeremy Corbyn. Had to unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What kinda stuff?

Very pro-Israel and attacks anyone who expresses concern for Palestinians. Paints anyone who disagrees as an anti Semite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What kinda stuff?

Conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nick Hewer is leaving Countdown

https://news.sky.com/story/countdown-host-nick-hewer-announces-he-is-leaving-the-show-after-10-years-12154193

I never liked him as a host, he didn't bring anything to the show and it felt like he was ticking off the rounds like he just wanted to get through it.

It'll be interesting to see who replaces him (or if they go for guest hosts)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Skid X wrote: »
    Nick Hewer is leaving Countdown

https://news.sky.com/story/countdown-host-nick-hewer-announces-he-is-leaving-the-show-after-10-years-12154193

I never liked him as a host, he didn't bring anything to the show and it felt like he was ticking off the rounds like he just wanted to get through it.

It'll be interesting to see who replaces him (or if they go for guest hosts)

He was due to take a break due to covid, and Colin Murray was pencilled in as his replacement, imagine he'd be the fore runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

ooter wrote: »
    I was on the show in 2016 and it aired almost exactly 3 months later, they record 5 episodes a day.

How did you get on?

Me nosy!

Would Dara O’Brian be a good replacement. He seems fairly intelligent and a good match. Dunno if he is restricted to bbc tho.

Anne Robinson is the new Countdown host

I don't think she is a good fit for it

https://twitter.com/PackedLunchC4/status/1361318946578845696

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Anne Robinson is the new Countdown host

I don't think she is a good fit for it

https://twitter.com/PackedLunchC4/status/1361318946578845696

Anyone will be better than Colin Murray.

I think Dara o’Brian wuda been a good host.

Anyone will be better than Colin Murray.

I think Dara o’Brian wuda been a good host.

I thought Colin did a fine job

Nice friendly manner, bit of chat, decent bit of energy compared to Nick Hewer

Couldn't see Dara doing it, he has lots of other things going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Not Colin's biggest fan but I've enjoyed him hosting the show. Not sure if I'll like Anne Robinson as host.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The combination of Rachel Riley and Colin Murray was pretty much my least favourite two people on television brought together to ruin a show I used to really like. Then one week they brought in Adrian Chiles on dictionary corner to complete the trifecta. Not sure how much of an improvement Anne Robinson would be though.

It's basically unwatchable for me now anyway with Riley on it, she really has shown herself up as a nasty enough person underneath all the make up and glamour unfortunately. I still watch catsdown sometimes despite her though as I do like the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The combination of Rachel Riley and Colin Murray was pretty much my least favourite two people on television brought together to ruin a show I used to really like. Then one week they brought in Adrian Chiles on dictionary corner to complete the trifecta. Not sure how much of an improvement Anne Robinson would be though.

It's basically unwatchable for me now anyway with Riley on it, she really has shown herself up as a nasty enough person underneath all the make up and glamour unfortunately. I still watch catsdown sometimes despite her though as I do like the show.

Has she started throwing the number tiles at contestants or something?

Does Rachel have someone in her ear telling her them maths equations or is she just a numbers whizz?? And she seems to know straight off if it’s not possible to reach so how can she tell that. There must be a team running an algorithm in the background. Although I do get them myself at least half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Has she started throwing the number tiles at contestants or something?

Now that I would tune in to watch!

Not sure if it’s gonna work out with Anne. She seems very shook. She has aged a lot since the weakest link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Now that I would tune in to watch!

I was prompting you to expand on the " she really has shown herself up as a nasty enough person underneath all the make up and glamour unfortunately" statement.
    She has aged a lot since the weakest link.

Weakest Link finished nearly 10 years ago and she is in her mid 70s so yeah she's aged.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I was prompting you to expand on the " she really has shown herself up as a nasty enough person underneath all the make up and glamour unfortunately" statement.

Weakest Link finished nearly 10 years ago and she is in her mid 70s so yeah she's aged.

After her first week or so I think it’s fair to say she is not a good host for Countdown. After Richard and Nick the standards were very high, but she is awful now. Slurring her words and being too slow, there is such a thing as being too old and knowing when it’s time to bow out gracefully.

Advertisement